• stations that once exisited-

  • Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, Kaback9, ACeInTheHole

  by Roadgeek Adam
 
sullivan1985 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:As for the list, going back pretty far, but Ferndale on the Main Line in Glen Rock, the original Cedar Grove station on the NY&GL, not the Caldwell Branch station, Singac for the Montclair-Boonton, Ramapo, Hillburn, Sterlington, Cuddebackville all on the Southern Tier. Pascack Valley: Hillsdale Manor, Fairmount Avenue (closed 1980s), Central Avenue, Passaic Avenue (that only lasted 8 years from 1861 - 1869 anyway). Morristown Line: Wharton
Bah! Fairmont Avenue! I should have remembered that. That was still in the NJT paperwork before the PV was made 562.
Pardon me asking, but what is a 562?
  by Ken W2KB
 
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:As for the list, going back pretty far, but Ferndale on the Main Line in Glen Rock, the original Cedar Grove station on the NY&GL, not the Caldwell Branch station, Singac for the Montclair-Boonton, Ramapo, Hillburn, Sterlington, Cuddebackville all on the Southern Tier. Pascack Valley: Hillsdale Manor, Fairmount Avenue (closed 1980s), Central Avenue, Passaic Avenue (that only lasted 8 years from 1861 - 1869 anyway). Morristown Line: Wharton
Bah! Fairmont Avenue! I should have remembered that. That was still in the NJT paperwork before the PV was made 562.
Pardon me asking, but what is a 562?
I suspect the refernce is to the NJT version of this Rule: http://felttip.com/svmetro/septawatch/s ... le-562.php
  by ThirdRail7
 
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:As for the list, going back pretty far, but Ferndale on the Main Line in Glen Rock, the original Cedar Grove station on the NY&GL, not the Caldwell Branch station, Singac for the Montclair-Boonton, Ramapo, Hillburn, Sterlington, Cuddebackville all on the Southern Tier. Pascack Valley: Hillsdale Manor, Fairmount Avenue (closed 1980s), Central Avenue, Passaic Avenue (that only lasted 8 years from 1861 - 1869 anyway). Morristown Line: Wharton
Bah! Fairmont Avenue! I should have remembered that. That was still in the NJT paperwork before the PV was made 562.
Pardon me asking, but what is a 562?
A method of operation, secifically cab signals without fixed automatic waysides signals.

Along the lines of what the original poster asked, which of the many, many, many stations that are listed do I think NJ would bring back if the town wanted it? I think it would be feasible (due to politics) to restore Interlaken/Allenhurst to operation. It would be a pain, but if people in the area (and Deal) made a push, they'd get it done.

Considering there was a plan afoot years ago to restore Adams, that would be possible

Additionally, if Merck paid to make N.Rahway ADA accessible (which is why it closed) I suspect it could rise again.
  by michaelk
 
Nexis4Jersey wrote:...

a Station adds between 1-5 mins , that's barely anything..... Of course people seem to whine over little things in this region....and when a stop adds alot of ridership the transit agency wins and receives more revenue.
there's a cost to everything.

lets say it's 2.5 minutes. that's 2.5 morning and night or 5 minutes a day. lets say ~230 commuting days a year (accounting for holidays and vacation) and you get 1150 minutes a year or over 19hrs more a year on the train. So they can't just pooh pooh that it's barely anything. There has to be enough benefit to justify things. As an example i happen to have experience with - the RVL is about at the maximum pain point for many traveling from Raritan to NY. Adding back Manville, as an example, might just be the straw that broke the camels back for some subset of riders.

all those little minutes add up and they factor in to people's opinions and behavior if the train is valuable to them or not.

Now if they were going to add (back) more stations AND also restore (or add) express service then maybe the time costs can be ignored (at the expense of operational costs... no free rides...)
  by mtuandrew
 
The proposed new Adams location nearer the Renaissance development would have been great for me a year ago, since I often visited friends that lived in those North Brunswick townhomes. More importantly to New Jersey, it would be a very convenient park and ride from US 1 and 130 to supplement Metropark and Harrison.
  by Roadgeek Adam
 
mtuandrew wrote:The proposed new Adams location nearer the Renaissance development would have been great for me a year ago, since I often visited friends that lived in those North Brunswick townhomes. More importantly to New Jersey, it would be a very convenient park and ride from US 1 and 130 to supplement Metropark and Harrison.
My main problem with Adams Station is, where do you put parking? You don't have many options.

North Rahway: There's not much ridership potential pardoning Merck employees if you ask me, which really blows the point. If this was going to be done, it should've happened in 1993, not now.

I mean we can all dream, but of any proposal given here, I get the feeling the only one that will happen in the next 10-20 years would be Ampere's restoration, since East Orange has already started work on that.
  by sullivan1985
 
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Pardon me asking, but what is a 562?
It's a form of ABS/CSS (Automatic Block System/Cab Signal System) that exclusively uses cab signals between controlled points. The automatic blocks still exist, but the aspects that would be displayed on the wayside automatic are only seen in the cab. Amtrak uses this system between Newark and New York as a way to shorten the blocks and cram more trains into a smaller area.

The entire EoH Metro-North system uses this system but they have their own name for it.
  by timz
 
cobra30689 wrote:Even though Harrison is listed as a station in the NEC timetable, I don't believe it was ever a passenger station even back in the PRR days
Until about 1928 it was.
  by TSTOM
 
Adam -

" I mean we can all dream, but of any proposal given here, I get the feeling the only one that will happen in the next 10-20 years would be Ampere's restoration, since East Orange has already started work on that. "

Really ? Hard to envision how this would be a priority project within NJT.

Do you have a link on this or can you expound on what work is underway at Ampere ?

( not to nit-pic ya but Ampere station is totally gone. If true, this would be a 'rebuild' as opposed to a 'restoration' ;-) )
  by morris&essex4ever
 
TSTOM wrote:Adam -

" I mean we can all dream, but of any proposal given here, I get the feeling the only one that will happen in the next 10-20 years would be Ampere's restoration, since East Orange has already started work on that. "

Really ? Hard to envision how this would be a priority project within NJT.

Do you have a link on this or can you expound on what work is underway at Ampere ?

( not to nit-pic ya but Ampere station is totally gone. If true, this would be a 'rebuild' as opposed to a 'restoration' ;-) )
Not the most reliable source but, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere_%28 ... _of_Ampere
  by N4J
 
They haven't started work on anything , except some general city improvements. There studying the Ampere station , Light Rail service on the NS East Orange branch (Extension of the NLR - 2.2 miles) , and a Busway on Park Ave similar to the SBS , but nothing has moved and thats due to the economy. The reason for Ampere restoration was to attract developers to that section of EO , which is pretty blighted , and Developers in this region will only develop around Railway stations or LRT lines. The LRT extension might be worth the cost and would have better return then Ampere , since theres a ton of land in EO that is vacant along the line. I do monitor and document most of Urban Jersey Transit , Commercial and Residential Projects , there hasn't been any movement in 5 years on Ampere , the Busway and LRT are relatively new ideas....

The Harrison station has been floating around for 2 years , and with the way there allowing developments in that city , another station will be needed.
  by morris&essex4ever
 
I don't see Harrison getting a station anytime soon, especially not on the M&E.
  by N4J
 
morris&essex4ever wrote:I don't see Harrison getting a station anytime soon, especially not on the M&E.
Well I don't see anything needed till the mid 2020s.... , same with Ampere station....these stations are at least a decade and half out....
  by mtuandrew
 
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:The proposed new Adams location nearer the Renaissance development would have been great for me a year ago, since I often visited friends that lived in those North Brunswick townhomes. More importantly to New Jersey, it would be a very convenient park and ride from US 1 and 130 to supplement Metropark and Harrison.
My main problem with Adams Station is, where do you put parking? You don't have many options.
There seems to be plenty of open land at the Johnson & Johnson site off US 1, where the new Adams is proposed. It's more difficult on the US 130/Renaissance side with Amtrak's Adams base there, but there's room abutting Renaissance Blvd N that could be used for parking. Getting creative, NJT could lease Amtrak's air rights over the Adams employee parking lot and build a ramp closer to the actual station site. That minimizes the length of overhead walkways or tunnels needed.

Sorry for the off-topic discussion, everyone :wink:
  by Roadgeek Adam
 
Before you all start trying to make me look like the idiot,

http://www.reconnectingamerica.org/asse ... ice241.pdf

That is the study released in 2005 about restoration of Ampere, which will need to be redone anyway, considering the platform is collapsing within. I know it, because I took the photos I posted of it collapsing.