Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#156702  by Tri-State Tom

WOW !

Checked out Summit last night from about 5:30 till 7:15....musta seen 35+ trains of ALL TYPES ( 44's, 46's, F40's GP40PH's, Comet I's, II's, III's, IV's, V's, Arrows but no GP40FH's ) coming and going serving large #'s of PGA riders headed east AND west. Also saw 2 eastbound EXTRAS running non-stop thru the station.

Most unusual sight ?

Howz about a 6-Comet mix arriving westbound out of Hoboken headed to Dover being PUSHED by GP40PH #4145....with the long hood facing EAST !! I've NEVER seen that before. Can/did #4145 run long hood forward on a revenue run eastbound ? Guess so.

In brief -

NJT has a PA guy announcing all train arrivals/departures....new electronic trainboards on the platforms and in the overhead walkway....NJT has repaired/painted the concrete walls....BMW advertisements throughout the walkway ( big ad $$$ ! )....heavy police presense on the platforms for crowd control....NJT has a lone GP40 ( # ? ) on station out in the yard as an emergency 'protect' engine....NJT MOW crews seen carrying grease buckets and brushes out on the interlockings at both ends of the station keeping switches lubed....ALL yard siding rails polished and gleaming as all have been getting continual use this week.

Haven't seen Summit this busy in over 35 years !

#156767  by nick11a

Yeah, they have been improving Summit for months. The improvements are very nice.

And the sighting with 4145 is very rare indeed. Nice catch.

Service on the MnE has been exceptional this week. Just sorry things will be going back to the old way this upcoming week.

#156804  by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:WOW !

Checked out Summit last night from about 5:30 till 7:15....musta seen 35+ trains of ALL TYPES ( 44's, 46's, F40's GP40PH's, Comet I's, II's, III's, IV's, V's, Arrows but no GP40FH's ) coming and going serving large #'s of PGA riders headed east AND west. Also saw 2 eastbound EXTRAS running non-stop thru the station.

Most unusual sight ?

Howz about a 6-Comet mix arriving westbound out of Hoboken headed to Dover being PUSHED by GP40PH #4145....with the long hood facing EAST !! I've NEVER seen that before. Can/did #4145 run long hood forward on a revenue run eastbound ? Guess so.

In brief -

NJT has a PA guy announcing all train arrivals/departures....new electronic trainboards on the platforms and in the overhead walkway....NJT has repaired/painted the concrete walls....BMW advertisements throughout the walkway ( big ad $$$ ! )....heavy police presense on the platforms for crowd control....NJT has a lone GP40 ( # ? ) on station out in the yard as an emergency 'protect' engine....NJT MOW crews seen carrying grease buckets and brushes out on the interlockings at both ends of the station keeping switches lubed....ALL yard siding rails polished and gleaming as all have been getting continual use this week.

Haven't seen Summit this busy in over 35 years !

Tom,

Wow, nice catch!! Hope you got pictures that night!!! Very rare indeed!!

Steve

#157024  by Lackawanna484

The Sunday round of the PGA was terminated early due to storms. A few players had completed their play, and others were still on the course.

The top 12 (?) remaining players will play again on Monday to complete their holes. A few have 2 remaining, others 3-4-5. Play begins at 10 am.

I wonder if NJT will run special trains again on Monday?

#157031  by Tri-State Tom

484 -

Just thought about that as well....EXCELLENT question !

They might get 20-25,000 tomorrow as opposed to the 30-35,000 that attended yesterday and today. Play resumes at 10 a.m. but folks will start arriving at 7-7:30 a.m.. Will the shuttle busses be running to/from Summit ? I'll bet yes and I bet NJT will run a couple express extras out of NY Penn westbound tomorrow a.m. and a couple out of Dover eastbound too.

We're gonna see ALOT of 'extra' equipment moves on the Morristown line thru the night tonight as NJT gears up for tomorrow !

#157046  by Tri-State Tom

Off NJT's site @8:15 p.m. -
NJ TRANSIT will operate regular service on the Morris & Essex and Gladstone lines tomorrow, 8/15/05. The four-day special PGA pass will be honored tomorrow only due to the extension of PGA play.
Expect crowded conditions in the a.m. rush.

PGA should conclude by 2 p.m. which means crowds should be gone at Summit by 3-3:30 p.m..

....UNLESS there's a play-off....which is VERY possible !

#157178  by glennk419

No playoff!

Lefty just took it in regulation. Congrats Phil!!!!