Railroad Forums 

• At Dover: why do trains go to the yard, not back to NY?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1507083  by SouthernRailway

Each time I've taken NJ Transit to Dover, which is at the end of the line, the train that arrives from NY immediately goes to the yard, and a new train comes from the yard, picks up passengers at Dover and heads to NY.

Why have trains at the end of the line head to the yard, with a new train starting in the yard and picking up passengers?

Wouldn't it be more efficient for trains that arrive at end stations such as Dover to just stop at the station and then go back to NY?

It only takes a few minutes for the train to head to the yard and a new train to start from the yard, go to the station and pick up passengers, but it still seems like a waste.
 #1507087  by Backshophoss

Except at NY Penn,NJT turns the train in the yard,instead of a quick change ends and go,Dover is a NJT crew base,and that crew may be done and going
off duty,also give the coach cleaning crew a chance for a quick sweep and trash dump off.
Better to swap a set out at a yard any way,if there're bad order cars that need to be set out.
 #1507141  by GSC

Not knowing the scheduling, maybe another train set was needed to be there for the next eastbound run, without waiting for a return train from NYP.
 #1507251  by eolesen

Nothing says "ride me" like a lav that hasn't been serviced in over 24 hours...

When equipment is immediately turned, lavs don't get dumped.

Multiply that times multiple turn & burn's during the day, and you eventually have full tanks... and that's going to require a trip to the yard. You don't want that done in the terminal/station. "Stuff" inevitably spills...
 #1507311  by JasW

eolesen wrote:Nothing says "ride me" like a lav that hasn't been serviced in over 24 hours...

When equipment is immediately turned, lavs don't get dumped.

Multiply that times multiple turn & burn's during the day, and you eventually have full tanks... and that's going to require a trip to the yard. You don't want that done in the terminal/station. "Stuff" inevitably spills...
Never was a problem with the old MUs!