Railroad Forums 

• New Schedules on NJT

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1366472  by TDowling

I remember reading an article about Don Bosco making a stink about trains for new York state bound passengers not stopping at rt 17. Indeed no upstate bound trains stop there between 130 and 630. I didn't realize ridership to orange county from Don Bosco was high to begin with much less high enough to warrant the agency to change the schedule to accommodate.
 #1366575  by SecaucusJunction

There are usually about half a dozen kids that boarded the new train during the times I saw it
 #1367462  by jamesinclair

Does NJ Transit have metrics that require increases in service?

IE, if a train is at x capacity, another train will be added to spread the load?
 #1367519  by SwingMan

In the industry in general, you do not usually see a train just added between general notices because it requires having to factor in many things. Where equipment comes from, how the slots have to be dealt with, etc etc. What can be done, although again not often between GN periods, is they can change equipment cycles so certain trains get a certain number of cars, even down to a certain day of the week if it is necessary.

I would think the new schedules should be around the beginning of March for NJT seeing that they have to work with Amtrak and the LIRR on slots, or you can just go back and see when it has been in the past to get a general idea.
 #1367901  by jamesinclair

SwingMan wrote:In the industry in general, you do not usually see a train just added between general notices because it requires having to factor in many things. Where equipment comes from, how the slots have to be dealt with, etc etc. What can be done, although again not often between GN periods, is they can change equipment cycles so certain trains get a certain number of cars, even down to a certain day of the week if it is necessary.

I would think the new schedules should be around the beginning of March for NJT seeing that they have to work with Amtrak and the LIRR on slots, or you can just go back and see when it has been in the past to get a general idea.
No Im not talking about between general notices, but for the next schedule.

For example, if during the 3rd quarter they find that trains b and c are standing room, then during the 4th quarter a train b.5 is added.
 #1367915  by SemperFidelis

Mr. Sinclair, sir,

Example of NJ Transit metric follows:

If train A takes X time to reach destination and automobile, bus, bicycle, or hitchhiking also takes X, then the train service is operating too fast. Service must be adjusted.

To meet NJ Transit standards, adjusted service should read: train A takes X+1 (or greater than 1) to reach destination.

I suppose more simply put: If X = travel time in automobile, then rail service should be X + (1 or greater).

My math teachers would be so proud.

Sorry, NJ Transit isn't on my happy list since eliminating weekend fares.
 #1371698  by TDowling

That's news to me. What fares did they eliminate for the weekends ? Surely not the family supersavers?....