Railroad Forums 

• NJT Comet IV Cars

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1423427  by DutchRailnut

I think it has more to do with door, trapdoor and steps under engineers seat, and a local agreement with BLET.
the Alstom cab cars do not have that door and trap and have better seats and heat and safety.
 #1423598  by CNJGeep

DutchRailnut wrote:I think it has more to do with door, trapdoor and steps under engineers seat, and a local agreement with BLET.
the Alstom cab cars do not have that door and trap and have better seats and heat and safety.
Comet IVs have none of those items.
 #1423633  by Passaic River Rat

DutchRailnut wrote:I think it has more to do with door, trapdoor and steps under engineers seat, and a local agreement with BLET.
You think wrong.
 #1423635  by SecaucusJunction

Isn't there a separate reason why they need to always be directly behind the locomotive?
 #1423857  by Olton Hall

SecaucusJunction wrote:Isn't there a separate reason why they need to always be directly behind the locomotive?
I suspect it's because they have an end door that they can close that keeps the weather out far better than a little bar.
 #1424908  by JamesRR

I thought one reason was FRA structural standards. The older Comet cabs didn't meet newer requirements, hence all cabs are now the Comet V.
 #1427194  by NJT4207

there are no steps under the engineer's seat on Comet 4's.
 #1427426  by sully7302

JamesRR wrote:I thought one reason was FRA structural standards. The older Comet cabs didn't meet newer requirements, hence all cabs are now the Comet V.
That is a rumor considering Metro North has no problem running the same equipment on the other side of the Hudson.
 #1427731  by ChrisU

I thought it was an Amtrak restriction which prevented them from leading trains or is this not true?
 #1429032  by AmTransit

None of those have anything to do with the Comet IV's not leading any longer. The Comet IV's are equipped with EPIC 3102 which includes a very old EPIC computer and other components of the air brake system which are no longer available. This and a few other things prevent them from leading but does not effect them from trailing at this time.
 #1429324  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ConrailRailfan wrote:Thanks for the replies. Are there any chances of them leading again if/when they upgrade them?

Chances are they're getting retired by the backside of the next MLV procurement after the Comet II's get mowed down. Interim fixes are most likely dependent on how much-delayed the MLV procurement is because of agency finances/dysfunction.