Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#764856  by E-44

On the other hand, NS seems somewhat dubious about shared rail AND trail :wink:
 #765272  by GSC

Any new proposal usually winds up at the bottom of the pile, "hurry up and wait." Wouldn't be too concerned at this point. And the "trail" would have to stop at Okerson Road, a few miles short of Freehold, the line is active from that point on.

There is an "unofficial" trail alongside the ROW from Farmingdale already, quad, trail biker, and 4WD trucks use it.
 #814440  by braves

Does anyone know or has anyone heard of what is happening recently with the MOM rail study and can someone please share some news on what is going on with this project.

I would greatly appreciate it.
 #814489  by E-44

NJT mentions the final study in public meetings and the DEIS is still on the website but as Dutch said, it's not high on the spending list -- especially as long as Middlesex County leadership opposes it and would rather widen highways and add bus lanes. The operational logic says that until the new tunnels are built, there would be no slots for MOM trains to NY anyway and no capacity on the NJCL if the "Red Bank option" was selected. And Red Bank and Shrewsbury are as opposed to that option as Monroe, Jamesburg and South Brunswick are to the Monmouth Junction alignment. Big NIMBY political money/influence in both locales. So even suggesting that MOM trains initially terminate/originate in Hoboken to get past the tunnel slot issue doesn't get past NIMBY roadblocks in Middlesex and Monmouth counties.

My pessimistic prediction is more widening of US9 and the Porkway in all three affected counties and more bus lanes (perhaps even on the Porkway) before we see any passenger rail reaching Ocean and southern and central Monmouth counties.

Here's one of my favorite editorials about the seemingly unending study process.
 #814516  by Port Jervis

braves wrote:Does anyone know or has anyone heard of what is happening recently with the MOM rail study and can someone please share some news on what is going on with this project.

Oh look, it's Chipper10!
 #814585  by TREnecNYP

Port Jervis wrote:
braves wrote:Does anyone know or has anyone heard of what is happening recently with the MOM rail study and can someone please share some news on what is going on with this project.

Oh look, it's Chipper10!
Oh noes.

- A
 #815068  by Otto Vondrak

All expansion projects can be found here:

"Thread Links to NJT Expansion Projects (Look here first)"
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=27640

Here's the MOM thread:
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=mom

-otto-
 #822055  by keyboardkat

I have recently contemplated moving to the Lakewood area. While the area has much to recommend it, it has one major drawback for me: No rail passenger service. The nearest passenger rail service is 20 miles away on the NJCL. Commuters to the NY metropolitan area have only a bus.
A single track passes through the town. It is apparently used for occasional freight service, as the rails are not rusted. Old maps tell me it is a former CRR of NJ line, but I don't know where it connects to the rest of the system or where it terminates.
But when the economy gets better and budgets are being expanded rather than cut, maybe some thought should be given to establishing (or reestablishing) rail commuter service on this existing line. Perhaps DMUs could be used if there's not enough business to justify full-fledged heavy rail service.
 #822079  by firthorfifth06

Regular passenger service in that area ceased in the late 40's. From Lakewood, once upon a time, one could get a train to Port Monmouth, Red Bank, Jersey City, Barnegat, Lakehurst, Atlantic City, Bridgeton and Bayside. The line was the New Jersey Southern Branch of the CRR of NJ.

While out of the limelight now, NJ Transit was heavily involved in a study called the MOM Project (Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex). For the project, three different alternative routes were study to bring passenger rail service back to central Monmouth County and surrounding area. The routes as follows:

Route 1: Originate in Lakehurst up to Farmingdale, then proceed geographic west toward Monmouth Junction and join the NEC and terminate in Newark (combination of the CRR of NJ NJ Southern and PRR Jamesburg Branch)
Route 2: Originate in Lakehurst up to Farmingdale, then proceed geographic west until you hit Freehold,then head geographic north and join the NJCL at Matawan and terminate in Newark (combination of the CRR of NJ NJ Southern, PRR Jamesburg Branch, and CRR of NJ Freehold Branch)
Route 3: Originate in Lakehurst and proceed through Farmingdale and then join the NJCL at Red Bank, then terminate in Newark (All NJ Southern)

All the information you want can be found on the thread entitled "Expansion Projects (Look Here First)"
 #822210  by CJPat

Although the best answer would be to grab a train from downtown Lakewood, it is not going to happen in the near future. The proposal to restore passenger rail to Lakewood has been on-going since 1978. Aside from the State not having any money to bring this about, most of the delay is politically motivated by a handful of well to do homeowners who live within close proximity of the rail line and fear their comfort and property values will be negatively impacted so they have been able to convince the "Powers that Be" to conduct one study after another until the idea dies a long, slow, painful death thru neglect.

On the bright side, the NJCL is not 20 miles a way from Lakewood. Using downtown lakewood as a point of origin, you are only looking at a 10 mile commute (15 min.) east on Rt 88 to either Bay Head or Point Pleasant Beach stations. Of course there are several bus lines that run up the Rt 9 Corridor heading towards NYC. But Rt 9 can be a "joy" for any wheeled transport.
 #823031  by radioboy

A daily commute which involves a drive from Lakewood to Bay Head - especially in the summer - and then the schlep up the NJCL and transfer at Long Branch is not worth the price of admission. I know we all love trains, but drive or take the Parkway Express bus, you'll save your sanity.
 #823303  by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, if you are travelling from Lakewood to NYC, it's most convenient to take the bus. For trains, it's not that uncommon for people to drive to Metropark or even Aberdeen-Matawan for train service. Taking the coastline end to end takes way too long, especially on weekends.