Railroad Forums 

• NJT won't meet PTC Deadline

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1486375  by MaRoFu

At Lincoln Park, they recently installed some large pole with an antenna on it. Does this have something to do with PTC or is it unrelated? I doubt they would install PTC equipment on this part of the MoBo though.
 #1486409  by CentralValleyRail

MaRoFu wrote:At Lincoln Park, they recently installed some large pole with an antenna on it. Does this have something to do with PTC or is it unrelated? I doubt they would install PTC equipment on this part of the MoBo though.
PTC is installed on the Bergen County Line at the Harristown Road Crossing why wouldn't PTC be installed in Lincoln Park. They are both Hoboken Division lines that don't touch Amtrak tracks... Believe the entire system has to be PTC'd. Just those not done by Dec 31st get banned from Amtrak...
 #1486430  by EuroStar

NJT just announced service cuts for the next three months and 10% discount on all tickets. I will provide a link to the story once it is available on njtransit.com.

Anyone wants to bet that not all trains will come back next year?

Edit: First article google found is this:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... me-service

Edit 2: And here are the details of the cuts: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/N ... 48221.html
 #1486436  by jamesinclair

Heres the meat:
The additional cancellations include 18 daily trains on five of its lines, as well as a suspension of all train service on a short rail segment in Princeton — fondly known as the Dinky — and weekend service on the Gladstone Branch of the Morris & Essex line, they said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/nyre ... rains.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1486722  by lensovet

EuroStar wrote:As per NJT board presentation as of September 7:
131 pieces of equipment (read cab cars and engines) have PTC gear installed with 151 left to go
19 poles remain out of 111
27 antennas remain out of 111
21 wayside units remain out of 119
44 people need training out of 1305

PTC test area has been extended to between Denville andSummit (it had been between Denville and Morristown).
that doesn't look bad at all in terms of infrastructure and personnel, but we are screwed on rolling stock installations.
 #1486774  by kilroy

They claim the pace will pick up:
What makes PTC installation difficult and time consuming is that NJ Transit has 10 different types of locomotives and rail cars. It’s similar to learning to install a 2018 infotainment system in several different models of cars built in the 1970’s, 1980’s and 1990's.

The new multi-level train cars are the easiest to install the required on-board computers, antennas and a nest of wiring in, Corbett said. The older trains, including Arrow III rail cars built in the 1970’s, are the hardest to retrofit, with few places to install equipment in, officials said.

What's allowed them to gain ground is that the learning curve is over on how to install PTC in the different types of rail cars and locomotives. That cut the production time from 14 days to seven days per car, allowing them to get equipment back on the rails sooner, officials said.
Full article here: https://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/20 ... ork_a.html
 #1486775  by mtuandrew

Nasadowsk wrote:
EuroStar wrote:Anyone wants to bet that not all trains will come back next year?
Sneaky way to kill off the ACL and Dinky.
Also a sneaky way to eliminate the Arrow fleet, since the Dinky is the only branch that needs MUs. It isn’t lost on me that they’re difficult recipients of PTC, like kilroy quotes above.

Also allows them to get closer to retiring the Comets and GP40s without needing to shift MLVs or PL42s/ALP-45s south.
 #1486794  by Ryand-Smith

mtuandrew wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:
EuroStar wrote:Anyone wants to bet that not all trains will come back next year?
Sneaky way to kill off the ACL and Dinky.
Also a sneaky way to eliminate the Arrow fleet, since the Dinky is the only branch that needs MUs. It isn’t lost on me that they’re difficult recipients of PTC, like kilroy quotes above.

Also allows them to get closer to retiring the Comets and GP40s without needing to shift MLVs or PL42s/ALP-45s south.
I feel like NJ should just lease a Silverliner V or just buy like 4 and have Pa repair them tbf.
 #1486874  by CNJGeep

Ryand-Smith wrote:I feel like NJ should just lease a Silverliner V or just buy like 4 and have Pa repair them tbf.
From where? SEPTA certainly see doesn't have any to spare, and it's not like they can buy new ones with Rotem closing up shop in Philly.
 #1486885  by DutchRailnut

just because philly is closing, does not mean end of Rotem.
 #1487099  by EuroStar

The Dinky does not really need PTC (single train occupying single track) other than the fact that it is connected to the mainline. I am assuming that they are not installing any PTC equipment on the branch other than at the merge, are they?
 #1487257  by andrewjw

lensovet wrote:but it is connect to the mainline, and i presume they did not want to sever that connection…
It's not like FRA compliant equipment - they can run PTC compliant equipment on the PTC-free Princeton branch and the boundary between the systems can enforce no more trains enter it.
 #1487387  by R&DB

andrewjw wrote:
lensovet wrote:but it is connect to the mainline, and i presume they did not want to sever that connection…
It's not like FRA compliant equipment - they can run PTC compliant equipment on the PTC-free Princeton branch and the boundary between the systems can enforce no more trains enter it.
The connection qt the junction is configured so that westbound trains on the main CANNOT enter the branch by accident. The connection exists so the Dinky can be moved off the branch for major service and to give MoW equipment access when necessary. I don't know how service moves are done currently, under the Dinky's own power or towed, but towed would probably remove the need for PTC.