Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1423506  by SecaucusJunction

They'd look really bad if they raised fares right now after the huge gas tax hike. How is the state funding still flat?
 #1423678  by philipmartin

SecaucusJunction wrote: How is the state funding still flat?
According to what y.ou hear at board meetings, it's not what it used to be. People call for a dedicated source of funds for NJT.
 #1423967  by Nasadowsk

philipmartin wrote: People call for a dedicated source of funds for NJT.
That's what the farebox is for.
 #1424174  by CentralValleyRail

Don't be surprised if it happens. NJT is crooked all the way through to it's core. Middle Level Management continues to suck out the public's money. Today's case of overcrowding was a sure call by middle level management not properly reporting what was forming until it was too late. Didn't see that happen over at MTA or with the Port Authority. In fact other than a brief 3 hour period we had the airtran running throughout the storm.
 #1424199  by EuroStar

CentralValleyRail wrote:Don't be surprised if it happens. NJT is crooked all the way through to it's core. Middle Level Management continues to suck out the public's money. Today's case of overcrowding was a sure call by middle level management not properly reporting what was forming until it was too late. Didn't see that happen over at MTA or with the Port Authority. In fact other than a brief 3 hour period we had the airtran running throughout the storm.
I don't think that Middle Level Management is to blame. Middle Level Management is scared to even open their mouths because they do not have the job security that union employees do. Middle Levels just go with what the bosses tell them. Unfortunately many of the bosses have no idea how to run a railroad because they got there through connections or because of politics.

I would have bet you Thursday night when they announced that they were going to use the gong to run on President's day schedule that the crowding would be horrendous -- for that reason I actually drove into the city. After everyone took the day off Tuesday, it was clear that more than 80-90% of the people would try to make it to work Wednesday. President's Day schedule is not made for 80-90% of the weekday ridership, it can probably handle about 50% or so. The lines that really suffered were the ones without extra service on President's Day vs. the weekend -- primarily Main/Bergen and Pascack, even though the other ones did get quite crowded too. NJT actually did run extra trains, but did not announce them before the morning rush, so commuters crowded onto the scheduled runs. The afternoon rush hour trains were announced in advance on njtransit.com. The reality is that NJT needs an emergency schedule that is in between normal weekday and President's Day.

As for the fare hike, it is definitely coming and it will not be pretty. Christie will do everything possible to push it into the next governor's term. We would be lucky if it is only 15%, but my money is on 20%. Anything less and we will see brutal service cuts on NJRail.
 #1424709  by jamesinclair

EuroStar wrote: As for the fare hike, it is definitely coming and it will not be pretty. Christie will do everything possible to push it into the next governor's term. We would be lucky if it is only 15%, but my money is on 20%. Anything less and we will see brutal service cuts on NJRail.
Unless the next governor actually cares about transit and covers that hike via money from someone else in the budget.

Of course, as Cuomo and de Blasio have shown, running on the D platform doesnt meant giving half a sh- about transit.