Railroad Forums 

• Any ideas how/if the NJT strike will affect NE Amtrak?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1374702  by jamesinclair

DestinationUnknown wrote:Yeah Amtrak won't service NJT stops. To suggest they should out of solidarity to non-railroaders makes no sense.
Amtrak already serves Trenton, Princeton, New Brunswick, Metropark and Newark.

I dont see why they couldnt operate their standard trains but add a few cars at the back to accommodate additional demand.
 #1374714  by EuroStar

jamesinclair wrote:
DestinationUnknown wrote:Yeah Amtrak won't service NJT stops. To suggest they should out of solidarity to non-railroaders makes no sense.
I dont see why they couldnt operate their standard trains but add a few cars at the back to accommodate additional demand.
I really wonder what Amtrak is planning because it is a certainty that a few hundred people will definitely try to board their trains even without tickets (and hoping to buy them onboard). Any train that stops in NJ will be standing room only, but not stopping in NJ requires inconveniencing a lot of customers that are not commuters plus a lot of refunds. It certainly will be a bad situation. I really do not see Amtrak adding cars - there are not enough to be had and doing so amounts to taking the side of the State/NJ Transit. Amtrak has better things to do than to get in to a Iabor dispute involving someone else's employees.
 #1374722  by jamesinclair

EuroStar wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:
I really wonder what Amtrak is planning because it is a certainty that a few hundred people will definitely try to board their trains even without tickets (and hoping to buy them onboard). Any train that stops in NJ will be standing room only, but not stopping in NJ requires inconveniencing a lot of customers that are not commuters plus a lot of refunds. It certainly will be a bad situation.
Agreed. The penalty of getting kicked off the train at the next stop isnt that big of a deterrent when thats your destination anyway.
 #1374967  by mvb119

jamesinclair wrote:

Only about 3 trains a day stop at Princeton Junction every weekday in each direction, and only one a day stops at New Brunswick, all morning departures are westbound and evenings they stop eastbound, not exactly conducive to commuting to New York. Amtrak isn't in the business of running commuter trains, at least not their own trains.I don't think Amtrak passengers would be too happy about the extra stops when they paid a premium to ride an intercity train that is supposed to be faster and make fewer stops than a commuter train. Secondly you assume that there is just extra cars laying around all over the place when there isn't, the fleet is stretched pretty thin, and those cars are needed on other trains, or they need to spend time in the shop. There are no plans to accommodate NJT riders, end of story.