Railroad Forums 

• Comet I's Officially Retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1076645  by blockline4180

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The only thing missing is a low door.

URHS has 2 of those.... I'm sure you will have to wait awhile to see them in EL/NJDOT!!!

However, These ELDCPS Dieseliners look damn good so far!!! :-)
 #1076658  by Ken S.

Now we have a prototype for the Walthers NJDOT Comet.

The WRM Comet I Sliders are painted in EL GMY. The cab car is still in patched NJT paint.
 #1077647  by 25Hz

All those concerned about comet one cars, septa will have them in revenue service for at least another 5-8 years. They get very little mileage per week. :)
 #1077668  by Sid Farkus

isaksenj wrote:Comet 1's may be retired, but the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society cars 1700 and 1705 have their "Old Timer's Day" uniforms on once again, and will be out on the road Saturday running through the Poconos. Here's a sneak peek, courtesy Jeremy Kwiatkowski/ELDCPS:
Looks great. Are you guys restoring the interior by replacing the brown seats with the original green colored seats?
 #1077706  by blockline4180

Sid Farkus wrote:
isaksenj wrote:Comet 1's may be retired, but the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society cars 1700 and 1705 have their "Old Timer's Day" uniforms on once again, and will be out on the road Saturday running through the Poconos. Here's a sneak peek, courtesy Jeremy Kwiatkowski/ELDCPS:
Looks great. Are you guys restoring the interior by replacing the brown seats with the original green colored seats?
I don't have first hand knowledge if they are or not, but a few years ago I had asked the Whippany Museum Trustee if they were going to replace their Comet I/Dieseliner seats, and he laughed at me!! The cost of construction, recreating/duplicating and installing the 2-2 seating is probably too expensive, but who knows! Also, some of the interior cars had blue rugs as well.
 #1077719  by R36 Combine Coach

Based on period photos the 2-2 reversable seats on the Comet Is as delivered do resemble the Comet V seating to a degree. Perhaps take some two seaters from IIMs, IVs or Vs when they get "replaced" by the additional MLVs in the (not too) far future?
 #1077747  by ApproachMedium

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Based on period photos the 2-2 reversable seats on the Comet Is as delivered do resemble the Comet V seating to a degree. Perhaps take some two seaters from IIMs, IVs or Vs when they get "replaced" by the additional MLVs in the (not too) far future?

Why waste the time and money for that? The cars have excellent, comfortable functional seating. In fact the Comet I seats I think were the best of all the cars because they did not flip, and actually had cushioning vs the hard MLV seats and the your back hurts after a half hour flippable seats everything else running has.
 #1077751  by Silverliner II

I was in Washington, DC last Thursday, Friday, and yesterday doing some video, and I ran across a Slider.

Not in operational condition, however. If you ride the Orange Line Metro out of New Carrollton, sitting on the left side, you will see it as the train crosses the first overpass. I saw it, blinked, doubled back from Landover to ride past again, this time with camera rolling. I'll post the link to my vid later....
 #1077756  by ApproachMedium

Was it on a track or was it one of the modified emergency response training cars? I have no idea otherwise why one would be in DC.
 #1077826  by BuddSilverliner269

ApproachMedium wrote:Was it on a track or was it one of the modified emergency response training cars? I have no idea otherwise why one would be in DC.
Its one of the emergency response comet cars tipped on its side.
 #1077857  by Silverliner II

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Was it on a track or was it one of the modified emergency response training cars? I have no idea otherwise why one would be in DC.
Its one of the emergency response comet cars tipped on its side.
And with these black rings around the entire car. It comes up at 1:40 in my video. This vid is up for a limited time only, so hurry... while stocks last.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU28E85gZj8
 #1077897  by 25Hz

Nice catch! I'm wondering if NH&IRR will get any once they are retired from public revenue service.

Man the DC motor noise from those metrorail cars is excessive!
 #1078052  by Silverliner II

25Hz wrote:Nice catch! I'm wondering if NH&IRR will get any once they are retired from public revenue service.

Would you believe it was AC motors on that train. Only the 4000-series Metrorail cars remain in their original interior/unrebuilt/DC traction form....
 #1078131  by 25Hz

Silverliner II wrote:
25Hz wrote:Nice catch! I'm wondering if NH&IRR will get any once they are retired from public revenue service.

Would you believe it was AC motors on that train. Only the 4000-series Metrorail cars remain in their original interior/unrebuilt/DC traction form....
When was the rebuild? They sound super worn out!