Railroad Forums 

• Track Usage in Trenton

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1354240  by Steampowered

A few times this week , i noticed that trenton was overloaded with trains all arriving at the same times. all on track 1 , is track 3 a hassle to use ? It was a parade of trains right after each other. Also the board said track 0 , is that just unassigned ?
 #1354255  by amtrakhogger

Track 3 would be impossible to use since it is a through track with no low level platforms (which would complicate things further, if there were any.) Unless you are talking about the North Low track.
 #1354549  by ExCon90

I think the reference is to the North Low (Track 3 in passenger announcements). I haven't been to Trenton in a while, but as I recall there is no escalator to the low platform, and of course no level boarding. Additionally, if a last-minute track change is necessary involving Track 1 or 2 (aka the South High) it's no hassle for the passengers, who have only to cross to the other side of the platform; a last-minute change from either of those to the (so-called) Track 3 would probably delay the departure to later than it would be if the train simply waited for 1 or 2 to be available. I think the real problem is that Trenton Penn Station, like its big sister in New York, is handling more traffic, and at more concentrated times, than it was designed for. The original plans for the Metroliners envisioned spreading the tracks to provide an island platform between (actual) Tracks 2 and 3, but that never happened. (Imagine trying to do that under traffic.)
 #1355042  by CNJGeep

The North Low has also had a fence placed right in the middle of the platform running lengthwise.
 #1355446  by Steampowered

amtrakhogger wrote:Track 3 would be impossible to use since it is a through track with no low level platforms (which would complicate things further, if there were any.) Unless you are talking about the North Low track.
according to wiki , its the track adjacent to 2 so its 1/2 3. The inner through tracks dont have numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trenton_T ... _Alignment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1355458  by ExCon90

The numbers in Wikipedia are those used in public announcements; the actual track designations used in operations are as follows, from north to south (numbers for public announcements in parentheses):

5 (5)
[platform]
4 (4)
1 (1)
[platform]
South High (2)
North Low (3)
[platform]

The PRR used to do that at North Philadelphia: the Westward Station and No. 4, respectively, were 4 and 3 to the public, and No. 1 and the Eastward Station were announced as 2 and 1, the "real 2 and 3" being in the middle. So if the tower told the station "29 on 4" the announcement would be that the Broadway Limited would be on Track 3.
 #1355510  by eastwind

CNJGeep wrote:The North Low has also had a fence placed right in the middle of the platform running lengthwise.
What, then, is (was) the North Low (3) used for?