Railroad Forums 

• Using M&E Tickets on ACL?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1346009  by Ken S.

jackintosh11 wrote:I have some Summit to NYP tickets, can I use them on the Atlantic City Line? If so, to what station?
Probably not given that the ACL has its own fare structure outside of the one used by the rest of the rail system.
 #1346129  by CNJGeep

jackintosh11 wrote:I have some Summit to NYP tickets, can I use them on the Atlantic City Line? If so, to what station?
Your best bet is to *not* listen to the guy who dumped the Arnines and instead go to customer service. I used a Bay Head-NYP weekly on the ACL with no issues. Conductors do have conversion charts...
 #1346137  by njsteelersfan

I used an Allendale to New Brunswick pass on the acl. I think it depends on from where to where. I could see maybe philly to Hammonton but not philly to ac with a Summit NYP ticket
 #1346503  by jackintosh11

I got a reply from customer service, they said that the tickets are valid from Atlantic City to Pennsauken. They did not say anything about from 30th street, but it looks like they'd be valid to Hammonton. They also said that I could buy an additional ticket from Pennsauken to 30th street and use that with the summit ticket.
 #1346513  by R36 Combine Coach

There are conversion charts for bus zones at njtransit.com, but no rail zone conversion charts (between Newark, Hoboken Divisions and ACL). Rail monthly passes are valid for an "equivalent" zone on interstate/intrastate bus.
 #1355199  by Graeme Salt

This discussion implies that NJT weekly/monthly passes are interchangeable between lines, within equivalent fare zones. Is this correct? So for example, if I bought a weekly pass from Hoboken to Morristown, could I also use it for travel from Hoboken up to a certain distance on other lines? If so, the question of "how far?" is obviously not based on a straight fare comparison, since the weekly pass price for the OP's NY - Summit journey is about 50% more than the equivalent Atlantic City - Pennsauken weekly. Sorry if this is a daft question, but being UK based I have no local knowledge, and haven't been able to find the answer on NJT's website or elsewhere.
 #1355317  by CNJGeep

Graeme Salt wrote:This discussion implies that NJT weekly/monthly passes are interchangeable between lines, within equivalent fare zones. Is this correct? So for example, if I bought a weekly pass from Hoboken to Morristown, could I also use it for travel from Hoboken up to a certain distance on other lines? If so, the question of "how far?" is obviously not based on a straight fare comparison, since the weekly pass price for the OP's NY - Summit journey is about 50% more than the equivalent Atlantic City - Pennsauken weekly. Sorry if this is a daft question, but being UK based I have no local knowledge, and haven't been able to find the answer on NJT's website or elsewhere.
Correct, each passenger schedule carries a zone and fare chart. Your pass is good for an equivalent amount of zones, but not (in your example) from New York or the upper level of Secaucus.
 #1355375  by Graeme Salt

CNJGeep wrote:
Graeme Salt wrote:This discussion implies that NJT weekly/monthly passes are interchangeable between lines, within equivalent fare zones. Is this correct? So for example, if I bought a weekly pass from Hoboken to Morristown, could I also use it for travel from Hoboken up to a certain distance on other lines? If so, the question of "how far?" is obviously not based on a straight fare comparison, since the weekly pass price for the OP's NY - Summit journey is about 50% more than the equivalent Atlantic City - Pennsauken weekly. Sorry if this is a daft question, but being UK based I have no local knowledge, and haven't been able to find the answer on NJT's website or elsewhere.
Correct, each passenger schedule carries a zone and fare chart. Your pass is good for an equivalent amount of zones, but not (in your example) from New York or the upper level of Secaucus.
OK, thanks, that makes sense. Well, up to a point, anyway: having now spotted the zone/fare chart on the timetables, I note that with the exception of the North Jersey Coast, all lines serving Hoboken have the same zone/fare structure up to the 9th zone, after which there is divergence (e.g. a zone 14 weekly is $91.25 on the Main line, but $97.00 on the Morristown.) NJCL is completely different, with zone 9 being priced the same as zone 5 on other lines, etc. So in these cases, presumably interchangeability must be based on equivalent fare paid rather than no. of zones? Otherwise, using a Hoboken - NJCL pass on the other lines would be a good deal!
 #1355417  by CNJGeep

Graeme Salt wrote: OK, thanks, that makes sense. Well, up to a point, anyway: having now spotted the zone/fare chart on the timetables, I note that with the exception of the North Jersey Coast, all lines serving Hoboken have the same zone/fare structure up to the 9th zone, after which there is divergence (e.g. a zone 14 weekly is $91.25 on the Main line, but $97.00 on the Morristown.) NJCL is completely different, with zone 9 being priced the same as zone 5 on other lines, etc. So in these cases, presumably interchangeability must be based on equivalent fare paid rather than no. of zones? Otherwise, using a Hoboken - NJCL pass on the other lines would be a good deal!
The main line has a different fare chart because they share zoning with Metro-North and their fares must be governed accordingly. As far as I'm aware (disclaimer-I do not work there), equivalency is based on zones. Your best bet in this case would be to call or E-Mail customer service.
 #1355468  by Graeme Salt

CNJGeep wrote: The main line has a different fare chart because they share zoning with Metro-North and their fares must be governed accordingly. As far as I'm aware (disclaimer-I do not work there), equivalency is based on zones. Your best bet in this case would be to call or E-Mail customer service.
Thanks again; I'll try customer service then, and I'll post any info they give me on this.
 #1355631  by F40

Yes, check the zones and the fares. You should be able to use the equivalent ones without issue.

I had one instance where I believe the passenger was using a Main Line ticket on the Bergen County Line when getting on at Rutherford. I can't be sure of the situation, but the conversation was something like: ticket collector: "....it will be $2.25. you can use that (ticket) when you go back to Delawanna." Passenger: "I've used this ticket before without any additional fare." After a couple of back and forth, the passenger said sort of light-heartedly: "you cost me a coffee." However, seeing that Delawanna, Rutherford, (and Wood Ridge) are all in the same zone (and fare for that matter), the rider should have been able to use his Delawanna ticket at Rutherford without any issue, if that was the case. If something happens, you can always go to customer service if you feel you have been wronged.
 #1355756  by Graeme Salt

Here's the definitive reply I got from customer service:
Metro-North weekly and monthly rail passes reading between Hoboken and Metro-North stations will be accepted ONLY on the Main/Bergen and Pascack Valley Lines between Hoboken and all NJ TRANSIT stations where the Metro-North fare is the same as or higher than the NJ TRANSIT one-way fare.
Tickets for Intermediate Metro-North Station (between stations within Metro-North Territory) are restricted to/from the stations indicated on the ticket or stations located between the origin and destination station printed on the face of the ticket.
Cross-honoring tickets between all ticket types except student monthly passes and off-peak round trip tickets available on the Main/Bergen/Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines. NY Penn Station tickets are accepted at no additional charge on all trains between NY and all stations where the fare is the same as or lower than the NY Fare and within the same number of zones. When traveling past the fare zone, the applicable extension of journey fee is applied. A passenger may travel between these same stations and Newark Penn Station or Hoboken at no additional charge.
Newark Penn Station tickets are accepted on all trains between Newark Penn, Hoboken and Atlantic City and all stations where the fare and/or zones are less than or the same as the Newark Penn fare.
Hoboken Terminal Tickets are accepted on all Hoboken, Newark Penn and Atlantic City and all stations where the fare and zones are the same as or lowerthan the Hoboken Terminal Fare.
When using a Hoboken or Newark Penn Station ticket to travel to NY Penn Station or through Secaucus Junction, the applicable change in terminal fee is charged. The change in terminal fee is based on the new origin and destination to which the customer is traveling.
That all seems to make sense.
 #1525630  by Graeme Salt

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but does anyone know if NJT weekly passes are still cross-honored between different lines up to the same fare/zone? I ask because whereas the NJT website clearly states this is the case for monthly passes, no such information is given for weeklies so I wondered if the rule might have changed.

Customer services gave a clear answer when I emailed them about this back in 2015 - however having just raised the query again, I received the following reply, which doesn't answer the question:

"We are replying to your feedback of 11/17/2019 regarding subject: Weekly Pass Cross-Honoring.

I respectfully advise weekly passes are unlimited between two rail stations from 12:01 a.m. Saturday through 6:00 a.m. on the following Saturday.

Thank you for contacting NJ TRANSIT."

In October 2018 I had a Hoboken - Sloatsburg weekly and it was accepted without question on the Morris-Essex and Raritan lines, so either cross-honoring was still in effect at that time or the conductors were not aware it was otherwise.