Railroad Forums 

• Phillipsburg Rail Service—Four Years, $90 Million

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#854354  by Roadgeek Adam

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... =UTF8&z=15

This is the generalized way, being Google refuses to post it normally. At Asbury-Anderson Road would be a the New Hampton-Route 31 station.
 #854362  by Ken W2KB

While the right of way would work, assuming no significant grades, I suspect that the cost of acquiring the land for this right of way is substantial. There has been a lot of development in the Route 31 corridor there in recent years, and values have skyrocketed. To the extent much of the original right of way exists, that might turn out to be less expensive. With respect to grades, why was the original alignment chosen over the suggested Route 31 route? Gradients, etc. may have been the reason?
 #854390  by Roadgeek Adam

Ken W2KB wrote:While the right of way would work, assuming no significant grades, I suspect that the cost of acquiring the land for this right of way is substantial. There has been a lot of development in the Route 31 corridor there in recent years, and values have skyrocketed. To the extent much of the original right of way exists, that might turn out to be less expensive. With respect to grades, why was the original alignment chosen over the suggested Route 31 route? Gradients, etc. may have been the reason?
Its an interesting question. Do remember the Hampton Branch was the southern portion of the Warren Railway, built by John Blair. As for why, got me, guess they had reasons.
 #927766  by Roadgeek Adam

northjerseybuff wrote:more results forthcoming monday on a study..i wouldnt hold my breath for anything, but I do think this area is much more populated and has more commuters than the rt 80(cutoff) corridor

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... railr.html
Pardon the language, but Annandale doesn't seem to stop bitching about the problems with their station. They persuaded NJ Transit to give them a new shelter to replace the one there already, citing it was a phone booth on steroids. NJ Transit went ahead and replaced it and now they want a station away from the current one? Besides the CRRNJ history, which in the January 25, 2010 article they called HISTORIC, why does NJ Transit even want to consider this? They can live with being a commuter town.

Aren't we wasting money? Besides the new shelter looks like a glorified phone booth that got fatter anyway.

For previous reference:

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... vemen.html
&
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 69&t=68677
 #928826  by Roadgeek Adam

northjerseybuff wrote:no answers from the meeting...

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbc ... 1305040017
This is what caught my attention:
Extending the line to Hampton alone — an additional five miles — would cost $155 million and bring 280 new daily riders in 2030, Wisneski said. A 20-mile extension to Phillipsburg could cost $305 million or $340 million, depending on whether NJ Transit used its own right of way or Norfolk Southern’s Lehigh Line and would add 650 riders in 2030.
5 miles to rehab track already there, build a siding or two, and one-two stations, 155 million? I seriously fail to see how all this can be racked up that much. Pretty sure most of that is labor, but the materials for all that isn't all that much.

Also the cost doesn't meet the benefit for me anymore personally on Phillipsburg. Probably unlike most people, I don't see Phillipsburg as a rational terminus anymore due to train length. I mean we're basically crossing the entire state of New Jersey on one train (similar to the AC Line). Will 650 riders 19 years from now really benefit a slow enough commute? I personally prefer the Hampton alternative with just Hampton & Glen Gardner getting stations. Simple, relieves parking problems for Route 31.
 #928862  by Jtgshu

I wouldn't be suprised if that number includes new equipment, which could be debated if its necessary right now, especially with the Comet 3s parked in Bay Head and the cancellation of the tunnel, the dual modes might not be a necessary component of the plan working, meaning straight diesels might be able to be used, and comet 3s overhauled, and the price tag reduced.

however, i have a sneaky feeling this is going to go the exact same way MOM did - and express bus lanes will be the "preferred choice" - there are a lot of similarities in reading that article.....
 #929526  by amtrakowitz

northjerseybuff wrote:more results forthcoming monday on a study..i wouldnt hold my breath for anything, but I do think this area is much more populated and has more commuters than the rt 80(cutoff) corridor
For a corridor that's "less" populated, the state of New Jersey saw fit to expand I-80 to eight lanes all the way to the Delaware River. Isn't that a bit funny?
 #1145368  by amm in ny

The discussion on the Lackawanna Cutoff thread got me thinking about the idea of extending NJT to Phillipsburg, and someone over there kindly pointed me to this thread. However, I notice that there's been no activity here for a while. Has there been in the meantime any sign of activity or interest on the part of NJT or NJ goverments on the idea? Or has everyone who is in any way in a position to do anything given up on it permanently?
 #1145581  by Ken W2KB

amm in ny wrote:The discussion on the Lackawanna Cutoff thread got me thinking about the idea of extending NJT to Phillipsburg, and someone over there kindly pointed me to this thread. However, I notice that there's been no activity here for a while. Has there been in the meantime any sign of activity or interest on the part of NJT or NJ goverments on the idea? Or has everyone who is in any way in a position to do anything given up on it permanently?
Every once in a while there is an article in the Hunterdon newspaper that mentions the possibility. A lot less expensive and capturing a large percentage of potential ridership is an extension to adjacent to Exit 7 of I-78 where the ex-cnj crosses under the highway. Existing complete interchange there for the truck stops and vacant cornfields for station parking. No need to replace bridges and west of the steep grade on I-78 which is problematic in snow. Would need to refurbish the existing track and install signals and station platforms. West of there would be a lot more costly per mile to replace complete infrastructure in many places.
 #1145595  by 25Hz

Those fields are not unused. I dunno if that would work as there is water (DEP issue) in the small area wedged between the roads and the ROW. There's an access road there, but it looks like it's only meant for tractors to get to the fields.

What might work is if they bought up the property now occupied by that bank and gas station, put parking there and the station behind it. There's even enough space to put a parking garage if you wanted and design whatever kind of station you want.
 #1145598  by NJT4115

I though I-78 severed a section of the line.