Railroad Forums 

• Montclair Connection Question

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1362493  by NJT4126

Hello all,

I'm new here and I wanted to ask something that I've wondered for a while; why exactly was the Montclair Connection built? AFAIK, the extended electrification only went as far as MSU and service beyond there does not go directly to Penn Station (according to the latest MB Line schedule) and it still terminates at Hoboken. So, what purpose does the connection serve besides extending MidTOWN Direct service further into Montclair?
 #1362566  by ThirdRail7

NJT4126 wrote:Hello all,

I'm new here and I wanted to ask something that I've wondered for a while; why exactly was the Montclair Connection built? AFAIK, the extended electrification only went as far as MSU and service beyond there does not go directly to Penn Station (according to the latest MB Line schedule) and it still terminates at Hoboken. So, what purpose does the connection serve besides extending MidTOWN Direct service further into Montclair?

Basically, it allowed service from the Monclair/Boonton to access Secaucus Jct station.
 #1362569  by snavely

Among other reasons, such as access to Secaucus Jct., one very compelling reason was the fact that the bridges on what was called the Lower Boonton LIne over the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers had become unsafe and needed either extensive rehab or replacement. The one over the Passaic, especially, known as WR draw is in particularly bad shape, as its' foundations have been undermined by river currents to the point where it may topple over one day. These two bridges simply could not continue to support the weight of trains much longer and the low ridership originating at the three stations below Montclair- Benson St. (Glen Ridge), Rowe St. (Bloomfield) and Arlington did not justify the cost required to continue service.
 #1363172  by oknazevad

Passaic River Rat wrote:And FWIW, NJT never owned the lower Boonton line. They leased it from Conrail. The plan was to build the connection from day 1 of NJT.
That's the reason they also never installed welded rail on the portion when every other line got it. It's was stick rail all the way up to the final day of NJT operations. And still is.