Railroad Forums 

• Hurricane Joaquin

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1350902  by TrainPhotos

Before people get too excited, I should point out that this storm is no "sandy". That said, I must ask if NJT planning to move any equipment to stiles street yard in linden or elsewhere not prone to flooding? Are they altering service? Is it too soon to say? From the NWS forecasts, it looks like this may come ashore somewhere between the "delmarva" area and long island if the "eye" ever does come ashore at all. My boss and his boss are canceling all field operations over the weekend and closing the office from tomorrow till tuesday. Anyone else getting similar from their employers? It may not be a "sandy" but I all ready feel a tense atmosphere in the area. A friend of mine who works at verizon (a pole climber) said vacations have been canceled and people on vacation have been recalled as of this morning. NJT doing same? Just curious. Hoping this storm heads out to sea and never gets close to land..

Here are the NWS hurricane center maps and forecast models. They seem to be doing frequent updates per day..

Storm path forecast:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... k#contents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tropical storm force wind probability:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... 0#contents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hurricane force wind probability:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... 0#contents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

50 knot (58 mph) wind probability:
 #1352005  by MACTRAXX

TP:

To be even more specific Joaquin looks to be headed for landfall in the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal) as of 10/8
and looks to be a wind and rainstorm problem for southwestern Europe.

Joaquin turned out to be no threat whatsoever to the North American east coast and as we know last week's nor'easter and
the remnant low spawned by Joaquin that formed and remained mostly stationary over the Carolinas caused many
problems in SC with the record rainfall that resulted.

Last week's nor'easter - with its strong onshore east to west winds - were the cause of flooding and other related
troubles on the Jersey Shore - and the surf was stronger then normal with Joaquin churning up the Atlantic waters.

Joaquin no doubt had the potential to cause major problems - but as we now know was not a factor to northeastern
US weather. As a bit of a weather buff myself, this was a storm that definitely was one to be watched...

MACTRAXX
 #1352085  by TrainPhotos

MACTRAXX wrote:TP:

Joaquin no doubt had the potential to cause major problems - but as we now know was not a factor to northeastern
US weather. As a bit of a weather buff myself, this was a storm that definitely was one to be watched...

Absolutely. My mother had me watching the hurricane center forecast all day till the final forecast of it going out to sea. As bad as sandy and irene were, I have a feeling this would have been somewhere between the two. Probably more winds than irene, and a bit more rain than sandy, with a storm surge somewhere in between as well. From the sandy thread it seems the storage tracks were in fact used. As someone who had no power for 5 days after sandy, It makes me wonder what preparations are being made to protect us from the next inevitable tropical cyclone..
 #1355058  by F40

I've heard some things in the grapevine that part of the reason it took so long to restore power after Sandy was because the power companies were rejecting outside contractor help. Hence, the unionized utility workers can get overtime/premium pay. For certain jobs, I can understand the rationale from the workers side, but for something like this, it seems wrong. It definitely makes me have mixed feelings about certain unions and how much power they can exercise.