Railroad Forums 

• NCS to Broad Street Station ("Newark Light Rail")

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#161550  by Nasadowsk

Too public an area :(

#161798  by Lackawanna484

And, the NJT police department is across the street. :-D

I don't know if it's still the case, but the lot at Newark-Broad where officers park their vehicles has been guarded 24/7.

#166090  by james1787

Now you see it.. now you don't...

Last Friday it looked like there was nice progress made on the crossing nearest broad street station - they even had cobblestone layed down! It appeared they were getting relatively close to completing the crossing.

This morning I took a look and saw they removed everything - track, concrete, cobblestones... sounds like someone goofed??

#166100  by Ken W2KB

james1787 wrote:This morning I took a look and saw they removed everything - track, concrete, cobblestones... sounds like someone goofed??
Can't say for the concrete, but scrap iron and Belgian block (I suspect it was this and not cobblestones which are unprocessed natural stone and vary in size) are valuable. It is not unusual for when long-buried under macadam pavement trolley track Belgian blocks are removed for underground utility work they get stolen overnight.

Most likely explanation, though I expect, is that someone forgot a mandatory inspection of the roadbed.

#166108  by james1787

Ken,
This was new construction, not uncovered trolley tracks. I've been watching the progess daily on the Newark Broad to Newark Penn line. They had the tracks in, they had concrete layed down, and as of thursday and friday they had cobblestone in at the crossing. This morning the crossing was entirely removed - tracks, concrete, stone and all.

#166143  by Lackawanna484

Years ago, somebody stole jelliff avenue in newark.

One whole block of belgian stone pavement. The police, who hadn't noticed a thing in this industrial area, figured it was 5-6 truckloads of stone.

So, maybe the crossing was stolen. I wonder if they took the W sign off the Westinghouse wall while they were at it?

#166198  by JLo

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you see it.. now you don't...

Last Friday it looked like there was nice progress made on the crossing nearest broad street station - they even had cobblestone layed down! It appeared they were getting relatively close to completing the crossing.

This morning I took a look and saw they removed everything - track, concrete, cobblestones... sounds like someone goofed??
Not unusual in this town. I watched the corner of McCarter and Market St have its brand new brick crossing walks put in, taken out, reinstalled, torn up for a water leak, reinstalled, torn up for installation of fiber optic, reinstalled and torn up for another leak, all in the space of 6 months.

#166356  by james1787

Have no fear.. I must have been half awake or simply didn't see it from my vantage point.. but it's all still there! It wasn't stolen.. perhaps I need to get my eyeglasses checked!

#166847  by Lackawanna484

I had the opportunity to walk along much of the new Light Rail line today. It's coming along well.

In the around around Broad street station, the two tracks are in, switches in place, rebar for the station in place. This double track leads out to the sidewalk of Broad Street, where it ends, abruptly. Maybe 1,000 feet in that section.

Gap of about 250 feet across Broad street.

The foundations for a single track begin again in front of the Bears stadium, and continue up to Bridge street. That's maybe 700 feet. Gap across Bridge Street.

The single track continues behind IDT (the old Mutual Benefit) and across Rector (?) street, and alongside the NJ PAC. Somewhere in there, it widens to two tracks, and crosses Center Street. Lots of construction activity at Center Street and the tunnel opening. A construction guy said they expect to wrap up "before Christmas"

#170454  by ryanov

Are you sure? I've walked by the bridge street area twice in the past month, and I'm nearly CERTAIN the tracks are in.

#170600  by Lackawanna484

ryanov wrote:Are you sure? I've walked by the bridge street area twice in the past month, and I'm nearly CERTAIN the tracks are in.
You could be right. I wasn't taking notes as I walked. Next time I'm down at Bridge Street, I'll take a look.

#173672  by james1787

Watching the progress this week led me to ask a few questions here.

I figured that the tracks would cut straight across broad street and connect with the tracks on the other side of the street. Well this is not the case. One of the two tracks actually turns and runs along broad street now. Do the tracks actually split off so they can go around river front stadium? I am quite puzzled by this..

#173684  by Ken W2KB

james1787 wrote:Watching the progress this week led me to ask a few questions here.

I figured that the tracks would cut straight across broad street and connect with the tracks on the other side of the street. Well this is not the case. One of the two tracks actually turns and runs along broad street now. Do the tracks actually split off so they can go around river front stadium? I am quite puzzled by this..

#173744  by james1787

Ken,
Thanks for posting the map! That certainly answers my question.

James

#174473  by james1787

As we rolled by on our way to Hoboken this morning, I noticed that they must have cut Broad Street for the ROW sometime over the weekend. They had metal plates covering the ROW diagonally across Broad Street. I can only guess that they are working on this crossing at night time when broad street is less busy and they can easily re-route traffic.