Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1372427  by airman00

I happen to be in Spring Valley this morning in my work travels. On my way home I decided to make a quick detour and drive past the tracks as I wasn't far from the yard NJT has in spring valley. I didn't have much time to spare, as I had to get back to work, so I never drove past past the yard but I did manage to see the old tracks that used to connect to the Main/Bergen lines, (Piermont branch?) and I saw them at the Lumber Yard that used to get rail service. I believe it's called beckerlie lumber? Anyway driving past I could see that just past the switch off the PVL the tracks are in REALLY bad shape, you almost can't see them at the lumber yard because their partially buried. And the crossing I drove past had no lights or gates just an old worn out crossbucks sign. And past the lumber yard is really overgrown and you almost can't even see the ROW. I wish I had more time to drive around a little and explore the old piermont branch, but didn't have the time.

I knew the remains of the piermont branch were in bad shape, but I thought you had to go some distance down the tracks to see them get really bad/buried/washed out. I had no idea they got that bad and overgrown right in spring valley. One interesting thing I did notice, is that just past the switch off the PVL their was a big load of ties stacked neatly right on the tracks themselves. Couldn't see if the ties were new or used/old but they ties looked in halfway decent shape. Anyone know what's going on there?
 #1383008  by ebtmikado

CPSK wrote:I can also recall coming across the now abandoned track near Monsey NY while at Requa Lake for my 9th grade picnic. A friend and I went wandering into the woods on a trail and came to the track. I recall that it was very rusty and appeared either abandoned, or nearly so. That would have been in 1971.
CP
The last job I worked on Erie Lackawanna before moving to Connecticut was on the "Upper End Hack", (NJ & NY Wayfreight), which originated in Croxton, ran up the NJ&NY to Spring Valley, over the Piermont Branch to Suffern, then down the Bergen County to Croxton. I was on the job 1972 to Sept., 1973, so there was definitely regular 5 days per week train service on that line beyond 1973.

Lee
 #1392267  by sully7302

Another car was at Atlantic Plywood on Wednesday. There was also a loaded centerbeam for Kuiken sitting off the Long Siding along with a bunch of other cars.
 #1401802  by airman00

I meant to post this a few days ago when I saw it, but on the Kuiken Brothers siding in Emerson, (the part of the siding that parallels the main) there were 2 flat cars that appeared to have concrete slabs on them. I assume for a crossing somewhere. There could've been more than two cars there, but I only caught a quick glance as I was passing by.
 #1404156  by oknazevad

airman00 wrote:I meant to post this a few days ago when I saw it, but on the Kuiken Brothers siding in Emerson, (the part of the siding that parallels the main) there were 2 flat cars that appeared to have concrete slabs on them. I assume for a crossing somewhere. There could've been more than two cars there, but I only caught a quick glance as I was passing by.
Probably related to the reconstruction of the intersection/crossing at Kinderkamack Rd. Emerson has long wanted to reconfigure that downtown area for better traffic flow. They've finally begun.
 #1418010  by airman00

I happened to see an interesting trainset today, around 11am headed thru Westwood, and headed towards Spring Valley. PL42 #4013 leading, followed by 5 comet V's and then Geep #4105. Could not see if the geep had it's marker lights on and was on-line or if it was dead in tow. I'm assuming there was a bad trainset or loco in Spring Valley that needed towing back to Hoboken? (hence the need for the #4105) If not, no idea why there was a loco on both ends. Unless the geep was acting as a cab car. And I'm pretty sure #4105 is a work loco only now. Or it was last I knew.
 #1432799  by trainbrain

I have no idea. I asked the conductor if it was a normal thing, and he said it was not at all normal and he asked the dispatcher if his crew had the right equipment. Figuring it was just an equipment swap, possibly with 1277 or 1281 (which also use multilevel equipment).