Railroad Forums 

• NJT Mandated to Spend Money on "Art"

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1321151  by philipmartin

According to this article, Transit is required to spend $240,000.00 on "art" in the $17M rehabilitation of a bus garage in Paterson. Transit has an $80M budget shortfall, and is talking about raising fares, the state is being urged to raise gas taxes, and there goes 240,000 bucks.
Below is a sample of NJT "art" in Bayonne. I'm sure the light rail riders will feel happier after looking at that, as they pay their higher fares.
http://www.northjersey.com/misc-pages/s ... s%20garage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1321239  by Hawaiitiki

philipmartin wrote:According to this article, Transit is required to spend $240,000.00 on "art" in the $17M rehabilitation of a bus garage in Paterson. Transit has an $80M budget shortfall, and is talking about raising fares, the state is being urged to raise gas taxes, and there goes 240,000 bucks.
Below is a sample of NJT "art" in Bayonne. I'm sure the light rail riders will feel happier after looking at that, as they pay their higher fares.
http://www.northjersey.com/misc-pages/s ... s%20garage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crappy concrete pedestal really brings that piece together.
 #1321316  by Tadman

Absolutely nuts. It's like when Chicago spent big bucks on the occasional station at Comiskey. Somehow the Rock had reasonable service on that line with tiny who-cares depots, and now that the gov't is running the show, we have to build Taj Mahal stations everywhere.
 #1321350  by The EGE

240k / 17M is 1.4%. That's one 70th of the cost of this. Things like public art, while they don't directly contribute to functionality, are the difference between only having bus shelters and Amshacks, and having a transit system that people actually want to use. The garage is an eyesore right now; a bit of public art would be a nice addition.

If you want to be angry about NJT, there a lot of much bigger ticket items to be worried about.
 #1321365  by philipmartin

The EGE wrote: Things like public art, while they don't directly contribute to functionality, are the difference between only having bus shelters and Amshacks, and having a transit system that people actually want to use. The garage is an eyesore right now; a bit of public art would be a nice addition.

If you wantge to be angry about NJT, there a lot of much bigger ticket items to be worried about.
I doubt that the new garaage will be an eyesore, unless the added art makes it one. I'm not angry about NJT; i depend on it for my livelihood, only the waste of money on bad art.
 #1321382  by Backshophoss

In most civic(public) funded projects,there's a line item for "public art",requiring 1% of the total budget to
be spent on art for that project, NJT must follow that ,since they use Taxpayer $$$ to fund building that garage,
the Judge must have been shown eveidence that the $200.000.00 art piece was not enough in court. :wink:
 #1321644  by Defiant

I think this is a good idea. Public ART is good for everyone as it often improves people's mood and makes spaces more attractive. It is worse spending very limited amounts of money on it.
 #1321689  by philipmartin

Defiant wrote:I think this is a good idea. Public ART is good for everyone as it often improves people's mood and makes spaces more attractive. It is worse spending very limited amounts of money on it.
You don't differentiate between good art and bad art. Very often the latter is what we get in the public arena. I doubt that it causes mood changes, except to disgust people.
 #1321720  by deathtopumpkins

philipmartin wrote:
Defiant wrote:I think this is a good idea. Public ART is good for everyone as it often improves people's mood and makes spaces more attractive. It is worse spending very limited amounts of money on it.
You don't differentiate between good art and bad art. Very often the latter is what we get in the public arena. I doubt that it causes mood changes, except to disgust people.
Art is subjective. What you consider "bad art" might be considered a masterpiece by others.
 #1321752  by Defiant

philipmartin wrote:I don't believe anyone could really like bad art- modern art, or that thing at the top of this thread.
Well, I like it. It looks interesting and unusual. We are lucky you are not an art critic for NJT. You seem to have very strong opinions about what people should or should not like.
 #1321803  by amtrakowitz

The EGE wrote:240k / 17M is 1.4%. That's one 70th of the cost of this. Things like public art, while they don't directly contribute to functionality, are the difference between only having bus shelters and Amshacks, and having a transit system that people actually want to use. The garage is an eyesore right now; a bit of public art would be a nice addition.

If you want to be angry about NJT, there a lot of much bigger ticket items to be worried about.
Hair splitting. Why should a bus garage rehab cost $17 million to begin with?
 #1321857  by philipmartin

talltim wrote:I like it (although not the base)
I suspect you would approve of this at my local station more
George Stephenson Profile by Non Paratus, on Flickr
Although the base is very similar :-D
It's very good; it's realistic. As a rail fan, it has special interest for me, including the model of an early locomotive he is holding. Even the wheel he is standing on is ok, it's flanged.
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1321861  by philipmartin

Defiant wrote: You seem to have very strong opinions about what people should or should not like.
. No. Just what's good and bad. Actually, I've seen some art on Transit that I like. But the idea that it is going to make people's ride more pleasant is nonsense. All people care about is being transported, comfortably, if possible.