Railroad Forums 

• Bombardier to bid on New Jersey rail contract: sources

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1491942  by EuroStar

The 900+ options in the contract will never be exercised. These are supposed to be bi-level EMUs which do not currently exist (compliant to US requirements) and could end up as white elephants as there are no other natural buyers of EMU thingies in the US. Also there is no way NJT needs 900 of these anyway in addition to the fact that it cannot afford them. The current MLVs have at least 35+ years in them (with one major overhaul), so I do not see them replaced. Anyone thinking that NJT will expand electrification needs to check the dire finances of the state first.
 #1491946  by trainbrain

It doesn't mention anything about EMU's in the article. If there are options for them, then I'm sure they can easily be changed to regular trailer cars if that is what is needed. The initial 113 car base order is going to start replacing the rest of the older Comets as they would need more locomotives for them to replace the Arrows.
 #1491948  by Ryand-Smith

EuroStar wrote:The 900+ options in the contract will never be exercised. These are supposed to be bi-level EMUs which do not currently exist (compliant to US requirements) and could end up as white elephants as there are no other natural buyers of EMU thingies in the US. Also there is no way NJT needs 900 of these anyway in addition to the fact that it cannot afford them. The current MLVs have at least 35+ years in them (with one major overhaul), so I do not see them replaced. Anyone thinking that NJT will expand electrification needs to check the dire finances of the state first.
Its mainly for Gladstone which has to be electric and should be all EMU (so they can have the push pulls on longer routes doing express work where the higher speed and power of a locomotive is superior to the start stop of an EMU), and so they can make all NEC locals EMU and higher speed to keep up schedules.
 #1491950  by orangeline

In the Chicago area Metra Electric lines are 100% equipped with modern bi-level EMUs. Aside from NJT, Septa and MARC might be considered potential customers for such cars.
 #1491954  by R36 Combine Coach

Any order of new MUs to replace Arrows, will have major implications as it will likely replace the Silverliner IVs as well, with over 460 cars (230 Arrow IIIs in the original fleet before retirements and 231 Silverliner IVs). The largest MU order since the M-7s.
 #1491994  by bdawe

orangeline wrote:In the Chicago area Metra Electric lines are 100% equipped with modern bi-level EMUs. Aside from NJT, Septa and MARC might be considered potential customers for such cars.
In reasonable world, would anyone want to start a *new* procurement for old-reg heavy FRA compliant EMUs when the FRA are no longer imposing those requirements?
 #1492002  by Backshophoss

Hopefully BBD can talk NJT out of a MLV II design EMU. A next Gen Arrow EMU that could be sold to MARC and MBTA along with NJT is what is
needed,NOT some "UNICORN" Bi-level design that will cost too much $$$$$$$$ in the R&D design stage.
 #1492005  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote:Hopefully BBD can talk NJT out of a MLV II design EMU. A next Gen Arrow EMU that could be sold to MARC and MBTA along with NJT is what is
needed.
BBD would have at least two off-the-shelf single level designs to base on: M7/M8 or the Silverliner V shell.
 #1492035  by EuroStar

I have no idea where you see the demand for these. SEPTA bought new Siverliners a few years ago and new electric locomotives more recently. Why would they need bi-level EMUs now? They are not planning system expansion and ridership is not growing enough to justify new equipment orders for at least 12-15 years. MARC and MBTA do not want to deal with electrics. Some say it is because of the economics, some say it is because of the small fleets, but they certainly do not want electrics and will not go electric unless forced to do so. Even if they acquire electrics (or continue to operate them in the case of MARC), they are more likely to go with locomotives to keep the fleet of the cars exchangeable with their other lines. EMUs are captive to the wired territory, while with locomotives it is only the engines that are captive to the wires.

Other than Caltrain nobody is putting wires anywhere. Caltrain is going with fixed consists. The only remotely possible buyer will be Denver if ridership explodes there and they decide to piggyback on existing orders the way they did with the Silverliners. More so now that the Silverliner facility in Philly is closed.
 #1492050  by andrewjw

Sorry, I agree with your points. I was replying to:
Backshophoss wrote:Hopefully BBD can talk NJT out of a MLV II design EMU. A next Gen Arrow EMU that could be sold to MARC and MBTA along with NJT is what is
needed,NOT some "UNICORN" Bi-level design that will cost too much $$$$$$$$ in the R&D design stage.
who was arguing that a single level EMU would be sold to more customers. I was just trying to point out that the bilevel could be sold to the same customers if they appeared. (I think MBTA is unlikely, SEPTA is likely, and MARC is plausible in a few years.)
SEPTA will be replacing the Silverliner IVs in not long - this order is for NJT replacing the Arrows from the same time period.