Railroad Forums 

• NJT July 2015 Strike?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1338613  by Fan Railer

http://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/newsflash.asp?id=5734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fair use quote:
It’s unanimous: 100 percent of BLET members vote to strike at NJ Transit

CLEVELAND, July 8 — One hundred percent of voting BLET members working for New Jersey Transit (NJT) have voted in favor of withdrawing from service should the union and the railroad fail to reach an agreement to settle their contract dispute under processes set forth in the Railway Labor Act.

On June 22, the BLET mailed strike ballots to over 400 NJT locomotive engineers. Ballots were counted on July 7 and 100 percent of the ballots cast were in favor of a strike should one become necessary to attain the Organization’s bargaining goals...

...As background, the BLET has been bargaining with NJT for a new contract for locomotive engineers since April 12, 2011. The dispute has been in NMB-sponsored mediation since June 11, 2014. The BLET is currently bargaining in concert with all the other Unions that comprise the New Jersey Transit Rail Labor Coalition, which represents 100 percent of the overall rail union membership on NJT...

...On June 30 the BLET, along with all the other unions in the New Jersey Transit Rail Labor Coalition, filed a request with the NMB for the appointment of a Section 9A Presidential Emergency Board (PEB). Absent action by President Obama on that request, locomotive engineers could walk off the job, or be locked out by NJT, at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Thursday, July 16...
 #1338654  by Steve F45

we were talking about this at work tonight. In the event they strike. Anyone think NJT is going to beg Amtrak to do alot of local stops on the NEC? I mean the other lines will basically be S.O.L., unless they have management that is still qualified on those lines, right?
 #1338674  by philipmartin

In the event of a strike, I wonder if nj Transit Bus will continue operating normally? It carries a lot more people than nj Transit rail. Also, will light rail be affected. They are operated for NJT by independent entities.
 #1338724  by R36 Combine Coach

philipmartin wrote:Also, will light rail be affected. They are operated for NJT by independent entities.
Newark City Subway is operated by the Bus Division as the #7 route, so same unions/operating rules as buses. HBLR and RiverLine are private third party operations under contract.
 #1338768  by TrainPhotos

Steve F45 wrote:we were talking about this at work tonight. In the event they strike. Anyone think NJT is going to beg Amtrak to do alot of local stops on the NEC? I mean the other lines will basically be S.O.L., unless they have management that is still qualified on those lines, right?
Amtrak has scheduled stops at Trenton, Princeton junction, New Brunswick, metropark, airport rail link & Newark penn. From past glances at schedules, most of the stations between Trenton & Newark see sparse service. For the number of passengers together with the capacity of trains, I don't see Amtrak as a viable option unless they had all trains stop at Trenton only. Even then the sheer numbers during peak hour & direction would easily fill one Amtrak train depending on the timing. These men and women work hard to get their trains & the people on them where they need to go safely and reliably. As with the frankford jct derailment, my co-workers would likely rent a big van again & simply carpool. Others may not be so foruinate. Hopefully a strike won't be needed...
 #1338781  by CentralValleyRail

I hope they do strike and wreck havoc on the area. Hopefully the media blasts them (NJ Transit not the engineers) too.

Then maybe someone can go after the corrupt individuals who have run NJ Transit right into the ground.

Give the engineers what they want, they deserve it!
 #1338785  by TrainPhotos

CentralValleyRail wrote:I hope they do strike and wreck havoc on the area. Hopefully the media blasts them (NJ Transit not the engineers) too.

Then maybe someone can go after the corrupt individuals who have run NJ Transit right into the ground.

It is my (lay-person's) perspective that the I-95/US1 (Philly-nyc) corridor economy is far more dependant on NJT than it is LIRR or SEPTA or arguably an MNRR. NJT transports a large number of people -across- NJ from Pennsylvania to New York. There is no real way Amtrak could handle the rider numbers that NJT does if a strike did happen. Their equipment is meant for intercity travel, not commuter operations. Even if a skeleton schedule was implemented, it would be a massive headache, I feel.

We have a few days to see what happens, and frankly I'm personally not concerned, as it affects me minimally. Many others may not be so fortunate...
 #1338905  by Backshophoss

Has NYC started to the"No single occupied motor vehicles into the City" warnings yet?
If BLET strikes,GRIDLOCK on the NJ Turnpike,I-80 and all bridge crossings into the City.
There will be $$$$ IMPACT in the region,and a ripple effect across the country.
 #1338906  by nick11a

Well, maybe then people will notice. Sad that it has to come to this point, but apparently it does.
 #1338911  by Ken S.

Something tells me that Christie won't care if there's a strike and won't do anything until Obama forces his hand.
 #1338930  by philipmartin

The first and last strike I remember being in was in 1968 or 1972, on the Penn Central. The strike lasted one day. I was working at Nave block station in Jersey City, (Nave went in in 1968, as a connection between the Pennsy's P&H branch and the National Docks just before the PC merger took place, and was only manned by a block operator for a few months until a power switch was installed, worked by the dispatcher in Penn Station, NY. So my memory is not exact.) I was sent to Weehawken to pick up a switch key, (which I still have.) On my way there I was wondering if there would be hostility from strikers, but no, there wasn't any hostility.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 0018&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 9324&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1339193  by keyboardkat

CentralValleyRail wrote:I hope they do strike and wreck havoc on the area. Hopefully the media blasts them (NJ Transit not the engineers) too.

And wreck havoc on my livelihood, you S.O.B.? I don't get paid when I don't work, and I've got bills to pay just like everybody else. My job is mission critical and I MUST be there early! You obviously don't give a diddlysquat about how this will affect the livelihoods of people who depend on NJT to get to work.
 #1339210  by DutchRailnut

ohh dear, that is what strikes are for, the last weapon , it would not be a effective weapon if it does not impact anyone, but holding employees hostage for 4 years is asking for it.
Even grandma and grandpa got raises in social security , just because cost of living goes up.
With this strike Governor Christie put himself checkmate, if he does not get contract going he will look like bad governor, and Obama holds the cards with two PEB's he can, but does not have to allow.
other railroads like LIRR and Metro North have gotten substantial raises without work rule changes, a PEB will look at that pattern and order NJT to settle on same terms.

Social security COLA's for last 4 years :
2011 =3.6%
2012 = 1.7%
2013 = 1.5%
2014 = 1.7%

last LIRR PEB : http://utu.org/worksite/PDFs/PEBS/PEB245Report.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;