Railroad Forums 

• Trident OP

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#1459817  by mtuandrew

Fairbanks-Morse just introduced a new Tier 4 opposed-piston engine system: the Trident OP. There’s no sign that FM is developing it as anything other than a stationary powerplant, but the company DOES brag about its Train Master locomotives on their homepage... one can dream.

Does anyone here want to try to get FM’s white paper on the Trident?
 #1459894  by pablo

I downloaded it; I don't know about the legalities of posting it even though it's a very soft barrier to get it. Let me review it a bit and check in with a friend in the industry and offer some thoughts.

Dave Becker
 #1459896  by pablo

OK: this paper is thin on the specifics of power and all that.

There are stated cost savings through its use, where you are making your money back in about year 2 of what is claimed to be a 30-year engine. Also, there is a stated 5-year period between major overhauls.

Looks to be about 15% more fuel-efficient than whatever the item being benchmarked was. I do not see what the opposition was here.

Stated repeatedly was how an OP engine will have further inherent benefits with fewer moving parts that typical engines would have. However...we already knew that, right? :-D

Dave Becker