Railroad Forums 

• Possible NJ Transit "SOFT STRIKE"

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1374340  by time

Ouch. Newark. Without a PATH extension to EWR in place, your only transit option will be a bus. I wonder if they have a plan in place...

Glad I'm not flying into this region on business!
 #1374420  by kilroy

Ken S. wrote:Freight rail will also grind to a halt unless NS and CSX are already making plans of their own.
Don't think so. The lines dispatched by NJT will halt operations but the Lehigh Line and River Line should be in operation. They don't run on NJT tracks (at least I don't think the River Line does).
 #1374442  by ExCon90

time wrote: NJT has a refund policy posted on their website for monthly pass holders. Read it, print it out... and when submitting be sure to send a certified letter and print a copy of your receipt and monthly pass so you have proof that you mailed your pass to them. You could always open a dispute with your credit card company. Or, join the inevitable class-action lawsuit for refunds.
What some transit operators have done in the past, rather than get bogged down in dealing with a gazillion refund requests, is knock something off the price of next month's pass for everybody. There'll probably be an announcement after the strike; let's hope it's not too long in coming.
 #1374523  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I'll second that...More then likely NJT will make an adjustment to regular commuters in some form and one of the
easiest ways is to credit riders that have commutation tickets towards future purchases.

Hold on to any Monthly or Weekly tickets that are for a period during a strike for that reason.

MACTRAXX
 #1374644  by freightguy

Gary Dellaverson is the lead negotiator for NJT talks. He has more or less done all the bargaining for New York's MTA Metro North and LIRR for at least the past twenty years. On behalf of the carriers(railroads). I agree with posters on here that after all the papers are sold a deal will be reached by Sunday. Maybe not, but I guess we'll see soon enough.
 #1374704  by jamesinclair

freightguy wrote:Gary Dellaverson is the lead negotiator for NJT talks. He has more or less done all the bargaining for New York's MTA Metro North and LIRR for at least the past twenty years. On behalf of the carriers(railroads). I agree with posters on here that after all the papers are sold a deal will be reached by Sunday. Maybe not, but I guess we'll see soon enough.
Im thinking they might go on strike Sunday because nobody in this state cares about people who dont work M-F 9-5. But once it looks like Monday rush might be affected, deal happens.
 #1374808  by DutchRailnut

currently base salary for engr or Cdr is about $60 k or 3 % below other transit agencies for same region or service in same area before current contract.
 #1374961  by CentralValleyRail

Sounds like a deal has been made. That's too bad all this does is Make NJT look like the heros and the union like you know what. That's a real shame.... I really wanted to see those suckers over at NJT management squirm.
 #1374977  by truck6018

CentralValleyRail wrote:Sounds like a deal has been made. That's too bad all this does is Make NJT look like the heros and the union like you know what. That's a real shame.... I really wanted to see those suckers over at NJT management squirm.
Are you saying if there was a strike the union would be the heros? I think it's a little premature to say who got the better end of the deal as no details have been released.

I am certain of one thing, when it comes to a strike, there is no winner.
 #1374995  by CentralValleyRail

truck6018 wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:Sounds like a deal has been made. That's too bad all this does is Make NJT look like the heros and the union like you know what. That's a real shame.... I really wanted to see those suckers over at NJT management squirm.
Are you saying if there was a strike the union would be the heros? I think it's a little premature to say who got the better end of the deal as no details have been released.

I am certain of one thing, when it comes to a strike, there is no winner.
The terms of the deal are meaningless to 99.9% of the population. The only people that care are the workers and NJT.

The public perception is what I'm talking about...
 #1375003  by matawanaberdeen

This is a good thing. I am 100% behind the union, I am union worker myself in a totally unrelated industry. Like I said I am 100% behind organized labor, and they would have been well within their right to strike, and I would of understood that and been behind that as well. With that said it would have been a total nightmare everywhere. I'm glad its resolved, and the strike was averted.