Railroad Forums 

• Writing a Novel & Want to Get Details Right--Help

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1248964  by Holly

Hi, I’m writing a novel where my hero (a kid) has to get from South Amboy to Red Bank, and I’d really appreciate help from the railfan brain trust.

So, you might figure that my hero can just get on a NJ Transit train. Done—the end! Except… he can’t just hop on a commuter train because he’s being chased by bad guys who are looking out for him at the stations. I had two thoughts about how to get him to where he needs to go: (1) somehow get on a geometry/inspection train on that North Coast Jersey Line, or (2) somehow get on a freight train using that line (I believe CSAO has trackage rights with NJ Transit on the North Coast line). I don't know much about either type of train.

My parameters are that it would have to be at night (so I need a train that runs late), the train would have to slow down enough for him to get on between stations somewhere, and he would have to be able to hide successfully on the train from any personnel.

Questions:
1. Could a geometry/inspection train or a freight train fulfill my parameters? If not, why not?
2. Even if neither does, let’s say for the sake of the story, he can get on one of them. How often do geometry trains run, and how are they staffed?
3. How often do freight trains run on the North Coast line, and where can I find a schedule?
4. What sort of security could he expect to run into in this scenario?

Thanks so much for any comments/suggestions you have. These fora are a great resource!
Holly
 #1249154  by nick11a

Interesting premise. I'll see if I can help.

1. Track Geometry Vehicle- No. These almost always run only at day time. Additionally, there is really no way your here could jump on and hide without being noticed by the crew. It is essentially a huge, decked out caravan on train wheels. A freight train would be your best bet: the train from Browns Yard enters the NJCL at South Amboy and heads down to the Southern Secondary which connects to the NJCL at Red Bank. The only problem is that the trips for this train south/west to Red Bank almost always happens during mid-day. The day for it heading down to Red Bank is a Thursday usually I believe (although, I could be mistaken.)
2. Geometry train runs something like once a month at most on each line (totally a guess based on my observations.) A freight train runs once a week and a freight train is more likely to run at night if necessary than a track geometry vehicle.
3. Answered already. Once a week. Schedule is usually a Thursday (I think) any time during the day. TGIV (Track Geometry Inspection Vehicle) has no fixed publicly known schedule.
4. Security: TGIV: the train crew would notice. Freight Train: The train crew. If it is a short freight train, there would be little chance of getting away. The longer, the easier. Additionally, people observing the train would also act as security.
 #1249302  by Holly

Nick, thanks so much! I really appreciate your response. Sounds like a freight train is more plausible (in my fictionalized world, of course). Would there be any way my hero could slow the freight train down enough to hop on board? Are there stretches of track where a freight train might travel more slowly?

On the TGIV angle: Someone suggested to me that if the hero were to toss a branch on the catenary, a TGIV might be sent out to check the area. (Maybe he meant a different type of inspection vehicle.) How does that jive with your spidey-story-sense? There are unmanned TGIVs as well, right? Who is typically on a crew of a TGIV? One engineer?

Really, really grateful for your sharing of knowledge!
 #1249409  by CNJGeep

No, no unmanned inspection vehicles. NJT doesn't have drone trains ;). As for your hero jumping on a freight train, maybe you could set it up for a ballast train creeping by where he gets on. He could always dive into a ballast hopper. If the train was long enough, I don't think the crew has eyes glued backwards, especially on the engineer's side...
 #1249414  by Holly

Thanks, CNJGeep! For some reason I thought there were automated inspection trains. Drone trains--ha! Love it.

Does a ballast hopper would go down the tracks slowly because it is discharging track ballast along the stretches of track that need repair? Does it speed up between those repair areas?

Also, what would the crew of a ballast hopper consist of? Would they work during the day or night?

Thanks so much--this forum is awesome.
 #1249423  by ThirdRail7

No one is diving into a ballast hopper with 12,000+ volts hovering overhead. I'd go with the original premise of catching the freight train at South Amboy and joy riding to Red Bank. It is not uncommon for that freight train to have an engine at both ends. The crew would be on the lead unit...not the trailing unit.

Assuming the cab on the trailing unit isn't locked (and since you're writing the story, you can control this aspect) the hero can slip aboard the rear engine of the slow moving freight. When the train diverts down the Southern Secondary at Red Bank, it is probably operating at restricted speed. At best, it is diverging at Slow Speed. It wouldn't take much for a person to jump on or off at the rate of speed.

In books and movies, of course! :wink:
 #1249434  by Holly

ThirdRail7, thanks! Great to know that the freight train might believably be slow enough at Red Bank to jump off. Exactly the type of info I was looking for!

Wondering how the hero can ensure the train is moving slow enough at South Amboy to jump on… If he monkeyed around with the Raritan Bay Swing Bridge and caused the train to stop before crossing the river, maybe? Do freight trains generally go slow coming off that bridge?
 #1249442  by ThirdRail7

If my memory serves, freights that come from the bridge, don't serve the Southern Secondary directly. They divert at "Essay (SA) at the end of the bridge and head to Browns Yard in Sayreville. From there, the train is broken up and the train that feeds the Southern Secondary originates at Browns.

As such, the train would head back to South Amboy, and access the NJCL head west utilizing the Church Running Track. This is a hand thrown switch, so the train would have to stop, occupy a circuit, get permission for the dispatcher to throw the switch, open the switch, let the train pass over the switch, and throw it back for the main. At this point, the person who threw the switch would likely walk up to the lead unit and report locked and lined normal to the NJCL dispatcher.

As the crew member climbs on the the lead unit, this would be a good time for your character to hop on the trailing unit.
 #1249527  by Holly

Wow, ThirdRail7, that is fantastic. Can't believe how perfectly that works out for my protagonist! Thank you so much!

Could you venture a guess as to how many cars are typically on a freight train on this route, and what they might be carrying? (You know, since I'm badgering forum readers anyway.)
 #1249625  by CNJGeep

Holly wrote:7, that is fantastic. Can't believe how perfectly that works out for my protagonist! Thank you so much!
Could you venture a guess as to how many cars are typically on a freight train on this route, and what they might be carrying? (You know, since I'm badgering forum readers anyway.)
The SA-31 (the usual symbol for the freight) is generally an engine and between 3-9 cars. Mostly lumber cars and boxcars. A quick YouTube search for "SA31" will probably turn up numerous videos of the train, since there's usually a gaggle of buffs out to watch it
I'm on mobile and having some trouble pasting line, or else I would put one up.
 #1249659  by Holly

CNJGeep, thanks so much for the info and the link! I have a much, much better understanding now of how to describe the scene.

R&DB, that's a good idea. The lumber cars don't look to have much hiding space in them!

Can I just say: railfans rock? :-D
 #1250206  by GSC

Normally, the empty gondolas heading to Brick Recycling at Collingwood would be at the end of the train heading to Red Bank and the Southern. There had been three cars at one time going there in the last few weeks, and since they are on the end,to be delivered on the return trip due to the way the switch faces, it makes it that much easier to hop aboard.

BTW, I'm published and I do editing and proofing, should you need that with your novel. PM me for contact info.

Gary
 #1250285  by nick11a

Holly wrote:CNJGeep, thanks so much for the info and the link! I have a much, much better understanding now of how to describe the scene.

R&DB, that's a good idea. The lumber cars don't look to have much hiding space in them!

Can I just say: railfans rock? :-D
You may.