Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1430555  by EuroStar

Asphalt is in, as are the light posts. I expect ribbon cutting for the parking lot some time soon.
 #1432873  by EuroStar

Parking lot looks complete, but is still barricated by cones and barrels. If I had to guess, they are waiting for inspections and then official ribbon cutting. Most if not all heavy equipment is gone.
 #1432874  by EuroStar

There is renewed activity in the former dairy property across the tracks from the station. Some service buildings have been demolished. About an year ago the former 4H building which had been abandoned for a long time was also demolished. I wonder if the property is being considered for redevelopment. If that were the case, hopefully the developer would be willing to pay to make the station accessible from Wallington. Now that the station exists connecting it to the other side cannot be that expensive even with the required elevator.

Interestingly enough something seems to have been planted in the graded area just across the station.
 #1441333  by Roadgeek Adam

TDowling wrote:How is the ridership at this station?
When I was there in March, a rush hour train had quite a deboarding. Probably 25, 30. (early rush hour)
 #1441506  by CentralValleyRail

TDowling wrote:How is the ridership at this station?
The apartments aren't selling anywhere near where they thought they would. Prices have come down in the 15-20% range. I wouldn't ever touch anything Avalon, paperthin and just waiting to go up in smoke
 #1444866  by maddalab

As a resident at Wesmont (not Avalon), the townhouse construction alongside who takes the train, based on the parking lot use about 50%, bicycle use and people walking which is the majority of the folks in Pulte and Somerset development, I think the train station has decent ridership. I don't see a lot of people get off the train and head off in a direction other than Avalon, Pulte and Somerset. It may be because riders from other nearby areas have a set commute by bus and there haven't switched. My best guess is that traffic is at 20-25% of Rutherford and ~300-350 commuters a day.
 #1444923  by EuroStar

maddalab wrote:As a resident at Wesmont (not Avalon), the townhouse construction alongside who takes the train, based on the parking lot use about 50%, bicycle use and people walking which is the majority of the folks in Pulte and Somerset development, I think the train station has decent ridership. I don't see a lot of people get off the train and head off in a direction other than Avalon, Pulte and Somerset. It may be because riders from other nearby areas have a set commute by bus and there haven't switched. My best guess is that traffic is at 20-25% of Rutherford and ~300-350 commuters a day.
Thanks for the estimate. Very much appreciated.