• HBLRT going west?

  • Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, Kaback9, ACeInTheHole

  by JPhurst
 
Just saw this article re: NJ Transit's directors voting for light rail extension to the west.

http://www.rail.co/2011/05/13/nj-transi ... l-service/

Questions:

1. Does this just put it on a "wish list" for funding applications? Is there any commitment to build at this time?

2. If this extension does go, where does it get priority vis a vis the Northern Branch option? Wasn't that a "Locally Preferred Alternative" as well?

As a resident of Jersey City the extension westward might be of greater immediate benefit to me. But I've always thought that the Northern Branch was a more necessary project from a "big picture" perspective.
  by Steve F45
 
why doesn't NJT relax with the hudson part of the name and focus on the bergen part that seems to just fall to the waist side. What is the status of the northern branch today?
  by oknazevad
 
Well, honestly, I've always thought the HBLR name was a bit of a misnomer. The name would have been okay for the very original idea of going via Edgewater to the Vince Lombardi park and ride, but back then it was supposed to be called the "Waterfront Light Rail", if I'm not mistaken. (Corrections welcome.) By the time the current name was chosen, the plans included the Weehawken tunnel instead, but didn't actually include Bergen County. So the name makes no sense.

The Northern Branch extension would make the name fit, but it doesn't seem to be getting any traction (pardon the pun). And toma certain extent I've always questioned the need, as, outside of Englewood (and maybe Tenafly), the line's location isn't great for light rail, as it's too far from residential areas (especially in Leonia and Pal Park).

Still, if it's built, I'll be on the first train. (Like you Steve, I live in New Milford, and would likely use it often).
  by cruiser939
 
JPhurst wrote:Just saw this article re: NJ Transit's directors voting for light rail extension to the west.

http://www.rail.co/2011/05/13/nj-transi ... l-service/

Questions:

1. Does this just put it on a "wish list" for funding applications? Is there any commitment to build at this time?

2. If this extension does go, where does it get priority vis a vis the Northern Branch option? Wasn't that a "Locally Preferred Alternative" as well?

As a resident of Jersey City the extension westward might be of greater immediate benefit to me. But I've always thought that the Northern Branch was a more necessary project from a "big picture" perspective.
1. Just puts the project on a list of other projects that NJT is pursuing. There is no commitment at this time.

2. There is no priority for projects. Whichever gets funding first gets released first.
  by necrails
 
There is nothing new here. This is simply the next step in the process that has been underway for some time now. If the developement along the riverfront proceeds as planned, the extension of LR to that development will proceed. The studies have been completed and the route selected so why not vote and get the approval on the books.
  by Caboose
 
Is there anyway they could extend the northern terminus west over the swamps of Secaucus to the Meadlowlands. That would be useful once the new mall opens at Meadowlands. American Dream or whatever theyre calling it now.
  by HBLR
 
There is the branch from PVL main to the meadowlands complex, and tons of bus service.

The extension across 440, while not ideal for everyone, allows a large residential development to have a non-car alternative. Not sure how many commenting here have ever been on 440, but it's an overpack nightmare of traffic hell quite often. Would allow that area to access manhattan & Newark quickly & simply.

The only thing that bothers me is the seeming lack of connection directly to Hoboken terminal from this new end point. Perhaps they could terminate both lines at Hoboken and have a single car go between tonnelle and Hoboken, slightly more frequently than the "yellow" line runs now, then weekends change it to separate "yellow" and "blue" lines, with yellow bypassing Hoboken terminal. Not sure if that would work, but it would allow direct commuter connections via all 3 routes & the big train terminal (which also connects with PATH).

As for the northern branch line.. They have a plan and a design and could start construction soon, they just need money & all the proper permissions & permits.
  by Caboose
 
There is pretty good bus service to Meadowlands from Manhattan, but there is no route from Hoboken for example. And the train from Hoboken only runs game days. I don't believe there is even a single bus route the runs to Meadowlands from Tonnelle Avenue or Bergenline station, which is a MAJOR oversight. If you take the HBLR north, you have to get off, take a bus route south, and then wait, and take ANOTHER route to Meadowlands. If HBLR won't go to Meadowlands, there should at least be a route that runs there from the stations.
  by waldwickrailfan
 
Caboose wrote:There is pretty good bus service to Meadowlands from Manhattan, but there is no route from Hoboken for example. And the train from Hoboken only runs game days. I don't believe there is even a single bus route the runs to Meadowlands from Tonnelle Avenue or Bergenline station, which is a MAJOR oversight. If you take the HBLR north, you have to get off, take a bus route south, and then wait, and take ANOTHER route to Meadowlands. If HBLR won't go to Meadowlands, there should at least be a route that runs there from the stations.
when that new place mall thign opens, then they will provide service almost everyday. although it sometimes could be crappy service. also instead of Tonnelle or bergenline, you should transfer at Hoboken when it opens.
  by HBLR
 
Just be glad red and tan isn't going to get any more routes, that would sure make a good idea ruined and fast.
  by Caboose
 
waldwickrailfan wrote:
Caboose wrote:There is pretty good bus service to Meadowlands from Manhattan, but there is no route from Hoboken for example. And the train from Hoboken only runs game days. I don't believe there is even a single bus route the runs to Meadowlands from Tonnelle Avenue or Bergenline station, which is a MAJOR oversight. If you take the HBLR north, you have to get off, take a bus route south, and then wait, and take ANOTHER route to Meadowlands. If HBLR won't go to Meadowlands, there should at least be a route that runs there from the stations.
when that new place mall thign opens, then they will provide service almost everyday. although it sometimes could be crappy service. also instead of Tonnelle or bergenline, you should transfer at Hoboken when it opens.
Yeah, but will it be good service, or will it be like one train per hour per direction? Will the train run late, so you'll be able to catch a late night movie at the new mall and then take the train home afterward?
  by HBLR
 
That mall makes my eyes bleed. I'll stick to newport.
  by waldwickrailfan
 
Caboose wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:
Caboose wrote:There is pretty good bus service to Meadowlands from Manhattan, but there is no route from Hoboken for example. And the train from Hoboken only runs game days. I don't believe there is even a single bus route the runs to Meadowlands from Tonnelle Avenue or Bergenline station, which is a MAJOR oversight. If you take the HBLR north, you have to get off, take a bus route south, and then wait, and take ANOTHER route to Meadowlands. If HBLR won't go to Meadowlands, there should at least be a route that runs there from the stations.
when that new place mall thign opens, then they will provide service almost everyday. although it sometimes could be crappy service. also instead of Tonnelle or bergenline, you should transfer at Hoboken when it opens.
Yeah, but will it be good service, or will it be like one train per hour per direction? Will the train run late, so you'll be able to catch a late night movie at the new mall and then take the train home afterward?
i cannot answer than question yet. but NJT did have very crowded trains for the gameday trains, so i would expect worse than that on football seasons. however, maybe not as many people on weekdays, offseason.
  by HBLR
 
Is there wire up there? I have not had a chance to look for myself yet. If so i'd say run an arrow pair a la princeton shuttle. If there are no wires, perhaps a reliable GP and 3 cars, all comet 4 for middle doors.
  by waldwickrailfan
 
HBLR wrote:Is there wire up there? I have not had a chance to look for myself yet. If so i'd say run an arrow pair a la princeton shuttle. If there are no wires, perhaps a reliable GP and 3 cars, all comet 4 for middle doors.
there is no wire on the Meadowlands line. they usually use any diesel(usually a GP40) and 5-7 comet 5's, sometimes 4's