Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit riders face an open-and-shut problem

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#11609  by Jtgshu

So THIS is why all the notices went up yesterday saying to make sure everyone observes the platform when shutting doors. I had a feeling there was some reason......(TR, another railroad "MEMO" - at least this one said "attention crews")

BTW, if you read the article, you will see how NJT manages to turn everthing on the crews, and didn't mention a thing about actually FIXING the problems. (computer software on C5) - okay, what about getting rid of the paint on the door thresholds on the C2's that gets the doors stuck......or too tight of a clearance between teh door and trap in C2, binding the door. Thats not a computer malfunction. The door shuts it self off so it doesn't melt itself. Im my opinion, the C5 doors have gotten better, a lot better, but just yesterday, I had a car where the doors on one side simply stopped working. For no reason. What about the cars with the door exterior lights that don't work....are not visibile because they are at the same level of the brake indicating lights, what about stations on curves, what about door panels that the lights don't work on them...

Its not going to be mechanical departments fault when the doors drag someone down the platform, but rather the crews problem that the equipment malfunctioned (like usual)

Myself, along with others on the RR were talking yesterday, and if they want us to do things "the way we are supposed to" all the time, okay, fine. The trains are going to be late. Its that easy, and its not our fault. The doors, especially the C5's take too long to close. If it takes antoher 5 to 10 seconds for the doors in C5's to close at every stop, whcih they do, and I have to stand outside and wait for EVERY door to close in EVERY car, (that is the rule, I will admit) THEN close my door, which is more than likely, a C5, it will now take another 5 to 10 seconds. Lets take an average of 15 seconds longer at each stop. 4 stops is a minute more, 8 stops is 2 minutes more, 12 stops is 3 minutes late, 16 is 4, etc. Add in a stop or two there where a door starts to go wacko - in whatever model car and look the train is five minutes late already, and it was a smooth trip too.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/in ... 497050.xml

#11612  by nick11a

Whoops Jt, you posted a new topic!

#11614  by Jtgshu

Hahaha - no I think great minds think alike - I guess Mark and I posted at about the same time!!! Doh! But i will copy my post to that thread so the moderator can delete this one

#11619  by TR-00

Doors are a problem, but certainly, not a new one. Yes, the mechanical people need to fix the malfunctioning doors, but we as crew members have the responsibility to be sure they are written up, every time. As an engineer, I gleefully announce on the radio that we were delayed by a door problem, but I wonder if that does any good. Maybe Blockie can tell us...do you guys actually report door problems when we call them in?

Although we couldn't "fix" the doors, there were steps that my crews always used to minimize delays. First off, my crews never began the announcements until the train was in motion. Nothing worse than having no power because of an open door, and not being able to use the P.A. because someone was making "the announcement", "train number, destinstion, stops, weather, barometric pressure, scenic highlights, step up fares, feet on seats, tickets ready, hold hands and sing Kum-by-ahhh, etc, ad nausium". Second, the crews rapidly learned to make a quick check of the interior door lights as soon as the doors were supposed to close (only available on push=pull). Third, crews responded immediatly to the engineer croaking "center doors" over the P.A.

Doesn't fix the doors, but it sure cuts the delays.

#11622  by Jtgshu

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Thats great TR - we need you back SOON....its getting too boring out there.

Your right, lots of the wannabe radio announcers start to make annoucements just as the doors are closing, and I share my frustration with you when Im trying to tell tehm to check the doors in X number car..... I never make an annoucement until I hear the brakes release and we start to roll. I always also check the door lights inside....and nothing drive me more nuts when tehre is a door stuck, and a trainmen standing RIGHT NEXT TO IT. "oh there is a door problem?" ARRRRRRRRGHHHHHH - I say - "no, were sitting here for 5 minutes because we went to get coffee, did you want any????"

As for writing them up, well thats a whole other thing. I always right up as many doors as possible, the ones that I know don't work, and that break down during the trip, and notify my condcutor of the car number and door number. But are you saying there are some members of the UTU that are loads??? NOOOOO, im SURE you're not. :D

#11702  by Mark Schweber

JT wrote:
Hahaha - no I think great minds think alike - I guess Mark and I posted at about the same time!!!
We must have been posting at exactly the same time. I noticed you were on the board and thought to myself - there is someone else crazy enough to be looking here early on Easter morning.

About you comment regarding riders moving away from Comet V doors becasue they see other doors opening first and the Comet V doors are slower you are exactly right. This does delay things as riders do a shuffle first away from the Comet V door and then back again once it does open.
I know enough not to stand by a Comet V door if I have a choice. It is amazing that "the first computer controlled door" as the Ledger article points out is the slowest. I guess that is progress. Why a computer is needed in the first place with regard to the door is somewhat beyond me but for it to make it SLOWER is absurd.

#11809  by nick11a

Mark Schweber wrote:About you comment regarding riders moving away from Comet V doors becasue they see other doors opening first and the Comet V doors are slower you are exactly right.
I think that was actually me Mark in the other forum with ironically enough the exact same title as yours.

Either that or Jtgshu is just trying to rock the boat! :wink:

#11900  by Mark Schweber

I stand corrected. The second statement I referred to was in fact posted by Nick. I still agree with it however!

#11975  by mcmannors

Your right, lots of the wannabe radio announcers start to make annoucements just as the doors are closing
Actually, the "Talking Head" takes a while before "opening his mic" since his creaky knees take a while to get over to the P.A. after departing from low platforms! ;-)

#11983  by Jtgshu

OUCH...........ahhaahhahahahaaaha

He wasn't in my mind when I was typing that, but now that you mentioned it.............. :D

#12111  by nick11a

One more change that I think everyone would be happy with with the Comet 5s: getting rid of the door warning activation upon closing local. I mean for sheesh sakes, you don't need a ding-dong there! The guy who would be there doesn't need a warning that the door is closing because he is the one closing it.

This would also cut down station time and make it easier and quicker for rearbrakes to follow the rules and inspect the exterior before departing.