Railroad Forums 

• I "FOUND" A SET OF C-LINER TRUCKS

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#300470  by Allen Hazen

No, Monongahela's weirdness was BLW "Sharknoses." EDM5970's suggestion is plausible: that the railwelding cars (as the units had become) were serviced on the BLE at some point, explaining the stencil. I have no information of when the ex-Erie-builts were used in railwelding service. I recall seeing what must have been one of them, on a siding near the Albany-Renselaer Amtrak station, in (probably) 1976 or 1977. Painted a shade of blue not too far from Conrail's locomotive color.

#300935  by EDM5970

I asked the right guy the right questions today, and found out that the trucks were from PRR B units. My source thought they were used in rail grinding service, BTW.

The units (4 in all) were used in the east, and wound up in storage in Smith's Falls, Ontario, before moving to Western Canada. Three units were scrapped, but the fourth is still around, in Canada, and may still be relatively complete.

In spite of being on A-1-A trucks, PRR used these units as freight power, and they were painted and geared as PRR freight power.

Doyle got the trucks from the scrapped units; one pair is under 190, one pair is under the Smithsonian's unit, and the third pair is being held as a spare.

#301030  by scottychaos

looking for some pics of these B-units..
and the surviving 4th unit.

There are two surviving C-liner B units in western Canada,
but they appear to be CPA 16-4 units..B-B trucks,
not our beasties.

ok..sorry, but im confused..are we talking about Erie Builts?
I always thought Erie Builts were different from C-liners.

From what I can gather (and please correct me if im wrong)
is that C-liners came in two truck arrangements,
B-B or B-A1A

Only Erie-builts came in A1A-A1A..

If this is correct, then the 3 sets of trucks,,the pair that is the subject of this thread, and the other 2 sets currently under the two Alco PA's, must be from FM Erie-Builts and not C-liners..
correct or no?

if correct, we arent dealing with C-liners here at all...

Scot

#301041  by scottychaos

ah! finally some pics found!
(hard to find!)

some PRR Erie Builts:

http://ohiorr.railfan.net/images/prr9490.jpg

http://ohiorr.railfan.net/images/prr9475.jpg

http://ohiorr.railfan.net/images/prr9459.jpg

about that 4th surviving B-unit in Canada..
is there some confusion with surviving Canadian C-liners?
or is there really a PRR Erie-Built B-unit still floating around somewhere?

Scot

#301054  by Allen Hazen

Scottychaos--
You're right, C-Liners were either B-B or B-A1A, and the (earlier, but somewhat similar in appearance) Erie-builts were A1A-A1A. The A1A truck used on five-axle C-Liners seems (going on photographs, so I can speak at most of external appearance) to be the same as that used on Erie-builts. (Well, as that used on Erie-builts with drop-equalizer trucks: some Eries had a unique A1A truck with welded rather than cast frame and external equalizer levers above the journals.)
As for details of internal structure... The trucks were used with three different kinds of traction motors, so there may have been some variation in the t.m. mounts. (Erie-builts used a large GE t.m. -- I think model 746 -- U.S. built C-liners used Westinghouse, and the CN's five-axle C-liners were apparently the only C-liners built with GE equipment, including 752 motors.) However, since I doubt there are many GE 746 motors floating around, Doyle McCormack must have found that it is possible to mount 752 motors in an Erie-built's truck!

#330936  by David Hutchinson

I posted this on another thread, but maybe I should state it here, also. I took a photo of a Erie built B unit painted blue and lettered for, I think, RAMX, in Rutherford on the Reading in the late 70's or early 80's. I am going to look for the slide. The unit was on some type of rail welding train and had it's six axle trucks.

#331251  by CLC Fan

scottychaos wrote:about that 4th surviving B-unit in Canada..
is there some confusion with surviving Canadian C-liners?
Hope I can clear that up. There are two former Canadian Pacific C-Liner 'B' units stored in Alberta. They were donated by BC Rail who used them as Robot units.

These are the only two officially known to exist. However, back in the summer of 1986, I personally saw the shells of 2 other CPR C-liner 'B' units used as a storage shed in an industrial yard in Calgary, Alberta. I have been unable to verify if they are still there.

And, of course, there's the 'A' units: #4104 privately owned and operating and #4065 in a museum awaiting cosmetic restoration.

Those interested in CPR FM/CLC's might be interested in: http://members.shaw.ca/cprclc/

#332263  by David Hutchinson

I just looked at my slide of the B unit. It appears to be original, except for the fact that the fans are gone. Two huge holes in the roof, not covered up. The unit is RAMX and a freshly painted RAMX flat car is coupled to it. July, 1983. The unit does have six axle trucks and looks pretty good.
 #1134261  by FMFan

Saw this old thread and it prompts a question. I've never heard, butdoes anyone know if these Erie B's, when in rail welding service, still used their as delivered OP engines for "power" for the welding? Of course not for traction, pe se, as they were likely pulled by whatever power happened to be around on the home road, or maybe by a TM that somehow slippe dthru the cracks? :)