Railroad Forums 

• NJT rail ticket question

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1390499  by AlenUES

Are one way tickets purchased for a station on the Hoboken division valid to go to the equivalent zone Newark division stations? So for instance, can I use a Newark Broad Street ticket to go to Newark Penn Station or do I need a separate ticket?

NJT ticket policies are very confusing compared to the MTA's railroads.
 #1390939  by pumpers

A sort of related ticket question:

From the Newark Airport station, heading westbound towards Princeton Junction, sometimes there are big gaps (on the order of an hour) in the schedule, like during the evening rush. (the Coast line does not count). So I take a train eastbound to Newark Penn and then take a westbound from there, all using my airport to Princeton Junction ticket. There is no time to check tickets from the airport to Newark Penn, but then westbound out of Newark Penn (on a train which skips the airport, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this in the first place) sometimes the conductor gives me a hard time. Is this use of the EWR-PJT ticket legit or not? JS
 #1391002  by JeffersonLeeEng

Well, technically, you're going two separate trips. If you were boarding with a ticket marked NWK to TRE and you accidentally boarded a train going to Jersey Ave, that's understandable and it's just the same one-way trip. But I think passing thru a station stop twice on a one-way fare is a big no-no.
 #1391006  by jamesinclair

The problem is that you cant buy a EWR-Newark ticket without it charging you $5.50 for the monorail.

Ive done it as well. 1 hour gap so I went to Newark to grab some food.

NJT shouldnt penalize the rider for an inconvenience they caused.
 #1391034  by andegold

I believe if you use the NJT trip planner EWR to PJC you will, depending on the time of day, be given a proposed trip that involves going East to Newark Penn to catch a NEC train West that will skip EWR. Therefore, doing so on your own should be acceptable.
 #1391037  by andegold

In fact, if you plan a trip from EWR to PJC departing the airport at 4:00pm you will be routed via train 3856 to Newark Penn followed by two separate one minute bus rides (routes 1 and 25) and finally train 3947 from Newark to PJC. The OP's proposed route is clearly not two separate trips but merely one trip involving some backtracking due to schedule limitations.
 #1391039  by Jeff Smith

It's generally against our policy to quote fare/tariff amounts, rules, and reg's. I don't mind "extemporaneous" questions concerning what's general practice, but rule of thumb questions concerning zone cross-honoring should be referred to the appropriate agency. We're not responsible for extemporaneous answers given here; get it from the source, please and thanks!