Railroad Forums 

• Finding PL42 Locos?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1333229  by train2

I have some interest in shooting NJT PL42 diesels and was wondering if there is any pattern to what lines/trains use these units? I see during my visits to north Jersey that the newer dual modes are very numerous. So is there any scheme to shooting these locomotives?
 #1333237  by R36 Combine Coach

All diesel lines (including occasional ACL appearances). Best places are RVL (only diesels to operate with Multilevels, so a GP40-free line) and Main/Bergen Multilevel and single level trains.
 #1333319  by F40

Once in a while (at least a year or more ago), you'll be lucky enough to see a Geep with 4 MLV's. I've heard that they don't run them simply because they can't keep a schedule with them. But 4 MLV's weigh less than 6 single-levels, which in theory, they can certainly pull.
 #1333341  by F-line to Dudley via Park

F40 wrote:Once in a while (at least a year or more ago), you'll be lucky enough to see a Geep with 4 MLV's. I've heard that they don't run them simply because they can't keep a schedule with them. But 4 MLV's weigh less than 6 single-levels, which in theory, they can certainly pull.
That I can believe. It's a little sad to watch the T's 3000 HP old stuff--Geeps or F40's--wheeze into motion trying to haul a 7-pack of stuffed-to-the-gills bi's out of a dead stop at Back Bay or Yawkey stations when the train's at its absolute fullest. The new 4600 HP HSP-46's are a night-and-day difference. But they don't discriminate on fleet assignments. A Geep's as fully capable as anything else at pulling any all- bi-level set that's shorter than a behemoth crush-load set and less overpacked with the weight of human flesh than a behemoth crush-load set.
 #1333673  by ChrisU

The best place to see PL42s would be to hang around lower level Secaucus during rush hour. You would see Main/Bergen trains as well as Pascack Valley trains, all of which use a variety of equipment including PL42s. The Raritan Line is no longer all PL42s since the addition of direct service to New York almost every set uses an ALP-45 and the same goes with Bay Head trains.
 #1333836  by trainbrain

If you're at Secaucus on a day when the Meadowlands line is running, they often use them to haul sets of 8 comets. They're pretty easy to find on the Main and Bergen lines.