Railroad Forums 

• FY 2014 Operating Budget etc etc etc etc...

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1192008  by Matthew Mitchell

zebrasepta wrote:Will this help SEPTA if it passes in the PA house of representatives?
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/polit ... enate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, though it could be improved: it's not quite up to the funding levels the governor's commission recommended. Start calling your legislators.
 #1192050  by 25Hz

Whatever happens by July 1, SEPTA needs long term funding stabilization, at a level that allows physical plant to be GSOR and fleet well maintained, with the possibility of expansion of routes and increases in service.
 #1192064  by Matthew Mitchell

25Hz wrote:Whatever happens by July 1, SEPTA needs long term funding stabilization, at a level that allows physical plant to be GSOR and fleet well maintained, with the possibility of expansion of routes and increases in service.
I repeat: start calling your state representatives. The bill as it is currently through the State Senate doesn't quite meet the recommendations of the governor's commission.
 #1192106  by 25Hz

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
25Hz wrote:Whatever happens by July 1, SEPTA needs long term funding stabilization, at a level that allows physical plant to be GSOR and fleet well maintained, with the possibility of expansion of routes and increases in service.
I repeat: start calling your state representatives. The bill as it is currently through the State Senate doesn't quite meet the recommendations of the governor's commission.
The ones here where i am are all ready on board. My pa district rep is very well situated to introduce bills that address a huge number of issues regarding rail transport & transit across the region.
 #1192118  by Matthew Mitchell

25Hz wrote:The ones here where i am are all ready on board. My pa district rep is very well situated to introduce bills that address a huge number of issues regarding rail transport & transit across the region.
Even if they're solid supporters, they need to be called. Emphasize getting the bill passed now instead of waiting for the end-of-fiscal year wheeling and dealing.
 #1205430  by BPP1999

sammy2009 wrote:How and where do you contact the ppl ?
Google "PA House" and "PA Senate" and click to where you can enter your address. I'd also consider sending an email or calling the governor's office as well. While he seems supportive of a infrastructure financing plan that provides for mass transit, some in the party do not. It's good for him to hear support for trains from the part of the state that is considered the black hole even though we subsidize the rest of the state.

I sent an email to my state rep (a Republican, like me) and he actually called me the next day and spoke with me for 5-10 minutes about SEPTA and rail restoration. He basically said there's lots of support but not enough funding (of course we all know this already).
 #1206102  by Clearfield

The lack of support and in fact vocal hostility toward public transit comes from the counties that benefit economically from it but don't use it.

Rep. Rick Saccone (R., Washington) referred to public transit as ‘pouring money down a black hole of inefficiency, patronage and corruption.’ Pun intended on his part.

We can lobby our local Senators and Reps all we like. They're on board. It's the Beverly Hillbillies elected to the PA legislature from rural areas of the state who don't get it and don't want to get it.

see: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/harr ... PWQbuQ6.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1206166  by trackwelder

Clearfield wrote: ‘pouring money down a black hole of inefficiency, patronage and corruption.’
not denying that we need the funding, but truth be told, he's kinda' right.
 #1206202  by Clearfield

jtaeffner wrote:not denying that we need the funding, but truth be told, he's kinda' right.
I disagree. Please give some examples.
 #1206372  by bikentransit

How about the nepotism that goes on at SEPTA? I'd personally love to see the payroll records to see how many family members, cousins, etc were all hired because they "know somebody".
And some of the salaries are outrageous. $95k to drive a bus, plus pension and 5 weeks vacation? The US median is about $27,000.
 #1206392  by tgolanos

bikentransit wrote:How about the nepotism that goes on at SEPTA? I'd personally love to see the payroll records to see how many family members, cousins, etc were all hired because they "know somebody".
Sources, or I call BS.
And some of the salaries are outrageous. $95k to drive a bus, plus pension and 5 weeks vacation? The US median is about $27,000.
If you had to deal with the threat of being shot while doing your job (route 47 incident, anyone?) or someone dying on your watch (MLF Nightowl incident), I'd think you'd say $95,000 is reasonable compensation.
 #1206395  by 25Hz

When talking salary and transit, it should be noted that the US does not have any living wage laws, only a federal minimum wage.

Minimum wage in most "1st world" countries is about 13-14 us dollars per hour.

The problem is not high transport wages, the problem is low minimum wage not tacked to cost of living index or inflation, and other wages and prices being affected by health insurance and other such costs.

Being a bus driver does come with dangers, and it is a very demanding job physical and/or mentally, as are most transportation jobs.

There's a lot more to all this but not going to get into it here. Generally things here in the US are very out of balance and the riding public often pays for it, which often further causes problems.
 #1206498  by trackwelder

Clearfield wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:not denying that we need the funding, but truth be told, he's kinda' right.
I disagree. Please give some examples.
tools that should be replaced (welders, compressors, etc.,) are rebuilt and rebuilt to the point where a new machine is paid for several times over in maintennce costs. i can't tell you how many times my truck has come fresh out the shop and broken down the same day. materials are wasted to an absurd degree, brand new, still in the box tools are thrown out so we can use up our capitol budget for the year instead of putting the money toward needed maintenance . recently, instead of fixing the motor, the ventilator fan was completely removed from the courtland track shop, due to neighbor complaints about the noise it made. not very far in the future, several of the hard working welders and machinists inside will pass out from heat exhaustion or respitory problems. septa will have to pay their medical bills and pay for re-installation of the vent fans. i'm told by some of the old hands that thing has been installed and removed about a dozen times over the last twenty years. i could go on, but i'd fill several pages with examples of management failure.