Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1224050  by Tadman

Oof, phillies, that's a face only a mother could love...
 #1224053  by ACeInTheHole

Its not the fault of the P40s on this one. NJT needs to stop using this Vergara guy or whatever his name is for the paint schemes.
 #1224088  by BigDell

Having seen the elegant NS decked out in PC black and white, I think NJT should go simple. A P40 in black would be nice. Or yes, back in the old CNJ colors.... Oh I don't know. Something about this color scheme on this engine that just looks aesthetically "challenged".... :-/
 #1224101  by ACeInTheHole

I think black and white would remind the old heads at NJT if there is any of the GG1s and E8s. How grungy and dirty those looked... And their infamous mechanical issues (how rare it was for an E8 to make it from South Amboy to Bay Head with both engines running...). I think NJT honestly had it right with the disco stripe scheme as applied to the Geeps F40s and Comets I-IV. This sad sack edition they have now especially in the case of the PL42 makes it look like a Kindergarten class attacked the newer equipment with buckets of paint they splashed on.
 #1224221  by transit383

There was nothing classier than the blue and silver NJDOT paint scheme:

NJDOT 4103
 #1224243  by Tadman

beanbag wrote:Its not the fault of the P40s on this one. NJT needs to stop using this Vergara guy or whatever his name is for the paint schemes.
hehe, he designed the P40 body for Amtrak. I'm guessing he didn't do the paint scheme for just three locomotives, they probably had an in-house graphic designer adapt the PL42 scheme.
 #1224355  by BigDell

There was nothing classier than the blue and silver NJDOT paint scheme
Agreed agreed agreed.... The new engines could look better in a simpler scheme. They are not inherently unattractive, but the paing job ... yeesh...
 #1224397  by Steve F45

I had a drawing of a P40/42 that was painted into a njdot livery. It looked really cool on the P40. I can't find it on my photobucket, if i can remember tonight i'll look on my old computer.
 #1224418  by blockline4180

transit383 wrote:There was nothing classier than the blue and silver NJDOT paint scheme:

NJDOT 4103

I agree!!

Even if someone donated $15,000 to NJT they probably wouldn't ever paint one of their locomotives back in to it!!! But i say what is the big deal, especially if they put "NJT" stencils under the cab!!!
 #1224470  by DutchRailnut

$15 000 won't cover cost of repainting a Locomotive.
 #1224472  by Steve F45

Found the drawings i had done up a while ago. I'de revise it and narrow the silver alot so its not the whole side. But kinda gives you an idea.
 #1323934  by srock1028

AMTK822401 wrote:Have they ever run A P40 up the Port Jervis line?
I doubt it. Very few if any Hoboken Division engineers were offered to qualify on the P-40s.