• Engine 501 on the River LINE

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by airman00

Yes I know I'm asking about #502 again... :P ... But just curious of her current status/disposition?
  by airman00

Great pictures thanks! #502 is sure looking alot more worse for the wear. But I guess she does run after all then. Good to see she's still hanging on.
  by chuchubob

airman00 wrote: #502 is sure looking alot more worse for the wear. But I guess she does run after all then. Good to see she's still hanging on.
I make no assumption concerning how 502 got there. I don't know whether it moved under its own power or whether the Juniata Terminal SW1500 moved it there.
The JT SW1500 has been working the leaf residue train at night.
  by airman00

chuchubob wrote:
airman00 wrote: #502 is sure looking alot more worse for the wear. But I guess she does run after all then. Good to see she's still hanging on.
I make no assumption concerning how 502 got there. I don't know whether it moved under its own power or whether the Juniata Terminal SW1500 moved it there.
The JT SW1500 has been working the leaf residue train at night.
My apologies then. I just assumed since it's been so long since there was any news on her, and then 502 shows up in a maintence yard with a MOW car attached to her I figured she was on some sort of MOW detail. Sooner or later it will come to light that either she does run and in that case great, or it's just that 502 is indeed shot and just being shuffled around until her final disposition. Either way #502 is the one NJT engine that just refuses to die/go away. It just keeps hanging on! It's gotta be one of the longest on the active roster engines by now.
  by R36 Combine Coach

airman00 wrote:Either way #502 is the one NJT engine that just refuses to die/go away. It just keeps hanging on! It's gotta be one of the longest on the active roster engines by now.
The 500-series SW1500s were purchased used in 1988 for switching duty and MoW. 502 has outlasted the other three by over four years, which were taken out of service in 2006.
  by HBLR

I'm pretty sure it was tacked on dead in tow to a freight train leaving from the meadows facility and took a long route convoluted route to minimize cost. If i'm wrong please do correct me. I just can't see another switcher traveling that far for one unit.
  by chuchubob

HBLR wrote:I'm pretty sure it was tacked on dead in tow to a freight train leaving from the meadows facility and took a long route convoluted route to minimize cost. If i'm wrong please do correct me. I just can't see another switcher traveling that far for one unit.
I don't know what route it took, but I first saw 502 in Camden at Conrail's Pavonia Enginehouse.
  by HBLR

Nice photos. That GP40 has a long haul fuel tank it seems. Would be interesting to figure out the actual route it took.
  by airman00

Great pictures! And thank you very much for the occasional updates on 502 Mr. Chuchubob, I appreciate them. At least 502 is still hanging around. Better this than the scrapper. The longer she continues to hang around the better. :)
  by JimmyMaBoy

The 502 won't be moving from Haines yard, located just nort of Rt. 73, any time soon. The JTFS 9276 is and will continue performing all of the work train duties for the RiverLine.

My understanding is that the 502 is beyond repair...sorry :)
  by airman00

Well that's not good. :( However... on the plus side sitting in a yard is way better than the scrap heap. Beyond repair or not, at least she's still around. I wonder if she is indeed shot, then perhaps she could at least be salvaged for display somewhere.
  by JimmyMaBoy

My understanding is that the 502 won't shift in transit and also leaks water. Although repair is possible it is too costly.