Railroad Forums 

• Hoboken Terminal Capacity

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1507560  by TSTII

GSC wrote:Are there any plans to restore NJCL service direct to Hoboken anytime soon?
I hope so.
 #1507611  by EuroStar

TSTII wrote:
GSC wrote:Are there any plans to restore NJCL service direct to Hoboken anytime soon?
I hope so.
Your answer can be found here https://www.njtransit.com/inform/inform.html. Here is the quote:
Previously discontinued trains on Northeast Corridor (NEC), NJCL, MOBO, Morris and Essex Lines (M&E), Main/Bergen, Pascack Valley and Raritan Valley Line (RVL) will remain temporarily discontinued through Summer 2019.
None of the discontinued trains are coming back any time soon. NJT is still short on engineers to put those trains back. Also I have no doubt that not running those trains, cuts the operating expenses more than the revenues, so keeping the trains discontinued is a "fiscal win" for the operating budget.
 #1509119  by TDowling

I never understood why the Newark Division trains ever stopped at Hoboken, except as perhaps a remnant from CNJ days. Hoboken passengers (at least on the erie side) use hoboken to path to WTC. If youre going there, then path already provides service from Newark Penn.
 #1509139  by EuroStar

TDowling wrote:I never understood why the Newark Division trains ever stopped at Hoboken, except as perhaps a remnant from CNJ days. Hoboken passengers (at least on the erie side) use hoboken to path to WTC. If youre going there, then path already provides service from Newark Penn.
Currently only 1 Raritan and 2 Coast line trains end up in Hoboken. The primary reason is as you stated -- everyone transfers at Newark. The secondary reason is that there is not that much space at Hoboken to begin with given the current operating practices.
 #1509141  by Yankees1

It's usually 5 coast line trains, but who knows when the full schedule will be back. There will be a third coast line train beginning and ending in Hoboken starting in mid-June because of Penn repair work. There are some people that benefit from these trains, namely people who work in Hoboken (which is increasingly adding office space near the station) and those who work below 34th street but above the Financial District and can pick up the 33rd Street PATH at Hoboken (Many offices are moving to places such as Union Square and the West Village). The connecting ferry service at Hoboken also could help people who work very close to Brookfield or Pier 11.
 #1509147  by jamesinclair

TDowling wrote:I never understood why the Newark Division trains ever stopped at Hoboken, except as perhaps a remnant from CNJ days. Hoboken passengers (at least on the erie side) use hoboken to path to WTC. If youre going there, then path already provides service from Newark Penn.
If PATH accepted NJT passes that would be great, but they dont.
 #1509170  by Yankees1

If I had to guess, it would be because the Raritan Valley Trains (and North Jersey Coast trains below Long Branch) could not travel to Penn before the hybrids were introduced. The trip to Hoboken brought riders on the NJCL and on the RVL as close to NYC as they could get.