Railroad Forums 

• RVL Whitehouse Passing Siding Progress

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#426681  by jersey_guy

From today's Ledger:
http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/nj/ ... xml&coll=2

NJ Transit work nearly complete
Tuesday, July 24, 2007

BY JOHN HOLL

The Star-Ledger

Signal and communication work on a passing track along New Jersey Transit's Raritan Valley Line is nearing completion, which is another step toward enhanced service for Hunterdon County residents, according to the agency.

There is only one track on the line after the Raritan station in Somerset County, meaning only one train can head out to the last stop in High Bridge before coming back, said Joe Dee, a New Jersey Transit spokesman.

The passing track, much like the shoulder on a highway, will allow one train to step aside to let another pass. The passing track is just west of the Whitehouse Station stop in Readington Township, Dee said.

The agency has said it hopes to add eight additional trains -- four in each direction during peak travel times -- on the line that runs to Newark Penn Station. Two sets of tracks are between Newark and the Raritan station.

A trip from High Bridge to Newark takes about an hour and 15 minutes. It was not clear how many commuters the agency expects to benefit from the additional trains.

At the Hunterdon County freeholder's meeting earlier this month, Chairman George Muller said the plan would be welcomed by residents and make for easier commutes.

Dee said there is no target date for when the expanded service would begin.

"We will announce details as we get closer," he said.

#426725  by NJTRailfan

This should've been done 10-15 years ago and NJT should've been talking about double tracking rather then just dding a long passing siding or two to the RVL. Especially since talks have been revived of extending service past HB to Hamilton and possible Ludlow/Asbury.

#426877  by Adirondack

Just out of curiosity... Does anyone know how the price and construction time on this siding compare to NS's siding at Flemington Junction? I'm willing to bet that NS got it done quicker and cheaper, despite being longer and requiring rebuilding a bridge. :wink:

#426879  by KFC Jones

I like how they say the work is coming to an end. The reality is that its been stalled for months... why report on it now? Slow news day I guess. :)

#426885  by nick11a

True, not much headway has been made since October on the siding until recently. Also, the article is incorrect. Go figure. There is the siding between High Bridge and Annandale that allows trains to pass.

And from the article, it implies the main improvement would be for rush hour trains. How about non-rush hour trains and weekend service? That to me is the real benefit of the siding, not just adding more peak trains.

#426918  by Jtgshu

Which means we will add trains and service when Conrail and Conrails parents in particular, lets us....

#426924  by njt5446

Adirondack wrote:Just out of curiosity... Does anyone know how the price and construction time on this siding compare to NS's siding at Flemington Junction? I'm willing to bet that NS got it done quicker and cheaper, despite being longer and requiring rebuilding a bridge. :wink:
Who are we kidding, the double tracking from Potter to Bound Brook is going faster!

#426931  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:
Which means we will add trains and service when Conrail and Conrails parents in particular, lets us....
Yes, that is the supposed reason why it hasn't been added yet. Apparently, NJT didn't approach Conrail in advance about this until it was being done....

#426935  by Ken W2KB

KFC Jones wrote:I like how they say the work is coming to an end. The reality is that its been stalled for months... why report on it now? Slow news day I guess. :)
I'm not sure its been stalled all that much lately. Over the past several months new/additional signal cabinets have been installed at High Bridge and Annandale, and perhaps elsewhere in that area. One of the conductors told me that the upgrades overall were part of the signaling for the new passing siding. So perhaps the fact that the work at the site of the siding has not progressed beyond running the cables to the signal bases, other essential work was being done.

#431917  by Tooler

Why would NJT need to talk to Conrail about extending trains from Raritan to High Bridge?

#431938  by pgengler

Tooler wrote:Why would NJT need to talk to Conrail about extending trains from Raritan to High Bridge?
I don't think they would about that, but rather about operating more trains between Aldene and Hunter, which Conrail owns, as well as any changes to existing scheduled trains.

#432187  by nick11a

pgengler wrote:
Tooler wrote:Why would NJT need to talk to Conrail about extending trains from Raritan to High Bridge?
I don't think they would about that, but rather about operating more trains between Aldene and Hunter, which Conrail owns, as well as any changes to existing scheduled trains.
Yup, that is the rumor going around.

#432209  by Wanderer

pgengler wrote:
The problem last time was just that they failed to consult Conrail when they made the changes/additions. Obviously that didn't go over well, and rightfully so. I've heard the rumor about the creation of Raritan-High Bridge trains also, but I wouldn't say die for changes for service over Conrail, as long as everybody is on the same page this time.

#432235  by Rail Boy

Is there any update as to when the additional service will begin?

Also, with the noted issues regarding additional trains on the Lehigh Line, is it known if there will be additional trains east of Raritan, or will it just be an extension of current trains to High Bridge?

#432239  by njt5446

Rail Boy wrote:Is there any update as to when the additional service will begin?

Also, with the noted issues regarding additional trains on the Lehigh Line, is it known if there will be additional trains east of Raritan, or will it just be an extension of current trains to High Bridge?
The proposed schedule was just supposed to add more rush hour service and make 5707 and 5713 expresses to High Bridge. I managed to get a peek at last year...latest thing I heard about the new trains being added from a few reliable sources was Conrail said "you want more trains, build a third track"