Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#704918  by OportRailfan

Comments, thoughts?

http://bit.ly/lpXX

Currently in Beta testing; Lets you view the departure boards at Secaucus; divided into the upper(NWK DIV) and lower(HOB DIV) boards.
 #704935  by du_dragons

Nice, Jim. I'm a paying passenger who is often frustrated with the display boards at Secaucus. I'd love to see this succeed, because it means a more stress-free commute for me.

Not that it seems like you care.
 #704957  by sixty-six

du_dragons wrote:Nice, Jim. I'm a paying passenger who is often frustrated with the display boards at Secaucus. I'd love to see this succeed, because it means a more stress-free commute for me.

Not that it seems like you care.
Everytime NJT deploys some new technology, it blows up in their face. Like the first batch of new LCDs in Hoboken, the signs at Summit, the departure screens at SEC that STILL dont work as intended. Or how about the screens at Newark Broad that were rendered useless when BROAD interlocking crapped out? Cause with today's technology, you cant have one person manually changing the signs versus one person screaming things that only part of the platform can hear? What about Secaucus when you have a 80mph Amtrak or X-train going by and the only warning the novice traveler hears is "Attention Secaucus Junction passengers, please sta......*WOOOSH*...." Gotta love those automatic destination signs that crap out often. Don't you love how if one sign craps out, it usually takes the whole trainline with it? Now its time to get frustrated through the first 5 incarnations of this DepartureVision. I just pulled it up on a few mobile devices. Some work just as the screencap shows. Others has the lines mashed together, making it impossible to provide any helpful information. Another has random fields scattered about the page. This won't be too helpful until NJT can come up with Symbian/iPhone/Blackberry/Android-formatted pages. Or a simple text page.

Oh and we also cant forget the many times that trains dont get the "x minutes late" status changed/updated. Which basically renders this whole thing useless.

So no, I dont care.
 #704971  by Amtrak7

Seems like a good idea, look at Metro-North's online Grand Central Departure Board.

Too bad I can't test it, I can't access the internet on my phone and there is no way I know of to force the mobile site on my computer.
 #705002  by Jtgshu

It reminds me of Septas "Train View" but Septas seems to give a more realtime view of things on the whole railroad rather than just the departure boards at SEC.
 #705014  by du_dragons

I sent the following feedback, and NJT has already acknowledged my feedback:
Code: Select all
I'm looking at this via a Blackberry Bold.  A few comments:

* NY-bound trains are listed with black backgrounds at SEC, and in their line color on this app.  That should be made consistent between the two.

* The headers don't display correctly in this browser.  There are lots of visible " " codes.

* Middletown, NJ is spelled incorrectly as "Middleton NJ".  Missing a "w".
 #705022  by dgraiani

jimzim66 wrote:... What about Secaucus when you have a 80mph Amtrak or X-train going by and the only warning the novice traveler hears is "Attention Secaucus Junction passengers, please sta......*WOOOSH*...."
Even better is "Attention customers on the North East Corridor Line: The next train to stop on, track 2 will be the, 7 19 AM westbound to Trenton, stopping at Newa....*WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH*....dison, New Brunswick, Jersey Avenue, Princeton Junction, Hamilton and Trenton.

The next train on track 2 does not take customers, please stand back from the yellow line."
 #705026  by cruiser939

OportRailfan wrote:Comments, thoughts?

http://bit.ly/lpXX

Currently in Beta testing; Lets you view the departure boards at Secaucus; divided into the upper(NWK DIV) and lower(HOB DIV) boards.
They've been testing this program in the office for a couple month's now. Full system, not just Secaucus. I've had no problems with it.
 #705059  by Jtgshu

Im not sure why they started making the NY bound trains with a black background....they do it in Newark Penn too.

Black used to be only for extra or discharge only trains. While trains that went to NY were always the color of the line that they were on.

Maybe a whole other color for NYP trains with an outline of the color of the line or something would work a little better.....

do they say "Corridor Coast" like they do (or at least used to) in Newark Penn for South Amboy/Matawan trains? :) Ive never noticed in SEC what they say.
 #705070  by firthorfifth06

funny, about a year ago or so I made the suggestion to NJT that they should have online terminal departures, based on the GCT departures that MetroNorth has on its website. NJT told me that it would not happen in the foreseeable future...

I also like how the online version says "click on train for station stops" and there's nothing to click! or is it just not supporting google chrome?
 #705074  by firthorfifth06

confirmed, Google Chrome does not support the new application. Does Firefox? I know IE has no trouble with it
 #705077  by OportRailfan

worked on my AT&T tilt...could see the trip itinerary