Railroad Forums 

• NJT Monthlies on HBLR

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1369904  by bharatrao

Very hard to get straight answers....does an NJT monthly from Murray Hill to HOB or NYP entitle the holder to unrestricted travel on HBLR (HOB to Jersey City, for instance)? NJT conductor I asked said he would try to find out but apparently there's a history of flip flops on both Newark Light Rail & HBLR. He hasn't come back to me on it and web searches so far haven't helped.
 #1369907  by SemperFidelis

As a random GUESS and nothing more, I believe it is likely that the monthly pass is not valid on HBLR as that line is operated and maintained by 21st Century Rail Corp. (part of the DBOM contract entered when the line was being built) and is only branded as NJT. I would imagine they'd want to keep thier fare system to themselves.

I'm probably wrong, though. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer.
 #1369919  by bharatrao

Thanks speedbird. That settles it pretty unambiguously. Either this was added relatively recently or I have just been plain sloppy.
 #1369954  by SemperFidelis

The zoo...

As progressive as I am, I've taken enough back pain meds to end up laughing.

Mea culpa on my bad guess about the ticket usage.
 #1370010  by MACTRAXX

speedbird wrote:Yes.

http://www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet. ... etsTo&DP=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toward the bottom, "Use Your Rail Pass on Light Rail".
Everyone:

NJT Monthly Rail Passes have a bus zone(s) number indicated on them in a block on the pass.
As long as this number - which shows the equivalent bus zones that the pass would be valid for - is 2 or higher
it should be valid without question on the HBLR. This is basically for cross-honoring use.

MACTRAXX
 #1370467  by mohawkrailfan

For some reason the weekly pass is always 1 bus zone whereas the monthly pass varies with the distance of the pass.
 #1370562  by srock1028

mohawkrailfan wrote:For some reason the weekly pass is always 1 bus zone whereas the monthly pass varies with the distance of the pass.
Could it be because weekly passes are far much cheaper than monthly passes, and aren't valid for as long?
 #1370606  by timz

bharatrao wrote:Either this was added relatively recently...
Offhand guess: monthlies have always been good on light rail. They were when I was last there, in 2008.
 #1373798  by ryanov

srock1028 wrote:Could it be because weekly passes are far much cheaper than monthly passes, and aren't valid for as long?
I don't really see what difference it makes. Isn't a monthly cheaper than 4 weeklies? They let you use the bus with a monthly pass.