Railroad Forums 

• Elizabeth Station Redesign

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1312440  by nomis

$55 million redesign, two-story building planned for Elizabeth NJ Transit station
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/ ... ation.html
A total of $55 million in state and federal money will fund the construction of a new two-story building and train platforms at the city's midtown NJ Transit Station, a project officials hailed today as an economic driver.

Preliminary designs of the West Grand Street station, expected to be completed in 2018, include a two-story station building with a street-level ticket office, waiting room and vendor space.

New, longer platforms will be constructed with covered, climate-controlled waiting areas. Elevators to the platform will be renovated, with additional elevators and stairways also planned.

An average of 7,526 passengers travel through Elizabeth Station on weekdays [...].
 #1312595  by JCGUY

Great photo, thanks. Some of the related press has noted a key point: the design will take into account a future 5th track north of Elmora.
 #1312615  by BigDell

I don't know how directly or indirectly this will affect the old CNJ station downstairs, but I hope they leave the CNJ station and the old ROW alone. Granted there is a forest there now on the old mainline and part is paved over, but I hope there isn't any permanent structure preventing any potential ROW access under the arch. Even if they put in a bus line or light rail "SOMEDAY", it'd be nice to see what was the CNJ still intact after.
 #1312966  by amtrakowitz

More monuments to politicians instead of worrying about the infrastructure the trains run on. And the trains' average speed is still 10 mph slower than in the recent past. Unlikely a fifth track will appear, as much as it's touted.
 #1312969  by amtrakowitz

BigDell wrote:I don't know how directly or indirectly this will affect the old CNJ station downstairs, but I hope they leave the CNJ station and the old ROW alone. Granted there is a forest there now on the old mainline and part is paved over, but I hope there isn't any permanent structure preventing any potential ROW access under the arch. Even if they put in a bus line or light rail "SOMEDAY", it'd be nice to see what was the CNJ still intact after.
NJT cares little for that railroad. There is already significant encroachment at the former Elmora station, with the Actavis pharmaceutical plant having paved over the four-track and platform area with a parking lot.
 #1313075  by CLamb

As far as I can tell the article is wrong. The new station has been announced but not yet unveiled. I haven't yet been able to find the plans publicly available anywhere. Have any of you stumbled across these plans?
 #1313158  by pumpers

The drawings are on the NJ.com site link from the first post.
$55M. Wow, these stations aren't cheap. On the other hand, that is $1 for each time a passenger goes through the station for the next 20 years, which might not sound too bad.
JS
 #1315670  by Don31

Steve F45 wrote:I remember a few years back they were talking about tearing down the parking deck for this work. is this still supposed to happen or is the parking deck staying put?
The parking deck will stay put.
 #1316351  by NJTRailfan

I really wish NJT would reconsider and put the light rail in here and resurrect the Newark-Elizabeth Lightrail via Newark Airport. Not only would the ex CNJ come back but you're not relying on only heavy rail incase theres a delay or suspension of service. Plus it would be nice to see ex CNJ Elizabeth Station comeback as a train station. Add to that a redesigned plaza to accommodate the crowds, buses, taxis and light rail.
 #1317106  by kilroy

Sorry, as a tax payer I don't see the benefit of having multiple forms of mass transit doing the same ting. We have heavy rail and bus; that's enough.
 #1317240  by BigDell

Regarding the lightrail through Elizabeth - I think I posted on it years ago on another thread - it'd bring back a lot of fiscal vitality to financially borderline areas like E'port ... because face it, people want to live by the water and giving them convenient rail or ferry service is big, as my friends in Bayonne now attest to. Plus the rail/monorail to EWR is fine but light rail directly into the airport would be better (IMVHO...). I totally and completely admit to having strong pro-CNJ bias and would love to see a connection from Cranford all the way through - so yes there is a little foaming there.... ;-) But I don't think it's an unreasonable thought.
Anyway, does anyone have the status of the current station project? Is it for reals?
 #1317317  by ccutler

A reconstituted CNJ line to Elizabeth could connect to express ferries to take passengers downtown. Elizabeth would be a key transfer station and NJ could save $10bn by not having to build an ill-conceived tunnel to Macy's. But I doubt anyone in NJ Transit would ever want to do that!
 #1317321  by Roadgeek Adam

ccutler wrote:A reconstituted CNJ line to Elizabeth could connect to express ferries to take passengers downtown. Elizabeth would be a key transfer station and NJ could save $10bn by not having to build an ill-conceived tunnel to Macy's. But I doubt anyone in NJ Transit would ever want to do that!
Any hopes of passenger service on any CNJ line that isn't already in use is a pipe dream. I fail to understand at this point what profit there is in service from Cranford-Elizabeth that people like myself can't just do the old Lehigh via Newark. There are buses on NJ 28, it's not exactly the most urgent need.

I'd rather put more money into making the new Elizabeth station, which is in desperate need of renovation from end to end. (I will note having passed North Elizabeth and Elizabeth, it appears N. Elizabeth got brand new signage, but so far that's about it. Hopefully sign to come of more fixes to the station.)