Railroad Forums 

• The Atlantic City Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#699216  by WaitinginSJ

They said service was suspended on the radio. The first time I've EVER heard anything about NJ Transit rail on our radio.
 #699265  by cruiser939

WaitinginSJ wrote:They said service was suspended on the radio. The first time I've EVER heard anything about NJ Transit rail on our radio.
Yeah, South Jersey used up their budget putting out that notice, sorry. :(
 #699269  by WaitinginSJ

cruiser939 wrote:
WaitinginSJ wrote:They said service was suspended on the radio. The first time I've EVER heard anything about NJ Transit rail on our radio.
Yeah, South Jersey used up their budget putting out that notice, sorry. :(
They didn't have the money to do that so the radio did it for free =P
 #699274  by BadAddetude

I know everyone here is itchy to blame someone who drives in front of a train, but can we please hold out until further details are available to make a judgment? I ask of you kindly, as this may have been a father/mother/son/daughter/human being. Don't lecture me on the crew and how bad they feel, I already know all that.

Secondly, I used to work in the area, and used that crossing often. Nothing struck me as it being a dangerous area, or a high speed road, so something else may be at work here. Seeing the areal, the train was stopped relatively close, so it couldn't have been at speed.(?) Crew had notice? Car was stuck?

Also, its not a good day when a FREE radio notice breaks the SJ Transportation/NJT budget.

Seems that trains are running again. Any ideas on when more details will be released?
 #699278  by WaitinginSJ

BadAddetude wrote: ...may have been a ...human being...
actually, it was a house fly on the steering wheel of a car in neutral.
 #699284  by MedicSutton

Yea.. I thought something was up.. I was taking a walk over to my parents when I noticed q Philly bound train idling at the hammonton train station around a little after 6.. btw.. I would like to say something on a previous posting receding to some of us that would be too quick to judge.. I can say that on more than one occasion and the latest being at the line st crossing in hammonton.. The gates didn't trip until the last minute.. And if I hadn't been looking would have been turned into a statistic.. So.. That being said my prayers go out to all involved..
 #699308  by Jtgshu

MedicSutton wrote:Yea.. I thought something was up.. I was taking a walk over to my parents when I noticed q Philly bound train idling at the hammonton train station around a little after 6.. btw.. I would like to say something on a previous posting receding to some of us that would be too quick to judge.. I can say that on more than one occasion and the latest being at the line st crossing in hammonton.. The gates didn't trip until the last minute.. And if I hadn't been looking would have been turned into a statistic.. So.. That being said my prayers go out to all involved..
The Xing at Line St. in Hammonton is late to trip, but the Xings on teh AC line are speed sensitive, meaning that they WILL trigger before the train gets there. (unless maybe its a 1 car train, that might out accelorate the Xing gates) Same at the South end of Hammonton (i can't remember the Xing name off hand) the gates go up while in the station, but they WILL come down before the train gets there. Bartram isn't near a station so the train would have been at speed.
 #699761  by yakuza08

4802 was taking and swapped for 4803 yesterday morning. 4802 had minor damage to the plow when i drove by the station yesday morning.
 #700039  by Rail Boy

As a railroad employee, and a typical know it all, I too am usually quick to blame the driver of the car. When it is someone you know, or someone a loved one knows, as in this case, it is a whole different story.

My fiance came home today and told me that someone who she knew was hit by a train in that area. I remembered the incident and remembered myself down-talking the person who disrupted service for hundreds of people throughout the rush hour and who scared this engineer and conductor for life. Of course, I felt like a complete ass.

Without going into the details of what happened, as I heard it at least third hand, it appears to be a mistake that ANY one of US could do.

This brought to my attention that we, as employees and fans, are more knowledgeable about trains and we think before we stop our car on railroad tracks, while we are on our way to get a hoagie or cheese steak or something else fattening, or while we are on the way to the bank to make a car payment on our SUV. Meanwhile, the economist at the bank knows how our buying that SUV will cause the price of gas to rise, and he drives a coop, and the cardiologist is eating a salad, neither of them would think twice before following another car onto railroad tracks only to have the car in front of them stop at the yellow light, and then be boxed in on both sides.
 #700065  by Jtgshu

Rail Boy wrote:As a railroad employee, and a typical know it all, I too am usually quick to blame the driver of the car. When it is someone you know, or someone a loved one knows, as in this case, it is a whole different story.

My fiance came home today and told me that someone who she knew was hit by a train in that area. I remembered the incident and remembered myself down-talking the person who disrupted service for hundreds of people throughout the rush hour and who scared this engineer and conductor for life. Of course, I felt like a complete ass.

Without going into the details of what happened, as I heard it at least third hand, it appears to be a mistake that ANY one of US could do.

This brought to my attention that we, as employees and fans, are more knowledgeable about trains and we think before we stop our car on railroad tracks, while we are on our way to get a hoagie or cheese steak or something else fattening, or while we are on the way to the bank to make a car payment on our SUV. Meanwhile, the economist at the bank knows how our buying that SUV will cause the price of gas to rise, and he drives a coop, and the cardiologist is eating a salad, neither of them would think twice before following another car onto railroad tracks only to have the car in front of them stop at the yellow light, and then be boxed in on both sides.
:(

Sorry to hear that it hit close to home.....sometimes accidents DO happen, and while there isn't much the railroad, train crew or the regular folks involved could do, unfortunately, the results are almost a given.

Even as a railroad employee, I have made a mistake that scared the hell out of me, that could happened to really anyone. I was driving back from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and I was on Route 13 North in Delaware - it was like 2am and I just drove through one of the worst thunderstorms I ever saw in my entire life....I was relieved and thought it was going to be smooth sailing - I was planning on resting at the first Rest Area on the NJTPK, just about an hour away. Im sailing up Route 13, going about 60-65mph, and I see these flashing lights up ahead -

"hmmmmmm I wonder what that is, looks like a cop car or something".....so I slow down a little bit. And then one black hopper rolls in front of me with scotchlite reflectors, while none of the others did. "HOLY $#!T!!!!! ITS A TRAIN!!!!" I had to put on the brakes a little hard, but I still had some room. But it scared the be-jesus out of me........thank god that hopper with the reflectors rolled by. Who knows, i might have driven right into the side of a coal train!

And I know that I have said "how in the heck can anyone drive into the SIDE of a train???" That night, I found out how. And im very glad the FRA is mandating the Scotchlite reflectors on all the cars, i think that is a great idea, and long overdue.
 #700620  by NorEasterNick

Thanks for that info, Bob. I drove up to the station to see if it would be on the 4674 set, and indeed it was. I'll upload it to YT as soon as I can find that damn transfer cable. Neat site nontheless.
 #700640  by sixty-six

NorEasterNick wrote:Thanks for that info, Bob. I drove up to the station to see if it would be on the 4674 set, and indeed it was. I'll upload it to YT as soon as I can find that damn transfer cable. Neat site nontheless.

Please don't use bad words. Some people find that offensive.