West Trenton Line Article

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

F23A4
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:43 pm

Post by F23A4 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:15 pm

I wonder how much ridership would originate from Central and Upper Bucks County, PA commuters heading to Nwk/NYC.

JLo
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:36 pm
Location: Rather Be Anywhere But Here

Post by JLo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:14 pm

Some very optimistic people in Ewing are considering a transit village application for the West Trenton station.

http://www.nj.com/news/times/mercer/ind ... 299220.xml
"One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor." George Carlin

Lackawanna484

Post by Lackawanna484 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:39 pm

F23A4 wrote:I wonder how much ridership would originate from Central and Upper Bucks County, PA commuters heading to Nwk/NYC.
There's quite a few people already using the Princeton Jct station who have PA license plates. I'd guess there are some (many?) at Lawrence, too. And, Trenton has always had a lot of PA plates in the rip-off lots near the station.

BlockLine_4111
Posts: 1939
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Northern NJ

Post by BlockLine_4111 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:07 pm

An old buddy of mine lives in Hillsborough. I think the West Trenton line is nearby. That area has gone through eXPlosIVE growth and dense packing of the populace. Bring back the train !

JLo
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:36 pm
Location: Rather Be Anywhere But Here

Post by JLo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:14 pm

IMHO, reinstating West Trenton service is a no brainer. There is growth throughout Montgomery, Hillsborough, Princeton Twp. and Hopewell to support it. The problem is again the cost. The freights demand a flyover over at Reading Jct, which essentially doubles the cost of the restart. Plus, additional trains have to run on the Lehigh Line between Newark and Aldene, a no-no for both NS and CSX absent a payoff in either triple tracking on that segment or double tracking from Potters to Bound Brook.

p.s. Hillsborough is not near West Trenton. About 35 miles apart, I think.
"One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor." George Carlin

Lackawanna484

Post by Lackawanna484 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:05 pm

JLo wrote:Hillsborough is not near West Trenton. About 35 miles apart, I think.
Actually, it's about 24 miles by rail from Bound Brook to "Trenton" on the Reading NY Short Line, so Hillsborough is probably 2 miles less.

I agree the deal is a non-brainer, and could be installed in a few days if necessary. Los Angeles opened a brand new commuter line to Santa Clarita and added three stations, parking lots, etc over a long weekend following an earthquake. Should take NJ about 10-15 years to open a line where track already exists, etc.

AKelley728

Post by AKelley728 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:25 am

Lackawanna484 wrote:There's quite a few people already using the Princeton Jct station who have PA license plates. I'd guess there are some (many?) at Lawrence, too. And, Trenton has always had a lot of PA plates in the rip-off lots near the station.
Lawrence? You mean Hamilton, right?

Anyway, I use Hamilton everyday, and I would say that at least 10-20% of the cars are from PA.

ryanov
Posts: 4902
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Post by ryanov » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:53 am

Lackawanna484 wrote:
JLo wrote:Hillsborough is not near West Trenton. About 35 miles apart, I think.
Actually, it's about 24 miles by rail from Bound Brook to "Trenton" on the Reading NY Short Line, so Hillsborough is probably 2 miles less.
I think that he means the LINE goes through there. To my knowledge, a stop was even planned there. Am I right, or do I have the wrong line?
|=| R. Novosielski |=|

JLo
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:36 pm
Location: Rather Be Anywhere But Here

Post by JLo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:50 am

A station is planned for Hillsborough near Rt 206 and Amwell Road.
"One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor." George Carlin

BlockLine_4111
Posts: 1939
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Northern NJ

Post by BlockLine_4111 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:28 am

Lackawanna484 wrote:
JLo wrote:I agree the deal is a non-brainer, and could be installed in a few days if necessary. Los Angeles opened a brand new commuter line to Santa Clarita and added three stations, parking lots, etc over a long weekend following an earthquake. Should take NJ about 10-15 years to open a line where track already exists, etc.
Are you referring to the 1994 Northridge quake ?

Lackawanna484

Post by Lackawanna484 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:41 am

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
Lackawanna484 wrote:
JLo wrote:I agree the deal is a non-brainer, and could be installed in a few days if necessary. Los Angeles opened a brand new commuter line to Santa Clarita and added three stations, parking lots, etc over a long weekend following an earthquake. Should take NJ about 10-15 years to open a line where track already exists, etc.
Are you referring to the 1994 Northridge quake ?

Yes. Huge project,went smooth as silk. Not like anything NJT would be involved in.

I don't think they added any rail after the Sylmar quake, but I could be wrong.

BlockLine_4111
Posts: 1939
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Northern NJ

Post by BlockLine_4111 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:07 pm

IIRC the Metrolink's Antelope Valley line. Never rode it but have seen the line in Newhall and Saugus, the later has a large parking lot. Ma$$ive sprAwl and home building in this locality. IIRC a new station or two was built or in process of being built on this route. I think this is still LA County, my 2 friends went to college at CSUN. Don't get out this way much anymore.

F23A4
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:43 pm

Post by F23A4 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:50 pm

JLo wrote:A station is planned for Hillsborough near Rt 206 and Amwell Road.
Although I live near there, I'm still MUCH closer to Jersey Ave (which arguably would still provide faster svc to Nwk during the rush). But it would be interesting to see how many current JA folks migrate to WT @ Hillsborough.

BlockLine_4111
Posts: 1939
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Northern NJ

Post by BlockLine_4111 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:52 pm

How far is Amwell from Triangle Rd ?

Does Amwell Rd. have an overpass over the track(s) ?

F23A4
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:43 pm

Post by F23A4 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:58 pm

BlockLine_4111 wrote:How far is Amwell from Triangle Rd ?
They're about .5 - 1 mile apart
BlockLine_4111 wrote:Does Amwell Rd. have an overpass over the track(s) ?
yes.

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”