Railroad Forums 

• Stub Track in Trolley Tunnel

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1522465  by mcgrath618

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew more about the odd stub track that branches off of the trolley loop immediately after 13th. It also seems to be a wye, as I could’ve sworn I saw another one in the opposite direction as my trolley continued west.

Was this part of a never built subway-surface expansion? Was it a future spur for the 44?

Thanks!
 #1522477  by ekt8750

mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 am Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew more about the odd stub track that branches off of the trolley loop immediately after 13th. It also seems to be a wye, as I could’ve sworn I saw another one in the opposite direction as my trolley continued west.

Was this part of a never built subway-surface expansion? Was it a future spur for the 44?

Thanks!
The stub was just for clearing broke down cars off the line. The other area you saw was the original alignment of the tunnel going through 15th Station WB. That obviously isn't the original station the and it was rebuilt with the construction of Dilworth Plaza in the 70s.
 #1522500  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

ekt8750 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:35 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 am Hello all,

Thanks!
The stub was just for clearing broke down cars off the line. The other area you saw was the original alignment of the tunnel going through 15th Station WB. That obviously isn't the original station the and it was rebuilt with the construction of Dilworth Plaza in the 70s.
It is a vestige of the original north portion of the subway surface loop around/under city hall. When the center city commuter tunnel was built the north portion of the SS loop needed to be shifted South to allow for the CCCT. It is now in the area that was originally the north portion of the Market St Subway loop around city hall. The subway originally did not pass directly under city hall as today; it looped around city hall, essentially "inside" the SS loop. The space formerly occupied by the southern portion of the MFL loop still exists although closed off.
 #1522542  by ekt8750

mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:26 pm Thanks for the responses!

Another question, they were planning on burying the 44, no? I'm not just making that up, right?
It was the 38 (and possibly the 31) that was planned to share the 36th St Portal with the 10 but the National City Lines takeover put an end to that.
 #1522543  by JimBoylan

Actually, Rte. 31 was to be restored as a Market St. surface line, over the unused tracks on the new Market St. bridge over the Schuylkill River, after the El was torn down. The 2900 block of Market St. with new tracks had been raised, but not the El above them.