Railroad Forums 

• Last existing Baby Trainmaster in Tennessee

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#43983  by missthealcos

Baby trainmaster as in H16-66? if so, it isn't the only one, there is an ex Squaw Creek Coal unit in Canada
 #44199  by Peter

Back in 1995-96 when I was gathering info at the plant for my Railfan & Railroad article, TVA management at Gallatin stated flatly that, WHEN it was finally retired, it would be placed on permanent display at the entrance to the plant.

Unless management there has changed, I expect this is still the plan, but I haven't had an opportunity to visit there since that time, and anything is possible.

By the way, although FM itself never used the term "Baby Train Master" for this model, their official name for the larger H24-66 was "Train Master" - 2 words.

Peter

#46649  by steemtrayn

I often hear the H-16 44 referred to as baby train master. since the term was never officially used by F-M, is it ok to use it on both locos?

#47483  by mp15ac

"Officially" the name "Baby Train-Master" only referred to those H16-66 built in the Train-Master style carbody.

Stuart
 #47623  by Allen Hazen

Since it was never an official F-M designation, there's no saying WHAT "Baby Train Master" can and can't be applied to. I think I saw a discussion in "Trains" in the 1970s, in which someone argued that the (late carbody) H16-66 was a "Junior Train Master" and the similarly styled late H16-44 was the "Baby."
Do you suppose we should retroactively name the 1200 horsepower roadswitchers F-M built for CN (A1A trucks, for branch line service) and ATSF (B trucks, steam generator in short hood, for passenger switching) Pygmy and Dwarf Train Masters? (Grin!)

#53124  by FM/CLC Fan

Go to this page and you will find a "before and after" pic of the Squaw Creek/Peabody Coal H16-66 Baby Train Master. Scroll down to the 4th row, last picture on far right. Plus a whole lot of other FM's to drool over.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel35.html
 #58367  by fmnut

A few years ago (1997??) the Gallatin Steam Plant switched from getting rail shipped coal to barged coal (the plant is located right on a navigable waterway). I believe this was because the old coal contract ran out and the barges were able to give a better price to transport it from the new source. As such, the rail facilities, including the locomotives, were mothballed but are kept serviceable in case there is a need to change back to rail.

When I last visited the plant in 2000, the FM and the Alco were sitting back inside the plant by the rotary dumper. They were building a gas-turbine fired plant right along side the coal plant. I don't know if this was to replace or just supplement the power from the coal fired plant. From an emissions standpoint, gas is the way to go, but at today's gas prices, it's expensive electricity.

Rich Frey
Temple, PA

#59619  by FM/CLC Fan

A small price to pay for "cleaner" air.

I just looked at my January 1996 issue of Railfan Railroad which has a great article on TVA's H16-66. Lots of good pictures, past and present. One thing though, is I can't say much for the new two tone blue paint scheme.

#103938  by paintgun

New guy here with a question. Were the H16-44's turbocharged?

#104122  by Typewriters

No, they were normally aspirated --- which means 'normally aspirated for a two-stroke engine' -- they used a multi-lobe Roots blower for scavenging air, as did all Fairbanks-Morse locomotives.

Interestingly, time and again in Fairbanks-Morse manuals, reference is made to the fact that since the intake ports remain open after the exhaust ports are closed, the cylinders charge up to air box pressure.

FM P-235, page 4; "...The exhaust ports are covered ahead of the closing of the inlet ports. This permits scavenging air to continue to enter and fill the cylinder with supercharged air at approximately the scavenging air pressure."

This "supercharging" effect did not prevent the engines from being derated when operated at significant altitude, though, and was by far no substitute for turbocharging.

-Will Davis

#104471  by paintgun

Thanks.

#187633  by Centurylover68

FM/CLC Fan, while I was looking at your picture of the H-16-66 I noticed Ferrocarril de Chihuahua Al Pacific #520. What the heck is that? Do my eyes decieve me or is that a FM that recieved a chop job? Very interesting!! I've never seen anything like that
 #280239  by ivanlove

I photographed one in Windsor Ontario , may years ago. It had been rebuilt in Montreal and was returning home.

#294381  by sixaxlealcoII

Can anyone tell me if the H-16-66 is built in the same frame and carbody as the H-24-66 ? Are the two units identical in outward appearance ?

Michael Thomas