• Summit Walls are Falling Down

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by mohawkrailfan

I'm just Gladstone's not falling on trains anymore!
  by Hawaiitiki

mohawkrailfan wrote:I'm just Gladstone's not falling on trains anymore!
Zing
  by time

I wonder if the switch for the pocket track / Gladstone line construction will be sped up to accommodate closing the wall track for refurbishment.
  by adamj023

EuroStar wrote:The latest news on this are that the damage was caused by a metal junction box which came on contact with the trains, not by falling concrete http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/w ... 754811001/. I would not be surprised to see any unused conduits and junction boxes that are along the sides of the walls in the cuts removed in order to avoid repeat of this.
Fixing retaining walls and removing unused conduits and junction boxes is not complicated compared to other complicated projects like east side access and others. They just need a small team to go around and remove and replace concrete and old conduits and junction boxes. Even the subway system in NYC has had concrete falling on trains.

NJ Transit has a lot of needed work to do and has been behind schedule and problematic. Positive train control still needs implementation, replacement of old Arrow train cars from the 1970s and more. Since the gas tax was raised and projects funded, hopefully NJ Transit sees improvements in future years. Thankfully the falling concrete and junction box issues are known and will be fixed.

Even going on the parkways you see parts of retaining walls without concrete, and you would think they would replace those eventually.