• NCS to Broad Street Station ("Newark Light Rail")

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ryanov

pgengler wrote:(people have to walk over to the station on Broad St. near Washington park, it looks like).
Broad Street Station will be much closer, and trains will probably be queued up most of the time.

by ryanov

It's looking like very little money is being wasted on that stop. Looks like all it will be is a stop -- the rails were going to be there anyway, so why should people have to wait for the light to get off the train when it will run through the front lawn?

by gravelyfan

Lots of repaving in the last day or so; much of Broad Street near Broad Street Station seems to have been done overnight Wed into Thursday.

Also, around 4 pm today I was suprised to see Light Rail Car 118 sitting on the "inbound" track on Lombardy Street. The pantograph was up and the car seemed "live". Lots of folks in vests walking around.

by ryanov

The rest appears to have been done sometime last night. They were paving large sections of it last night. I rode on a newly-paved section on the 39 bus. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
  by Electrify the RVL!

Went to a Bears game Saturday night (cu-hold!). Driving home afterwards along McCarter Highway, saw signs warning that the rail line was now "active."

I take it that this would be for test runs only, but how active could it be?

by Al Holleuffer

Much to my surprise when I stopped at Broad Street Friday at 1:35 p.m. on Train 871 I heard a horn and looked down at the new City Subway Extension to see an LRV heading inbound toward Penn Station on a test run. I guess that answers that question. I brought my digital camera today in hopes of catching another test run but no luck.

by ryanov

There were many LRV's running today, it seemed. I saw 111 and 102 when I came past Broad at about 6:30. I almost ran into another gentleman who was photographing there as well -- had "Thomas" something or other on his name badge. Anyone from here?

by Ken W2KB

I took a round trip Monday/Tuesday business trip NWK <> WAS on the Acela, and while perusing the Amtrak magazine noted that one of the articles mentioned the imminent opening of the Lightrail branch making it easy for folks to take Amtrak to Newark Penn and get to the Bear's games. Another article touted the Performing Arts Center, but didn't mention the new Lightrail station there.

by Sirsonic

Copied this from the NJT service advisories page:
May 03, 2006 12:55:54 PM
Testing on the Newark City Subway Extension will begin at 3pm. The 11, 28, 29, 72, 76, and 78 buses will be on detour. At Broad and Lackawanna, buses will make a R on Lackawanna and L on University.

by JLo

Anyone want to wager on the date of the first traffic accident involving the LRVs? I predict June 30. :-D

by ryanov

I saw that message the other day -- I don't follow how that's a "detour." That's the route of those buses lately, whenever Lackawanna is actually open for traffic. Otherwise they use Orange (all use University when it is open).

by bonaire

JLo, is June 30 the first day of service? If so, my money's with you.

by Frogger

before June 30th. :-) There will be an accident before it is open to the public. Just watch. :-D

by ryanov

Some more pictures -- I do not have the Broad Street Station and the subway separated out, so there is a mix:

http://tinyurl.com/ebmrw

by kilroy

Thanks for the pictures ryanov. I haven't been there in a few years and it looks like things have really changed. Guess I'll take in a Bears game this year.