Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1230668  by blockline4180

I just spoke to an engineer who knows people in mechanical who stated that NJT is still very short of power, even with the few recently repaired ALP45's. He also said that the remaining CNJ Geeps that are currently in passenger will not be sold, and will be needed through most of next year.
 #1230924  by OportRailfan

I think you mean a GP40-FH, the 4139. Look earlier in the thread. It had some failure and they swapped it for the 4124.
 #1231792  by airman00

Well the 4120 lives on! I've seen it twice, yesterday and today on the PVL. I think, but not certain, yesterday it was on an express train. Are they fast on express trains?
 #1231797  by ACeInTheHole

airman00 wrote:Well the 4120 lives on! I've seen it twice, yesterday and today on the PVL. I think, but not certain, yesterday it was on an express train. Are they fast on express trains?
More like is IT fast on express trains.. With 4124 covering the aqua train.. It is the last man standing regarding NJT F40s in revenue service.
 #1231806  by ACeInTheHole

waldwickrailfan wrote:Just took 4124 on 187x out of Secaucus to Waldwick, ran smoothly and on time
Ah. Wasnt aware they flipped it.
 #1234076  by airman00

I saw the 4120 on the PVL again today, so it appears the remaining f40's are going to hang on for a while longer.
 #1234526  by ACeInTheHole

ns3010 wrote:I don't believe that is the case. When the time comes true dual mode service (meaning RVL, NJCL to BH, and MD beyond Dover and MSU, whenever all that would actually happen), the service should be able to be provided using everything that isn't getting retired. If the schedules are planned efficiently and are actually carried out as planned, there will be enough equipment available. If they are able to keep all of this stuff OOS right now, that means they are not experiencing/expecting an equipment shortage any time soon.
NJT also still has a massive chunk of the dual mode options left on the table as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see them pick a couple up once the Sandy damaged stuff is straightened out.
 #1234577  by 25Hz

I have a feeling the F40's will be around for another year or 2 barring significant failure/incident. The FH's are living on borrowed time (and i believe were schedule for retirement in 2009?) by comparison.

The crux of the shortage issue is HEP units inspected and good to go vs trains per day. Not only do you have the storm damaged stuff, but you feel more of the day to day "bad order" flux with just a few less locos to go around. Thankfully schedules are all most back to pre-storm systemwide....

As to what happens once all damaged stuff is repaired..... that's the real question isn't it?
 #1234698  by airman00

Today I saw 4124 on the PVL. Maybe the 2 F40's have a temporary home on the PVL?
 #1235145  by nick11a

beanbag wrote:Yep. That regulation change is what ultimately cost 4112 its P5.
Oh yeah, sure... that was the reason. :-)
 #1242610  by airman00

Well I finally caught one of the F40's on an express. I saw 4124 pushing on an express headed to Hoboken, passing through the Westwood station. Truth be told it did seem just a tad bit slower than when I've seen a geep on an express. So perhaps the remaining F40's are starting to get a little tired?
 #1242956  by blockline4180

That last NJT F40 will probably be retired when the next 92 day inspection is due... I wouldn't expect it making it into the Spring.