Railroad Forums 

• Closed stairs at Penn Station NYC

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1439415  by SecaucusJunction

So the largest part of the complex (by far) will be the one used by the least amount of passengers.
 #1439551  by jamesinclair

EuroStar wrote:
Given that NJT did not contribute a single dollar to the concourse, why would it be any different? NY State is not going to pay for NJT facilities.
Some of us like to live our lives under the "dont be an a$$hole" mantra.

Considering it would cost them next to zero to add the existing NJ Transit feed to their screens, not doing so does indeed make them a$$holes.

Never mind NJ Transit not budging a finger to help their passengers use the new entrance.
 #1439641  by EuroStar

jamesinclair wrote:Considering it would cost them next to zero to add the existing NJ Transit feed to their screens, not doing so does indeed make them a$$holes.
Never mind NJ Transit not budging a finger to help their passengers use the new entrance.
I agree with you for the most part: NJT should have at least offered to pay $200k or something like that to get departure boards and TVMs in there. As for NY State, it is very hard to stand in front of voters and explain to them why you are spending money on out-of-staters. Not that there are not good reasons to do so (all taxes paid by NJ residents working in NY), but even with those reasons the screaming would have been there. The proper thing to do was probably for NJT to offer to pay something so as to provide cover for the politicians while the feeds were added anyway.
 #1439708  by JamesRR

EuroStar wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:Considering it would cost them next to zero to add the existing NJ Transit feed to their screens, not doing so does indeed make them a$$holes.
I agree with you for the most part: NJT should have at least offered to pay $200k or something like that to get departure boards and TVMs in there. As for NY State, it is very hard to stand in front of voters and explain to them why you are spending money on out-of-staters. Not that there are not good reasons to do so (all taxes paid by NJ residents working in NY), but even with those reasons the screaming would have been there. The proper thing to do was probably for NJT to offer to pay something so as to provide cover for the politicians while the feeds were added anyway.
I assume because tracks 1-4 are inaccessible from the concourse, NJT figures it's not a viable departure area and won't recommend passengers use it for departures.
 #1439726  by SecaucusJunction

I walked through there this weekend. If you want to hang out there and hope the train arrives on one of those tracks, you definitely can. Once the track is posted on Departurevision, you can easily walk to tracks 1-4, if necessary. That will also be enormously helpful if you want to hang out in the new station area (if and when it is built) but still catch your NJT train.
 #1439807  by JamesRR

SecaucusJunction wrote:I walked through there this weekend. If you want to hang out there and hope the train arrives on one of those tracks, you definitely can. Once the track is posted on Departurevision, you can easily walk to tracks 1-4, if necessary. That will also be enormously helpful if you want to hang out in the new station area (if and when it is built) but still catch your NJT train.
It's a pretty long walk to get to tracks 1-4 though from there. I think if you know ahead of time that you're on track 5 or higher it's very useful.

This morning when I arrived on track 6 from Trenton, all of the staircases were packed - except those to the new WEC. It seems no one knows to use it, instead, jamming the existing exits. NJT should at least announce it as an exit option, considering they insist everyone get off the train ASAP when it arrives.
 #1439933  by EuroStar

JamesRR wrote:It's a pretty long walk to get to tracks 1-4 though from there. I think if you know ahead of time that you're on track 5 or higher it's very useful.
Even if the train is on tracks 1-4, one can walk down one of the stairs, say to track 5, walk along the platform, up another set of stairs and then again down to platforms for tracks 1-4. Going around is not only long, but one needs to "fight" the crowds jamming the rest of the station. To avoid crowds, I suggest using a platform that has no trains announced on the screens -- that guarantees that it will be empty -- trying to walk the platform while another train is boarding passengers is no fun.
 #1444512  by Tommy Meehan

I don't think this has been posted anywhere else, but the person who began this thread, Philip Martin -- known to a generation of railroaders as 'Pots 'n Pans' -- just passed away. I heard about this just now. Apparently his funeral service was today. Phil Martin had an amazing 60 year career in the rail industry. I think he began as a tower operator with the Pennsylvania Railroad and wound up as a station agent with NJ Transit. I know he worked at Metuchen for quite a while and I believe his last assignment was at Middletown NJ on the North Jersey Coast Line.

I traded messages with Phil here numerous times, some of which led to discussions that continued off-list as well. I always found him to be congenial and gentlemanly, as well as an amazing source of rail knowledge and history. God Bless You Phil! :(
 #1444516  by pumpers

Tommy Meehan wrote:I don't think this has been posted anywhere else, but the person who began this thread, Philip Martin -- known to a generation of railroaders as 'Pots 'n Pans' -- just passed away. I heard about this just now. Apparently his funeral service was today. Phil Martin had an amazing 60 year career in the rail industry. I think he began as a tower operator with the Pennsylvania Railroad and wound up as a station agent with NJ Transit. I know he worked at Metuchen for quite a while and I believe his last assignment was at Middletown NJ on the North Jersey Coast Line.

I traded messages with Phil here numerous times, some of which led to discussions that continued off-list as well. I always found him to be congenial and gentlemanly, as well as an amazing source of rail knowledge and history. God Bless You Phil! :(
Oh my, sad to hear that. He must really have loved the RR - working as long as he did. I enjoyed all the flavorful detail in his posts about way back when.
Moderators - this deserves its own thread.
Jim
I just googled and couldn't find any obituary online - can someone please post if they find one
 #1444522  by Tommy Meehan

He loved the railroad. no doubt of that. I wasn't able to find an obit either but I was told by a former colleague of Phil's, he was laid to rest today at the Gates of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne New York, where Phil will be able to hear Metro-North trains rumbling by. I was also told that Phil had suffered some kind of stroke or collapse last May and had never regained consciousness. I noted when looking at his RR Net profile, his last posts here were last May.