• NCS to Broad Street Station ("Newark Light Rail")

  • Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, Kaback9, ACeInTheHole

  • 459 posts
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 31

  by gravelyfan
 
Today the Loram rail grinder machine was parked off the rail, with wood blocks under each wheel, at the staging area near Lombardy Street.

I also noted a green signal aspect at the signal approaching the tunnel portal (on the inbound track) - this was the first time I've seen any of the interlocking signals display anything other than red.

  by ryanov
 
The asphault has been removed from the Broad Street crossing at, what is that, Atlantic Ave? Whichever one was covered, at any rate. ;)

  by ryanov
 
I see buses are using Lackawanna Ave. this morning (appears as if a car just drove in there too). Since Orange street has been made no turns (why? awful!), this is a pretty good thing... also since the buses I use commonly took University and I'd rather they get on empty University from Broad as soon as possible.

  by MickD
 
Has a prospective opening date been suggested at all?

  by ryanov
 
Not other than "summer."

FYI has a lot of info on it, but nothing concrete. Does not appear to have hit the web yet, but the paper copy is out there.

  by JLo
 
Speaking to a supervisor at Newark Broad St on Wednesday, he indicated end of June as the date they expected to be finished. As for the Newark Broad Station work, the project is expected to continue until 2008.

  by ryanov
 
Wow. Have they even BEGUN the station over by NJPAC? Unless I'm mistaken, I'd expect there to be a lot more to the station at Riverfront Stadium as well. Seems like just rails and sidewalk there.

  by gravelyfan
 
ryanov wrote:Wow. Have they even BEGUN the station over by NJPAC? Unless I'm mistaken, I'd expect there to be a lot more to the station at Riverfront Stadium as well. Seems like just rails and sidewalk there.
Lots of recent work at NJPAC; crews seem to be working overtime (later into the evening) there of late.

I think the staduim platform is just that; presumably no one would ever be waiting there for a train (just used to drop off on the outbound trip) so there is no canopy or TVM.

  by MickD
 
Is NJPAC above or below ground station?I stay at the Robert Treat often
so this is gonna make things alot easier for me.

  by themallard
 
MickD wrote:Is NJPAC above or below ground station?I stay at the Robert Treat often
so this is gonna make things alot easier for me.
Above ground; all the stations on the extension are above ground, with covered platform areas.

  by pgengler
 
gravelyfan wrote:I think the staduim platform is just that; presumably no one would ever be waiting there for a train (just used to drop off on the outbound trip) so there is no canopy or TVM.
No one going back to Newark Penn, maybe, but people wanted to go from the stadium to Newark Broad would be waiting for a train, and would probably want to have a canopy and TVM around.

  by MickD
 
Just how many stations will there'll be??

  by Frogger
 
pgengler wrote:
gravelyfan wrote:I think the staduim platform is just that; presumably no one would ever be waiting there for a train (just used to drop off on the outbound trip) so there is no canopy or TVM.
No one going back to Newark Penn, maybe, but people wanted to go from the stadium to Newark Broad would be waiting for a train, and would probably want to have a canopy and TVM around.
You do know that Riverfront stadium is right next to Newark Broad. It's about 1,000 feet between where the stadium platform will be and where the Newark Broad platform will be. The stop there was just designed to get people to the stadium from Penn. Though I do suppose people would want to get back to Penn, right? So they should have a TVM.

  by pgengler
 
Frogger wrote:You do know that Riverfront stadium is right next to Newark Broad. It's about 1,000 feet between where the stadium platform will be and where the Newark Broad platform will be. The stop there was just designed to get people to the stadium from Penn. Though I do suppose people would want to get back to Penn, right? So they should have a TVM.
The map doesn't give much sense of scale; I didn't know the station was that close, so in that case, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a complete station there, since it's only served by trains going to Newark Broad, since the Penn-bound station isn't in the same spot (people have to walk over to the station on Broad St. near Washington park, it looks like).
  by NJT 4402
 
New Jersey Tranist is wasting a lot of money on Bears & Eagles Stadium Station. B&E is accross the street from Broad Street Station. You would think that NJT does not need that stop. It goes past the stadium Broad Street Station is only a short walk across the street from the stadium. I think that the money was wasted to do this.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 31