Railroad Forums 

• Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1229027  by mrsam

The web site link given earlier in this thread was http://198.177.3.211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The real name for this web site is http://gps_test.njtransit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1229333  by 25Hz

loufah wrote:Can they implement drag-and-drop? Would help a lot when trains are running late. :-)
"Caution, train approaching, stand behind yellow line" i don't think would suffice in that case..... o.o!

And wow, i mean i've looked at schedules before obviously, but yea, the NEC has the single most amount of trains by a large margin., there is always at least 4-5 trains, and often one more eastbound that has not pulled into trenton yet....
 #1229508  by pumpers

Is there anything like this for Amtrak on the NEC? Well, I guess I should say is there anything like this for Amtrak that is publicly accessible . JS
 #1229513  by nomis

pumpers wrote:Is there anything like this for Amtrak on the NEC? Well, I guess I should say is there anything like this for Amtrak that is publicly accessible . JS
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amtrak+real+time+t ... oogle+maps

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 6&t=152825
 #1229745  by JoeG

The Amtrak version is public. Just below the login panel on the home page, click on the Track a Train image. The NJT version is actually more real-time, but the Amtrak version shows the train's speed.
 #1229834  by pumpers

JoeG wrote:The Amtrak version is public. Just below the login panel on the home page, click on the Track a Train image. The NJT version is actually more real-time, but the Amtrak version shows the train's speed.
Hey, this is great. Now what we need is a hacker to combine NJT and Amtrak onto one map, and then if the tracking system somehow could show each track, I could see what I am stuck behind when I am on NJT on the NEC crawling along because the dispatcher gave priority to someone else. :wink: JS
 #1229867  by CentralValleyRail

pumpers wrote:
JoeG wrote:The Amtrak version is public. Just below the login panel on the home page, click on the Track a Train image. The NJT version is actually more real-time, but the Amtrak version shows the train's speed.
Hey, this is great. Now what we need is a hacker to combine NJT and Amtrak onto one map, and then if the tracking system somehow could show each track, I could see what I am stuck behind when I am on NJT on the NEC crawling along because the dispatcher gave priority to someone else. :wink: JS
Would definitely be neat to see, something else useful would be what track the train is on.

Frequently at night the Inbound Bergen County Line trains like 1 or 2 of them will use the outbound track because of the freight serving the Nabisco area in Fair Lawn. NJT never has anything on their website about possible track change but maybe Departure Vision does. Would still be cool to see that.
 #1229902  by ApproachMedium

This seems cool, since most NJT trains do have some kind of GPS module in them for the destination signs. However it looks like the only locos that are reporting back are ALP45/46 and PL42 powered trains. Only the mutlilevel cab cars have cell service that can report back to home as far as cars go. None of the single level cars including the Arrows have anything like that on board. The Comet Vs were supposed to but I dont think it ever worked.

I may be wrong about how they are doing this reporting but thats what makes sense, and is how Amtrak is doing it. The WiFi system in the coaches reports back GPS location and speed etc comes from the Locomotives via WiTronix.
 #1230049  by ApproachMedium

I am sure it will be back amtrak did it so you know they want to try and one up them, or at least keep up with the times. Its the latest thing now. I laugh though because Tri Rail has been doing this for quite a number of years now.
 #1230079  by CentralValleyRail

ApproachMedium wrote:I am sure it will be back amtrak did it so you know they want to try and one up them, or at least keep up with the times. Its the latest thing now. I laugh though because Tri Rail has been doing this for quite a number of years now.
Gotta laugh with you as well.

I actually rode Tri-Rail in August taking a day-trip from Fort Lauderdale to Miami for a Marlins game. It was a Sunday Morning and the train was( I kid you not) standing room only and it wasn't like there were many Marlins fans on the train. I counted maybe 15. The train was 25-30 minutes late into FLL and at least 40-45 into MIA. I wonder how popular their weekday service is...

MARC and VRE have been doing it for at least 5 years if not more.