Railroad Forums 

• New Schedules on NJT

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1354986  by SecaucusJunction

CentralValleyRail wrote:Per Point to Point Schedules it appears as if the Timetables will change on Nov 8th...

Did a search from SEC to R17 and the new train pops up in the point to point after this date but not before...

Someone in their infinite wisdom marked the train with "Receive Passengers Only" marking on the schedule for Rt 17 station. How that makes sense to anyone is beyond me.
 #1355020  by srock1028

SecaucusJunction wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:Per Point to Point Schedules it appears as if the Timetables will change on Nov 8th...

Did a search from SEC to R17 and the new train pops up in the point to point after this date but not before...

Someone in their infinite wisdom marked the train with "Receive Passengers Only" marking on the schedule for Rt 17 station. How that makes sense to anyone is beyond me.
Maybe it has to do with the cost contract Metro-North has with NJT for trains on the Port Jervis line...
 #1355021  by srock1028

expresstrain wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:.

The train in the 1:19 AM time slot out of New York Penn on the Morris and Essex still runs on Weekends but was eliminated on weekdays
Does this mean it runs Friday and Saturday nights (or more accurately, early Saturday AM and early Sunday AM), or that it runs only after Saturday nights and after Sunday nights (Sun AM and Mon AM)?
This means it runs early Sunday AM and early Monday AM.
 #1355025  by expresstrain

srock1028 wrote:
expresstrain wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:.

The train in the 1:19 AM time slot out of New York Penn on the Morris and Essex still runs on Weekends but was eliminated on weekdays
Does this mean it runs Friday and Saturday nights (or more accurately, early Saturday AM and early Sunday AM), or that it runs only after Saturday nights and after Sunday nights (Sun AM and Mon AM)?
This means it runs early Sunday AM and early Monday AM.
Thank you for that answer. Wow, that seems really crazy, if it's a cost issue to run the 1:19 AM train, why remove it from the schedule for riders who want to stay in the city late Friday night (lots of people) but then pay to run the train for riders who are staying in the city that late on a Sunday night (not many people). Wouldn't it be cost-neutral to move the Sunday night run to Friday night?
 #1355026  by EuroStar

CentralValleyRail wrote: ... The stop is to RECEIVE passengers only! ...
Can someone explain to me how that is enforced? If one got on the train at Hoboken would they force him/her out at Secaucus? What if one got on at Secaucus?

I realize that there is the danger of the train not stopping at Rt.17 if there are no passengers visible to the engineer on the platform at Rt. 17, but I thought this was not the mode of operation accepted by NJT (last place where I experienced it was MBTA years ago).
 #1355030  by EuroStar

expresstrain wrote: Thank you for that answer. Wow, that seems really crazy, if it's a cost issue to run the 1:19 AM train, why remove it from the schedule for riders who want to stay in the city late Friday night (lots of people) but then pay to run the train for riders who are staying in the city that late on a Sunday night (not many people). Wouldn't it be cost-neutral to move the Sunday night run to Friday night?
That was exactly my thought. I guess I will need to stay late at Secaucus one Friday night and observe how this operates. I have my doubts -- I thought that when they cancelled the last train on the Pascack Valley line someone told me that they kept the weekend ones and that that meant train Friday and Saturday nights (but not Sunday).
 #1355041  by CNJGeep

EuroStar wrote:Can someone explain to me how that is enforced? If one got on the train at Hoboken would they force him/her out at Secaucus? What if one got on at Secaucus?

I realize that there is the danger of the train not stopping at Rt.17 if there are no passengers visible to the engineer on the platform at Rt. 17, but I thought this was not the mode of operation accepted by NJT (last place where I experienced it was MBTA years ago).
I have witnessed on Metro-North the conductors charging the rider to the next station. A good example of this would be Fordham. Many trains are receive only heading outbound. If someone gets on a New Haven train with a Fordham ticket at GCT or 125, the conductor charges them an extension to the next stop. Not sure if transit will be doing the same thing.
 #1355047  by speedbird

CNJGeep wrote:
EuroStar wrote:Can someone explain to me how that is enforced?
I have witnessed on Metro-North the conductors charging the rider to the next station. A good example of this would be Fordham. Many trains are receive only heading outbound. If someone gets on a New Haven train with a Fordham ticket at GCT or 125, the conductor charges them an extension to the next stop. Not sure if transit will be doing the same thing.
This is how it works on Amtrak as well; an example would be taking a westbound LD train with a ticket to Alexandria, then getting off instead at DC.

This instance of an R stop on 49/99 is perhaps the only such Receive-only stop on NJT? In any case, the fare from Hoboken to Route 17 is the same as to Suffern, and a small step-up versus the fare from NYP.
 #1355060  by EuroStar

CNJGeep wrote:I have witnessed on Metro-North the conductors charging the rider to the next station. A good example of this would be Fordham. Many trains are receive only heading outbound. If someone gets on a New Haven train with a Fordham ticket at GCT or 125, the conductor charges them an extension to the next stop. Not sure if transit will be doing the same thing.
That is the theory. How exactly do you deal with a passenger who does not cooperate (I am not encouraging such behaviour! Please, respect all railroad personnel!)? Stop the train at an earlier unscheduled stop? Hold the train until the cops show up, so delaying it 20-30 minutes? Either way, looks bad to me. What I smell here is that NJTransit made Metro-North pay fully for the train. If the train discharged passengers at Rt. 17, NJTransit probably would have needed to split some of the costs and because of that Metro-North said that it is to receive passengers only. I wonder whether that would be enforced -- this is not Fordham which has been that way for many many decades, not it is Amtrak which is concerned with having seats available for the passengers outside of the NEC.

That begs the next question -- how many people are actually travelling from Rt.17 north towards NY state at that time of the day? The station is not that close to any employer of significance for people to walk to it. What is the point of the stop in this case?
 #1355066  by SecaucusJunction

It's one of the most ridiculous things on the schedule. I'm guessing it won't be enforced but why punish riders who would get off at the station when the train has to stop there anyway.

School kids from Don Bosco board the train there every day to go west.
 #1355085  by srock1028

SecaucusJunction wrote:School kids from Don Bosco board the train there every day to go west.
What you say above plus what I said earlier about the cost contract Metro-North has with NJT and you pretty much answered your question. Also, read with EuroStar said about Metro-North and NJT...I'm not willing to go into any more detail besides that. It was done for a reason, three parties are pleased with the stop and how its coded, thats how it is going to be.
 #1355522  by mohawkrailfan

philipmartin wrote:Here's a link to the schedules. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet. ... on=TrainTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there a document listing the changes?

Eyeballing the two schedules side by side, the last Morristown Line train leaves NYP 22 minutes later on Friday nights. That's nice. Some trains seem to have the same scheduled but be listed in a different order. Like 6437 and 467. That's just a cosmetic issue but I guess the new ordering makes more sense.

They appear to be adding some new weekend trains from Hoboken on the M&E lines (900-series).
 #1355537  by waldwickrailfan

mohawkrailfan wrote:
philipmartin wrote:Here's a link to the schedules. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet. ... on=TrainTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there a document listing the changes?

Eyeballing the two schedules side by side, the last Morristown Line train leaves NYP 22 minutes later on Friday nights. That's nice. Some trains seem to have the same scheduled but be listed in a different order. Like 6437 and 467. That's just a cosmetic issue but I guess the new ordering makes more sense.

They appear to be adding some new weekend trains from Hoboken on the M&E lines (900-series).
Those are for holidays only. They run for those holidays every year. A few years ago, they had a regular Dover-Hoboken weekend train that ran in the morning. Ran under the 9xx series