Railroad Forums 

• MLV/Comet overnight substitution

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1371501  by bharatrao

On Tue, my usual ride back home (6437) from NY Penn to Murray Hill ended up being a 9-car MLV instead of the usual 8-car set. This train set usually sits in Gladstone overnight and makes the east bound run as 6406 the following morning (which is my usual east bound ride). So I assumed I would get the 9-car set the foll (wed) morning. However a bit after 8pm on Tue, i saw the 9-car set make a eastward dash (running empty) past Murray Hill . And this (Wed) morning, 6406 was a comet set - which means, sometime overnight they sent the comet set from wherever to Gladstone.
Questions:
- Why go to this trouble. Agreed some other service would be a car short but that happens sometimes anyway?
- Aren't there significant costs of doing this (running the train, overtime for staff etc.?)
- Who would have the authority to make calls like this?
 #1371578  by leviramsey

bharatrao wrote:
There's a variety of reasons. Too many to list.
And the top two would be?
Crews have to finish their shifts at the same base as they started from. The normal schedule for which trainsets and crews work which runs takes that into account. But events can result in that normal schedule changing (e.g. a certain number of train breakdowns or severe delays). What the scenario you're describing sounds like is the 8-car set normally used for 6437 wasn't available (it might have broken down, it might have been delayed on its previous run into NYP, it might have been pressed into service on another line to cover for a breakdown or delay). The choice then becomes cancel 6437, severely delay 6437, or take a set scheduled for another line (the 9-car MLV) for 6437. That set's crew can't finish a shift in Gladstone, so they deadheaded. Meanwhile, Gladstone would be a set short for Wednesday, so that required a deadhead of an 8-car set.
 #1371710  by DestinationUnknown

leviramsey wrote:
bharatrao wrote:
There's a variety of reasons. Too many to list.
And the top two would be?
Crews have to finish their shifts at the same base as they started from. The normal schedule for which trainsets and crews work which runs takes that into account. But events can result in that normal schedule changing (e.g. a certain number of train breakdowns or severe delays). What the scenario you're describing sounds like is the 8-car set normally used for 6437 wasn't available (it might have broken down, it might have been delayed on its previous run into NYP, it might have been pressed into service on another line to cover for a breakdown or delay). The choice then becomes cancel 6437, severely delay 6437, or take a set scheduled for another line (the 9-car MLV) for 6437. That set's crew can't finish a shift in Gladstone, so they deadheaded. Meanwhile, Gladstone would be a set short for Wednesday, so that required a deadhead of an 8-car set.
Pretty good, but the new set's crew would not operate 6437 necessarily.
 #1371730  by srock1028

bharatrao wrote: - Why go to this trouble. Agreed some other service would be a car short but that happens sometimes anyway?
Because two 9ML sets wont fit in Gladstone Yard. The whole yard would have been fouled up.
 #1371928  by bharatrao

I forgot to add.....the crew was the usual guys working the 9 car MLV....So maybe it wasn't that. Gladstone not being able to take 2 9 car MLVs is very plausible...maybe that's what it was.
 #1372586  by hovercat

bharatrao wrote:I forgot to add.....the crew was the usual guys working the 9 car MLV....So maybe it wasn't that. Gladstone not being able to take 2 9 car MLVs is very plausible...maybe that's what it was.
That is the reason. There's no "maybe" about it. I don't know why srock still chooses to waste his time posting here as this forum lost all attraction for employees to share information with. I know you're new here based on the posts you're making; but if srock (or any other of the employees who formerly contributed here) gives you information, you take it as fact and thank him. Unfortunately for you, this forum has become a vacuum of knowledge and the only posts you'll usually see are the "adults" whining/crying about slow service or philipmartin rambling incessantly about one of the hundred different jobs he's held and then subsequently lost on the railroad.

I honestly feel this forum is like New York Penn Station. Once a grand place where information, hilarity, and friendships flourished; now just an eyesore where you want to spend as little time as possible. To the members here I used to enjoy talking to and helping: hi and sorry.

-Cruiser
 #1372634  by bharatrao

but if srock (or any other of the employees who formerly contributed here) gives you information, you take it as fact and thank him
Ok Thanks Srock.

And Cruiser, yes I am new and not particularly ashamed of it. I am a train lover and a relatively new commuter on the Gladstone line (and to NJT) - and try to understand the operational aspects of these trains as much as possible through this forum and in conversations with the crew.

I haven't specifically checked the profile of every person that responded to my posts - so hard for me to tell if a particular response was definitive or not or was by an employee or not. My "maybe" was not meant to suggest that I didn't believe the response. Just a continuation of the train of thought. So your suggestion that I be more deferential to certain responses v/s others is an interesting one....something I'm sure that will automatically happen as I get to know the other participants. I would be the first to raise my hats off to employees who participate in these forums and take the trouble of effectively reliving their day jobs for us curious commuters.
 #1372753  by CentralValleyRail

bharatrao wrote:
but if srock (or any other of the employees who formerly contributed here) gives you information, you take it as fact and thank him
Ok Thanks Srock.

And Cruiser, yes I am new and not particularly ashamed of it. I am a train lover and a relatively new commuter on the Gladstone line (and to NJT) - and try to understand the operational aspects of these trains as much as possible through this forum and in conversations with the crew.

I haven't specifically checked the profile of every person that responded to my posts - so hard for me to tell if a particular response was definitive or not or was by an employee or not. My "maybe" was not meant to suggest that I didn't believe the response. Just a continuation of the train of thought. So your suggestion that I be more deferential to certain responses v/s others is an interesting one....something I'm sure that will automatically happen as I get to know the other participants. I would be the first to raise my hats off to employees who participate in these forums and take the trouble of effectively reliving their day jobs for us curious commuters.
And that is any different from your complaining Cruiser? Dutchrailnut has taken over for you since you left.

I thought you left because you couldn't stand us. So why come back? That itch to be right?

Yeah sure we like to complain but we do it in style.

Maybe you'll learn something from us at the Port Authority... And before you tell us we don't know what were doing (or "lets mention bridgegate") at least our paygrades put us in the top 10%. That alone puts us 20 miles ahead of anyone at your agency.
 #1372789  by hovercat

bharatrao wrote:
Ok Thanks Srock.

Welcome to the community. Unfortunately for you and like I mentioned earlier, there is a real vacuum of knowledge here and actual facts. There are a few very knowledgeable posters here who will give you good information but I think other than the occasional post by sully or myself, there are no other active employees posting on here (srock is a former employee who still knows a helluva lot). Most of what you'll read here are either complaints or guesses/opinions posed as facts. Best of luck.

-Cruiser
 #1372793  by hovercat

CentralValleyRail wrote:And that is any different from your complaining Cruiser? Dutchrailnut has taken over for you since you left.

I thought you left because you couldn't stand us. So why come back? That itch to be right?

Yeah sure we like to complain but we do it in style.

Maybe you'll learn something from us at the Port Authority... And before you tell us we don't know what were doing (or "lets mention bridgegate") at least our paygrades put us in the top 10%. That alone puts us 20 miles ahead of anyone at your agency.
If you'll take the time to reread my first post, you'll see that I was not complaining; I was merely sharing my observations on what this forum has become. I did leave because this forum lost its appeal; a quick look at my stats will show that I've only made 12 posts (not counting this one) in two and a half years. I hardly think that's indicative of a burning desire to return.

As for you guys over at the Port Authority, I have no idea why you're trying to turn this into a NJT vs PA thing (and especially why I'd ever cite something our jacka$$ of a governor did as a fault of the PA). I harbor no resentment towards the PA and respect the work undertaken there. I have many friends who work there and have been approached on several occasions for job opportunities within the organization. When it comes down to it though, I am a railroader at heart; and nothing the PA does con be considered railroading. It's a shame that you feel like comparing salaries will act as an insult as well. I love my job and am lucky enough that I can do it and not feel overburdened with the admittedly underwhelming salary that I am paid. I can only hope that you and the rest of the members here are (or can be) lucky enough to have a job that you can derive as much pleasure from performing as I do.

-Cruiser
 #1372810  by srock1028

hovercat wrote:but if srock (or any other of the employees who formerly contributed here) gives you information, you take it as fact and thank him.
hovercat wrote:(srock is a former employee who still knows a helluva lot)
Thank You sir. Hope all is well on the other side of the river. Keep those West Of Hudson trains moving!
 #1372819  by EuroStar

To all: please tone it down and behave as adults. Keep to the topic. There is no need to insult anyone. I appreciate the knowledge of the knowledgable, I am OK with the "railfans" speculating, but there is no place for insults and childish bullying here.

So back to topic please.
 #1373369  by bleet

hovercat wrote:
bharatrao wrote:I forgot to add.....the crew was the usual guys working the 9 car MLV....So maybe it wasn't that. Gladstone not being able to take 2 9 car MLVs is very plausible...maybe that's what it was.
That is the reason. There's no "maybe" about it. I don't know why srock still chooses to waste his time posting here as this forum lost all attraction for employees to share information with. I know you're new here based on the posts you're making; but if srock (or any other of the employees who formerly contributed here) gives you information, you take it as fact and thank him. Unfortunately for you, this forum has become a vacuum of knowledge and the only posts you'll usually see are the "adults" whining/crying about slow service or philipmartin rambling incessantly about one of the hundred different jobs he's held and then subsequently lost on the railroad.

I honestly feel this forum is like New York Penn Station. Once a grand place where information, hilarity, and friendships flourished; now just an eyesore where you want to spend as little time as possible. To the members here I used to enjoy talking to and helping: hi and sorry.

-Cruiser
Cruiser we've missed you. Can you get your friends at NJT to update the Capital Projects page? bharatrao, do yourself a favor and go back through the writings of Cruiser. Fun reading and very educational.