Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1468638  by joeycannoli

David wrote:Isn't there ANYWHERE they can work on this project during this bat love fest?
Yes, there are a bunch of tasks I think can be done during the bat mating season. Roseville tunnel restoration seems to be the biggest opportunity along with the culvert work at Hudson Farms. They can also work on the grade crossing at Route 602. I doubt any work can be done at the station though, since that would require clearing of trees.
 #1468645  by R&DB

So let me see, the bats only roost in trees and bushes along abandoned RR RoW's? Exceptions to endangered species laws have been given before, why not for this?
 #1468647  by cjvrr

R&DB wrote:So let me see, the bats only roost in trees and bushes along abandoned RR RoW's? Exceptions to endangered species laws have been given before, why not for this?
This is a statewide ban. I deal with it on road and bridge construction projects. The only way to get past the restriction is to have a bat expert look at each individual tree at dusk. If deemed bat free, the tree must be removed within 24 hours of inspection.

Its not worth the hassle when removing hundreds of trees.

As someone else stated by the time a bid package is drafted, advertised, bid and awarded it will be fall (if not later) and work can progress without the bat restriction being a problem.
 #1468922  by lensovet

ryanov wrote:You folks really want them to further endanger an endangered species to build some railroad slightly more quickly? What is wrong with you?
ditto

take a wild guess why the species is endangered in the first place.
 #1468963  by Roadgeek Adam

ryanov wrote:You folks really want them to further endanger an endangered species to build some railroad slightly more quickly? What is wrong with you?
Come on, man. You don't like ruining the lives of bats for a 7.3 mi minimum operating segment? :P
 #1468974  by Matt Johnson

SecaucusJunction wrote:A rail line that probably no one here will use on a regular basis. :(
There was a time when a Scranton to Hoboken link would've been of some use to me, or even a Stroudsburg - Hoboken rail link. Andover, yeah, basically no impact on my life.
 #1469253  by kilroy

True but one benefits an animal most hate while the other benefits well connected consulting firms. Remember, it cost alot to but a NJ politician.